Derby Trail Forums

Go Back   Derby Trail Forums > Main Forum > The Paddock
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Closed Thread

Old 07-04-2009, 09:27 AM
Del Mar

As much as a track announcer wants a certain horse to win or lose (whether he is betting the race or representing a jockey in the race), I dont think he can change the outcome of a race. So what does it matter if he is or isnt bias? And theres always that great invention known as the mute button. Seriously, at least Vic gets the names of the horses right. While Tom Durkin is a fantastic voice in this game, he seems to constantly miss call the names of the horses and hardly ever gets criticized for it, nor does he for not picking up the moves of eventual winners as quickly as a guy like Vic or Trevor Denman consistently do. I like all 3 very much (Vic, Trevor & Tom). No matter how hard the track announcer is pulling for a horse (they all do), he cant help them win a race!
Old 07-04-2009, 09:28 AM
Sheepshead Bay

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duvalier
Sounds to me like Stonegossard had a few losing tickets on the 6th at Hollywood. Get over it...seriously whining about an announcer's race calls. How many threads do you need to start on the subject?

I believe this is my first thread (maybe 2nd). Email your address, I will send you an abacus so you can keep count.

I didn't bet the race. I only bet dirt tracks and grass. Thanks for your concern though.
Old 07-04-2009, 09:29 AM
Lincoln Fields

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duvalier
Get over it and stop whining...you sound like a real goober.
It doesn't seem like whining to me. It seems like an extremely fair point. One of the jobs that Vic Stauffer holds clearly can and has an impact on the way he performs another, and it just happens that the job that is impacted is the one in which he performs it on a national level, so as fans, bettors, and anything else, the one thing that he needs to do is have the utmost professionalism in his race calls, which admittedtly he goes over the top a bit with Rosario, because he has a particular interest in what Rosario does. You have yet to provide any explanation or reasoning as to why stonegossard's point is wrong or over the top.
Old 07-04-2009, 09:30 AM
Randwyck

Quote:
Originally Posted by stonegossard
I believe this is my first thread (maybe 2nd). Email your address, I will send you an abacus so you can keep count.

I didn't bet the race. I only bet dirt tracks and grass. Thanks for your concern though.
BITE ME
©v j stauffer
Old 07-04-2009, 09:31 AM
Lincoln Fields

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobby Fischer
what the hell are you talking about? he sonned you in two words.
What the hell are you talking about? Gossard brought up a legitimate issue, in a calm and relaxed manner, that the very least begged a professional and curteous response, not a egotistical and pompous response from a leading professional in the industry.
Old 07-04-2009, 09:32 AM
Sheepshead Bay

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigsmc
Really?

Am I the only one here that didn't take Vic's response seriously?

While the original post may have been "measured", it was completely over the top and put forth with the intent to elicit a response from Vic. He got one. I laughed. Apparently you, and others, don't see it that way.

Let's not forget where we are. Vic didn't say bite me in Bloodhorse or on TVG/HRTV, he said it on an internet message board.

I'd prefer to see honesty and emotion here from our "industry professionals", rather than the company line.
Please......Stauffer was basically telling me to F#ck off. IF he was on TVG and I called in and made the same comment to me he would be fired on the spot by Hollywood. Part of being in the spotlight is acting professional and handling fan's criticism. If my comment was so out of line he would have laughed it off and in a professional way responded. Instead he acted like a a little kid. I obviously hit a nerve and he somewhat agrees with me.
Old 07-04-2009, 09:32 AM
The Curragh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigsmc
Really?

Am I the only one here that didn't take Vic's response seriously?

While the original post may have been "measured", it was completely over the top and put forth with the intent to elicit a response from Vic. He got one. I laughed. Apparently you, and others, don't see it that way.

Let's not forget where we are. Vic didn't say bite me in Bloodhorse or on TVG/HRTV, he said it on an internet message board.

I'd prefer to see honesty and emotion here from our "industry professionals", rather than the company line.
Exactly, it was laugh out loud funny and while it may not have been worthy of addressing a court room or formal hearing it was a short, to the point way of saying "I disagree" which loses the levity it produced.

The guy has been perpetually hearing this nonsense about the ethical compromise of representing Rosario from the first day it was announced. He went to his bosses and got their blessing yet he still has to hear these clairvoyant crumudgeons criticize the intentions of every race call that Rosario is involved in over and over. At some point a more colorful reaction to this same lame point is warranted. When the guy posts here I hope he is looked at as off the clock if not there is another discussion to be had.
Old 07-04-2009, 09:44 AM
Fairgrounds

Don't you people have anything better to talk about?This whole thread is ridiculous.
Old 07-04-2009, 09:45 AM
Sheepshead Bay

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_fat_man
I don't think so. Especially the latter part. Did you watch the race? Rosario's horse is making a huge move and anyone who isn't blind can see it. Did you want him to wait until midstretch before mentioning the horse? Is it a conservative/generic call we're after or one which demonstrates some skill from the caller? What sets Vic ABOVE ALL the other race callers out there is he has a strong sense of setups and ANTICIPATES moves. The dude is uncanny at this.

And for all the times 'Pete' has done NOTHING but **** WITH PEOPLE because he's clueless as to even the basics of the game, here you choose to come to his defense? Very disappointing. Why don't you go back and compare his positive to his negative threads and see where we stand. How about we ENCOURAGE VIC to contribute MORE, since he's got more than a clue, and discourage some of the ****ers that have nothing to contribute but still feel the need to stir **** up?

Typed while in excruciating pain, and after having been up all night, after one of my crowns dislodged, exposing the nerve.
Yeah Fatman, you bring a lot to the table. All you do is complain complain complain. God forbid someone takes the otherside of your opinion. While I do speak my mind and do stir up some sh#t, at least I am not on here 24 hours a day complaining about NYRA...complaining about tracks not having Trakus...complaining about jocks....complaining about other's speed figures...complaining about tracks taking races off of the turf after monsoons. You must be an overall loser at the track, because if you were on the winning side you wouldn't bi#ch about EVERYTHING.

It's funny having a guy who whines constantly on here and cries about everything saying I bring nothing to the table. You want to compare threads, bring it on. Outside of being the board complainer you really don't contribute anything of substance. Sure you have long winded threads about pace...lost ground....etc.....but 90% of your posts are you crying and whining like a little brat. You are not the expert you think you are. You just like to try and impress others with a lot of words.

We can go back and forth all day. But why clog up Steve's board. If you ever come out of hiding and make it down to Gulfstream/Calder do let me know. We can iron out our differences in person.
Old 07-04-2009, 09:47 AM
Belmont Park

Quote:
Originally Posted by docicu3
Exactly, it was laugh out loud funny and while it may not have been worthy of addressing a court room or formal hearing it was a short, to the point way of saying "I disagree" which loses the levity it produced.

The guy has been perpetually hearing this nonsense about the ethical compromise of representing Rosario from the first day it was announced. He went to his bosses and got their blessing yet he still has to hear these clairvoyant crumudgeons criticize the intentions of every race call that Rosario is involved in over and over. At some point a more colorful reaction to this same lame point is warranted. When the guy posts here I hope he is looked at as off the clock if not there is another discussion to be had.

His bosses are lame ducks as is Vic. They all could give two Shiits as the place is DONE.. All Victoria(since we can all act like children) had to do was respond in some sort of professional manner. Something like Pete I call them the way I see them or Pete I will keep it in mind as sometimes the the heart gets in the way of the head would have sufficed. Instead we got Pete I am losing my job in a few months nobody is going to hire me to call races which I love and because of that I have lost my friggin mind and tell folks who are making reasonable points to F off..

Remember I think Vic is pretty dam good but apparently keeping his head in the game has escaped him..
Old 07-04-2009, 09:52 AM
Sheepshead Bay

Quote:
Originally Posted by freddymo
First of all Pete is hardly clueless and perhaps everybit as sharp as you are when it comes to handicapping. Secondly, his comments were fair enough and were hardly inflamatory if Vic had elected to deal with them professionally.
Vic is in a precarious position. I am not aware of any business that would allow such a obviously conflict to continue. Instead of embracing constructive critism,"FATBURGER",Vic choose the juvy approach which is disheartening since he could have used this as an opportunity to tell us all about what his next career will entail when Hollywood gets bulldozed. Perhaps Vic doesn't give a dam as he knows the light at the end of the tunnel isn't shining on him in the cat birds seat calling racings in 2010?

I have always enjoyed Vic as an announcer and think he does a terrific job.

Thanks Freddy. There are some sharp guys on here. The Fatman isn't one of them. I will take my 24 years of going to the track and put it against him and his long winded opinions any day. While I do stir up some sh#t on here I never come on and say I am a better capper than so and so. I don't know really care how others do at the track...doesn't effect my bankroll.

The Fatman says he has me on ignore, but it's obvious he pays attention to any post I make.
Old 07-04-2009, 10:03 AM
Sheepshead Bay

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyJ
What the hell are you talking about? Gossard brought up a legitimate issue, in a calm and relaxed manner, that the very least begged a professional and curteous response, not a egotistical and pompous response from a leading professional in the industry.

I thought my post was pretty mellow and straight to the point. I could see if I was posting to some knucklehead on here and they said "bite me". But Stauffer is in the public eye calling a major meet. He should be acting like a professional. I can only assume by his response that my post was on the mark.
Old 07-04-2009, 10:05 AM
Idlewild Airport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kasept
Vic,

Sorry... While everyone is entitled to the occasional outburst or angry reply, this a very disappointing response from an industry professional given the measured tone of Pete's original post. You are in a slightly awkward position holding book and calling, and acknowledging that there is a race where you occasionally cross the line is only going to win you the understanding of viewers. The above is an Albert Belle-esque antic, and only demonstrates that you recognize you were overly cognizant of Rosario's spot in the race.
An Albert Belle forearm shimmy to Fernando Vina indeed....I am a Vic fan but I agree Steve.
Old 07-04-2009, 10:06 AM
Idlewild Airport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gander
As much as a track announcer wants a certain horse to win or lose (whether he is betting the race or representing a jockey in the race), I dont think he can change the outcome of a race. So what does it matter if he is or isnt bias? And theres always that great invention known as the mute button. Seriously, at least Vic gets the names of the horses right. While Tom Durkin is a fantastic voice in this game, he seems to constantly miss call the names of the horses and hardly ever gets criticized for it, nor does he for not picking up the moves of eventual winners as quickly as a guy like Vic or Trevor Denman consistently do. I like all 3 very much (Vic, Trevor & Tom). No matter how hard the track announcer is pulling for a horse (they all do), he cant help them win a race!
That's because Durkin has gotten old, before that he was awesome always.
Old 07-04-2009, 10:13 AM
Oaklawn

Default no, he did not

Quote:
i just went back and deleted some of my posts here. my childish emotional responses aren't warrented either, and are unneeded saved up annoyance with former stonegossard trolling. heres an attempt to be mature -

It is NOT calm or relaxed when you say:

"What was by far the most biased call of a race occurred..."
"Hollywood Park really needs to sit down with Vic S "
"either you are a jockey agent or our announcer....not both"
"It's really an embarassment to Hollywood Park"
"Hopefully whatever track picks up the dates has an announcer who isn't also a jock's agent"

These are NOT BEGGING A COURTEOUS PROFESSIONAL RESPONSE. these are attacks directly on a man's livelyhood. Get ****ing real. there is no debate whatsoever. read the above quotes again and forget how cool a guy Pete is or how long you've been buds. SG Came right out and challenged a man's livelyhood.

Does he have the right to?? YES 100% Steve Byk has been awesome in that he tends to allow posts like that. But don't fool yourself gossard made serious allegations and said directly that Stauffer should lose his job.

Whether Stauffer should write out a canned response is pretty much his choice. Anywhere from ignoring the post, to a canned response, to a FUKC YOU would have been appropriate.
Old 07-04-2009, 10:17 AM
The Curragh

Quote:
I thought my post was pretty mellow and straight to the point. I could see if I was posting to some knucklehead on here and they said "bite me". But Stauffer is in the public eye calling a major meet. He should be acting like a professional. I can only assume by his response that my post was on the mark.
Whoa sunshine!!!

Is it possible that perhaps he doesn't agree and like I said is just sick of hearing this every time Rosario is part of the race. I would be a little less content with your assessment of peoples thoughts and motivations that youhave no basis for as your not in their head's.

The guy is probably just getting up and has no idea what has gone on here over night....I have no idea what you do for a living but if somebody told you that what you were doing was unethical and that you should check it out with your bosses (CRB not track officials in this case) and you did so but people just can't stay out of your personal business....at some point you tell them to take a hike!! Vic doesn't affect the outcomes of races, has done his due diligence and unless I am missing something, has done nothing wrong so enough with your insistence that HE thinks your right.

The tone here oscillates between scholarly and bar room brawl depending on the winds of the day. You take what you need and leave the rest IMO. TFM actually has his moments of contributing usefull info, a little gruff but bothsome only if you let him get to you. I too am a member of IggyU.
Old 07-04-2009, 10:19 AM
Oaklawn

Quote:
Shocking reply Vic..really. You are a true professional. Obviously I hit a nerve and am correct. If I was way out of line then you would have come back with a more mature response and not act like a 6 year old.

It's too bad you can't handle criticism. Perhaps behavior like this is why Gulfstream got rid of you. I am not sure if Hollywood is running in the fall, but if they are hopefully they sit you down and get you to stop giving such biased calls. I believe you call another track during the Del Mar meet....some tiny fair which nobody pays attention to.....Rosario won't be there so maybe you can concentrate on the other horses in the race.
Plain and simple, YOU attacked his work and now you expect him to be polite and say thank you very much. This is a message board and our opinions really dont count on a higher level. Well except BTW , Morty and DeHoss.
Old 07-04-2009, 10:19 AM
Lincoln Fields

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobby Fischer
i just went back and deleted some of my posts here. my childish emotional responses aren't warrented either, and are unneeded saved up annoyance with former stonegossard trolling. heres an attempt to be mature -

It is NOT calm or relaxed when you say:

"What was by far the most biased call of a race occurred..."
"Hollywood Park really needs to sit down with Vic S "
"either you are a jockey agent or our announcer....not both"
"It's really an embarassment to Hollywood Park"
"Hopefully whatever track picks up the dates has an announcer who isn't also a jock's agent"

These are NOT BEGGING A COURTEOUS PROFESSIONAL RESPONSE. these are attacks directly on a man's livelyhood. Get ****ing real. there is no debate whatsoever. read the above quotes again and forget how cool a guy Pete is or how long you've been buds. SG Came right out and challenged a man's livelyhood.

Does he have the right to?? YES 100% Steve Byk has been awesome in that he tends to allow posts like that. But don't fool yourself gossard made serious allegations and said directly that Stauffer should lose his job.

Whether Stauffer should write out a canned response is pretty much his choice. Anywhere from ignoring the post, to a canned response, to a FUKC YOU would have been appropriate.
Get over yourself for crying out loud. Gossard made the point that Stauffer clearly made a biased race call last night, illustrating the point that Stauffer let his other "profession" and "professional relationship" with Joel Rosario get in the way of his main profession as Hollywood Park's race caller. He's making the point that just maybe Stauffer should pick one or the other, race caller or jock's agent. You don't see any other race callers acting as jock's agents. Or you don't see jock agents in racing offices or anything along those lines. And exactly where did gossard say "Vic Stauffer should lose his job?" Yes, he did comment that whichever track picks up Hollywood's days should have a race caller only be a race caller but that's not calling for Stauffer's job.
Old 07-04-2009, 10:21 AM
Randwyck

Quote:
Get over yourself for crying out loud. Gossard made the point that Stauffer clearly made a biased race call last night, illustrating the point that Stauffer let his other "profession" and "professional relationship" with Joel Rosario get in the way of his main profession as Hollywood Park's race caller. He's making the point that just maybe Stauffer should pick one or the other, race caller or jock's agent. You don't see any other race callers acting as jock's agents. Or you don't see jock agents in racing offices or anything along those lines. And exactly where did gossard say "Vic Stauffer should lose his job?" Yes, he did comment that whichever track picks up Hollywood's days should have a race caller only be a race caller but that's not calling for Stauffer's job.
Are you really that thick?
Old 07-04-2009, 10:26 AM
Lincoln Fields

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Hot4TV
Plain and simple, YOU attacked his work and now you expect him to be polite and say thank you very much. This is a message board and our opinions really dont count on a higher level. Well except BTW , Morty and DeHoss.
He "attacked" his work because there is a clear potential bias towards a person involved in the industry that Stauffer works with and has the potential to gain from when the person (Rosario) wins or suceeds. Instead of a snide remark such as "Bite Me", a response such as yeah, there are some times where I may go over the edge regarding horses that Joel rides, but that's the nature of representing someone in both positions I work in. It's something that will happen occasionally, but I work my hardest to not let it happen, but it's something that will happen, and it's something that Hollywood Park has accepted and the fans will have to understand. That goes a whole lot further in my opinion, especially from an industry professional who is one of this industry's most recognizable faces.
Closed Thread