Derby Trail Forums

Go Back   Derby Trail Forums > Main Forum > The Paddock
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 10-16-2010, 08:26 AM
Randwyck

cannon, as a trainer, do you think there is a possibility she has to be pampered
or is it a case of them being so hung up on the win streak they just decided to take the least amount of chances?
Old 10-16-2010, 08:41 AM
Woodbine

Quote:
Originally Posted by alysheba4 View Post
who cares.
right???? this is where i laugh out loud. theres probably half a dozen connections that feel they deserve horse of the year. happens every year. anyone that follows racing knows this horse is in the running. so what if the guy says they deserve it......its some kind of a crime....i guess.....who cares? then these people come up with all kinds of crap...."oh shes not running next month"..."punch him in the face" and all the absolutely brilliant responses...i thought most of the morons hung out in that political thread....i was wrong. then they are making fun of the guy thats not popular....who cares again? thats a badge of honor with the garbage i'm reading here.....lol
Old 10-16-2010, 09:08 AM
Turf Paradise

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cannon Shell View Post
I find it odd that people say this over and over and it couldnt be further from the truth. The sport is not starved for stars. In the last few years there have been quite a few "stars"; Smarty Jones, Big Brown, Curlin, RA, Zenyatta. Now they are only stars in the current climate because while very nice horses, their records dont stack up to the greats of yesteryear. However all got far more than the normal media coverage usually afforded to racehorses. Of course despite this and "all the good that Zenyatta" supposedly has done for rcing, the numbers continue to trend downwards.

And the idea that Zenyatta was campaigned on the cupcake tour for HER own good is laughable.

And I can't speak for anyone else there is zero chance that I would have not challenged her if I had the chance to choose her races.
Chuck I respect your opinion as someone who has made a successful career in this industry. My comments about a dying sport and need for more starpower were not articulated well. My basic idea is that I am a 31yo sales and marketing professional, who attends CD regularly and gambles over 250 days a year. If I ran my business the same way the leaders of your industry run theirs I would be living on the streets of Shivley! They DON'T get it. I know this is nothing new to you or most on DT, but instead of the greed giant that is Kee charging $10 to park, $5 to enter, etc, etc, etc I wish people would focus on how to promote an undefeated star to the audiences that don't spend every spare minute combing sites, blogs, forms, etc to get our facing fix, ie the casual Saturday afternoon fan. I love this sport and have a passion for it and I have exactly ONE friend my age who feels the same and we live in Central KY, the supposed mecca of the sport. What does that say? Nothing to us, because we already know, but Sausage Man Evans or Nicholson refuse to listen because all they care about is MORE MORE MORE. This is a rambling mess and there was supposed to be a comment about promoting Zenyatta somewhere, obviously I am not as eloquent as I need to be! Good day.
Old 10-16-2010, 09:36 AM
Oaklawn

Quote:
cannon, as a trainer, do you think there is a possibility she has to be pampered
or is it a case of them being so hung up on the win streak they just decided to take the least amount of chances?
Grade 1 winner and winning streak? go figure
Old 10-16-2010, 09:51 AM
Sha Tin

Quote:
Option 2
Old 10-16-2010, 10:04 AM
Sha Tin

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDank34 View Post
Chuck I respect your opinion as someone who has made a successful career in this industry. My comments about a dying sport and need for more starpower were not articulated well. My basic idea is that I am a 31yo sales and marketing professional, who attends CD regularly and gambles over 250 days a year. If I ran my business the same way the leaders of your industry run theirs I would be living on the streets of Shivley! They DON'T get it. I know this is nothing new to you or most on DT, but instead of the greed giant that is Kee charging $10 to park, $5 to enter, etc, etc, etc I wish people would focus on how to promote an undefeated star to the audiences that don't spend every spare minute combing sites, blogs, forms, etc to get our facing fix, ie the casual Saturday afternoon fan. I love this sport and have a passion for it and I have exactly ONE friend my age who feels the same and we live in Central KY, the supposed mecca of the sport. What does that say? Nothing to us, because we already know, but Sausage Man Evans or Nicholson refuse to listen because all they care about is MORE MORE MORE. This is a rambling mess and there was supposed to be a comment about promoting Zenyatta somewhere, obviously I am not as eloquent as I need to be! Good day.
I agree with most of what you are saying. But the industry's ills are never going to be solved because there is a really good horse that is promoted well. You are 100% correct in suggesting that greed has done a lot of damage to this sport (and not just on the part of the tracks). What I dont understand is why we aren't promting the fact that you can bring a little bit of money to the track and leave with alot. Horses have a short shelf life and in the majority of cases always did. Zenyatta will soon be forgotten by most. But a guy who wins 5k at the track ? He will be back. I guarantee that. The pretty horse people? Yeah they will follow a bit after the retirement of their current love but they will look to find some reason (whips, drugs, PG1985, etc) not to follow the game soon afterwards.
Old 10-16-2010, 11:36 AM
Dee Tee Stables

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnny pinwheel View Post
right???? this is where i laugh out loud. theres probably half a dozen connections that feel they deserve horse of the year. happens every year. anyone that follows racing knows this horse is in the running. so what if the guy says they deserve it......its some kind of a crime....i guess.....who cares? then these people come up with all kinds of crap...."oh shes not running next month"..."punch him in the face" and all the absolutely brilliant responses...i thought most of the morons hung out in that political thread....i was wrong. then they are making fun of the guy thats not popular....who cares again? thats a badge of honor with the garbage i'm reading here.....lol
your post, and another i saw recently by someone else, makes me wonder why some bother coming here? why do people hang around DT if it's so insufferable?

as for zenyatta, what has she done this year that's HOY material? she didn't win 19 races this year. she won a few vs lackluster competition in restricted races. how does that make her eligible?
Old 10-16-2010, 12:27 PM
Flemington

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cannon Shell View Post
I agree with most of what you are saying. But the industry's ills are never going to be solved because there is a really good horse that is promoted well. You are 100% correct in suggesting that greed has done a lot of damage to this sport (and not just on the part of the tracks). What I dont understand is why we aren't promting the fact that you can bring a little bit of money to the track and leave with alot. Horses have a short shelf life and in the majority of cases always did. Zenyatta will soon be forgotten by most. But a guy who wins 5k at the track ? He will be back. I guarantee that. The pretty horse people? Yeah they will follow a bit after the retirement of their current love but they will look to find some reason (whips, drugs, PG1985, etc) not to follow the game soon afterwards.
Need to make it easier to do that. That's not being done. So, don't expect any improvement (until it changes.) Take-out must be slashed. Could start by not giving out 180k to the horse who beats only 5 other horses. Right now, Craps has the %. You've got the game, but they've got the better deal. That difference needs to be reduced. The reason the sport struggles is easy to state: Insufficient reward for the difficulty of the task.

Last edited by SCUDSBROTHER : 10-16-2010 at 01:03 PM.
Old 10-16-2010, 07:37 PM
Oaklawn

Scuds is right "Insufficient reward for the difficulty of the task.". The industry is doomed to fail when it is impossible to own a horse and make a profit.

Hell you dont even have a fighting chance at breaking even when you have a horse in training and racing, so what are you going to load in the starting gate as the old racing families pass away as they are now? Who is going to replace them with large stables?
Old 10-16-2010, 08:30 PM
Washington Park

I think she backs out of the BCC too.
Old 10-16-2010, 08:44 PM
Hialeah Park

"She’s going to go off to the pasture and she’s either 19-for-20 or 20-for-20. I think she’s going to be okay.”

Yup... sounds like they are telegraphing a clear message that they plan to back out
Old 10-16-2010, 11:21 PM
Hialeah Park

Quote:
Originally Posted by trackrat59 View Post
I think she backs out of the BCC too.
I have a moped I'd like to sell you, it's only $37,875!! ROCK (lay off them) bottom price!
"A person who saw no important difference between the fire outside a Neandrathal's cave and a working thermo-nuclear reactor might tell you that junk bonds and derivatives BOTH serve to energize capital"

- Nathan Israel
Old 10-17-2010, 08:13 AM
Oaklawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by monipenny View Post
A time 4 honoring yourself will soon be at a end. The plain truth of it is that Sheriff's body of work is brilliant:All-time winningest mare who has remained undefeated through 3 yrs of un-interrupted training practically.
Guy has a Kentucky Derby win on his resume w/ less then average animal of any quality that's won the Derby, but just ask Pletcher, Mott, Shug, Zito, Baffert, if they really give a flip what we or you really think.The aforementioned gentleman have won the big one and the others on the list have wanted just a chance but failed.
Sheriff's is now a private trainer for mostly a few select clients who want nothing other then to have there immence egos flattered by winning the big one's and gaining national recognition right? You think winning the Derby w/ Giacamo hurt his sales or left him wanting. HTFN, he just said thank you very much for the roses and went about having his name engeaved into history as a Ky Derby winning owner. Not bad in my book
Sheriff's and his wife who happens to be racing manager 4 the Moss' just go along there merry way winning races and garnering jealous rages of fits from the minions who despise them so.
Just to keep such a HUGE horse from being hurt is a feat in its self and I wonder if she would still be racing if she were on dirt.(her best surface)
Old 10-17-2010, 01:14 PM
Pimlico

Quite honestly, I've been saying the same things as John Shirreffs all year and don't really have a major problem with the handling. IMO had she been east coast based and stayed home and faced just mares even though there was better racing outside of NY, no one would be saying a thing.

IMO there is one major issue that makes this debate so heated.

People have very strong and different opinions about synthetic racing in general, the quality of racing in CA overall, how best to measure the ability of synthetic horses because the racing is so different than dirt racing, and how to compare synthetic (or even turf horses) to dirt horses on a relative basis.

The problem for them this year is that the CA mare division was atrocious other than St Trinians and no one showed up at the Apple Blossom. So she beat absolutely nothing all year. It's impossible to make a case for HOTY in 2010 unless they win the Classic or run an outstanding race and finish ahead of all the other contenders for the title and the winner is a major upset.

Last edited by classhandicapper : 10-17-2010 at 01:28 PM.
Old 10-17-2010, 02:10 PM
Fairgrounds

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thunder Gulch View Post
With the level of competition, maybe they could give her the Claiming Crown instead.

But I bet there may be a horse or two at Canterbury that could do her in.
Old 10-17-2010, 02:51 PM
Oaklawn

IMO there is one major issue that makes this debate so heated.

Most people LOVE to HATE.

Its a character flaw, due to poor breeding.
Old 10-17-2010, 02:59 PM
Flemington

Quote:
Originally Posted by randallscott35 View Post
Wait so now she doesn't even have to win and she still would get it....The whole gang surrounding this horse couldn't be less likable if they tried.
QR, Blame and Lookin At Luckys resumes are all good enough to win HOY if they win the Classic.
Old 10-17-2010, 03:02 PM
Flemington

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clip-Clop View Post
Right now, Blind Luck deserves it more than Zenyatta.
I think Z is 5-10 lenghts faster/better on any surface. Funny BL finds ways to lose. I think at least twice this year? Her wins are Kinda like Zenyatta, barley wins half the time.
Old 10-17-2010, 03:05 PM
Flemington

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dahoss View Post
What bothers me the most about Team Zenyatta is they think everyone has the horse racing acumen of Smooth Operator.

This is the team that was responsible for the travelling over the rockies comment earlier. Then Rail Trip was the highest mountain. Now regardless of her finish, in the race they coddled her for all year, she deserves HOY? Amazing.

HOY isn't some kind of lifetime achievement award. That's what the Hall of Fame is for and she'll be in there in due time. HOY is for the horse who has accomplished the most over the course of the year on the track. IMO a case could be made that even with a win in the Classic she doesn't deserve the award this year.

Anyone who doesn't think Team Zenyatta doesn't care about HOY is fooling themselves. They desperately want it, to fuel their own ego.
I agree with most of your points, but.... For a while Rail Trip was the highest mountain out there, sure the connections are lame and should have won the Pacific Classic, but whatever... A lot of people really liked Rail Trip, and thought he would move way up on dirt, BTW being one of them.....What Rail Trip has done since, should not take away from his form when they did duck him. Win the Classic and still not be HOY, that is totally absurd. The group is deep, all the major players will be there.... If she runs 2-3 and anyone but QR, Blame, L@L win it, she still might be HOY.
Old 10-17-2010, 04:58 PM
Saratoga

Quote:
Originally Posted by geeker2 View Post
"She’s going to go off to the pasture and she’s either 19-for-20 or 20-for-20. I think she’s going to be okay.”

Yup... sounds like they are telegraphing a clear message that they plan to back out
I'm thinking it's like the use of foreshadowing in film.

It could mean if she loses the BC but it could, in Zenyattaspeak*, mean something else.

* TM pending.