Derby Trail Forums

Go Back   Derby Trail Forums > Main Forum > The Paddock
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Closed Thread

Old 07-04-2009, 12:15 AM
Sheepshead Bay

Default Stauffer's call of the 6th tonight.

What was by far the most biased call of a race occurred in the 6th tonight at Hollywood. I think Hollywood Park really needs to sit down with Vic S and say "either you are a jockey agent or our announcer....not both".

In the 6th race Approaching the far turn Ellie L (5 horse), ridden by Rosario was beginning to make a move, from that point on all Stauffer did was mention the 5 horse . You would have thought the horse was a 1-5 shot....not a 9-2 shot. But because it was his guy's horse, Stauffer went on and on as the horse moved. It's amazing in a big field that he would do something like that. Especially with a horse who was not going to win (as it turned out the horse on the lead jumped into the rail...so the 5 did get up).

It's really an embarassment to Hollywood Park that they would have a guy who is so biased towards his jock's mounts call the races there. Tonight's pandering to his guy's horse was beyond ridiculous. I guess because Hollywood is on it's way out they really don't care. Hopefully whatever track picks up the dates has an announcer who isn't also a jock's agent.
Old 07-04-2009, 12:24 AM
Hialeah Park

Yes, cause no one could recognize she was making a move that would put her in the top two.
Old 07-04-2009, 01:42 AM
Oriental Park

lol, I thought it was funny "Ellie L ducks into the rail and it might of cost her the race"....ya think?
Old 07-04-2009, 01:50 AM
Ellis Park

I watched the replay and think your imagining things. First of all, he said "the horse catches the eye" um yeah.... a horse that moves from last to 4th in an eighth of a mile tends to do that.

Second of all, most announcers if they see a horse is on the move, will keep an extra eye on that horse.

Third of all, having watched lots of Hollywood races, when Vic has seen a horse moving like that, no matter who the rider is, he will call that horse and pay extra close attention too it....why, because as the race caller he's telling you "the fan and horseplayer" that the horse has got a big shot.

fourth of all, I've never ragged on an announcer for a call of any kind when i had a winning ticket in my hand. So i'm guessing you weren't rooting for Ellie L.

Vic's the man, i think your just trying to pick a fight or have a bone to pick. just my observations

On twitter @BeemieAwards
Old 07-04-2009, 02:22 AM
v j stauffer

Quote:
Originally Posted by stonegossard
What was by far the most biased call of a race occurred in the 6th tonight at Hollywood. I think Hollywood Park really needs to sit down with Vic S and say "either you are a jockey agent or our announcer....not both".

In the 6th race Approaching the far turn Ellie L (5 horse), ridden by Rosario was beginning to make a move, from that point on all Stauffer did was mention the 5 horse . You would have thought the horse was a 1-5 shot....not a 9-2 shot. But because it was his guy's horse, Stauffer went on and on as the horse moved. It's amazing in a big field that he would do something like that. Especially with a horse who was not going to win (as it turned out the horse on the lead jumped into the rail...so the 5 did get up).

It's really an embarassment to Hollywood Park that they would have a guy who is so biased towards his jock's mounts call the races there. Tonight's pandering to his guy's horse was beyond ridiculous. I guess because Hollywood is on it's way out they really don't care. Hopefully whatever track picks up the dates has an announcer who isn't also a jock's agent.
Interesting take.

Here's mine.

BITE ME
Old 07-04-2009, 02:36 AM
Flemington

I've been listening for this, and I haven't heard any of it. Fact is that if you watch these animals 4 or 5 days a week, it's not that hard to see who has horse n' who doesn't. The races that seem tough to call would be races like the 5th race. Rosario n' Solis came to the wire together. I think it must be tough for him to seem like he doesn't care which one wins(when, obviously, he does care.) He's doing it really well though. Seems like he can somehow block it out. Even gave Strawberry Tart a big "YES" when she roared past Joel (on Jehan) in the Stakes tonite.

Last edited by SCUDSBROTHER : 07-04-2009 at 02:49 AM.
Old 07-04-2009, 05:25 AM
Aqueduct

Quote:
Originally Posted by v j stauffer
Interesting take.

Here's mine.

BITE ME

Priceless
Old 07-04-2009, 06:11 AM
Del Mar

Quote:
Interesting take.

Here's mine.

BITE ME
Whoa whoa whoa. Looks like someone needs to grow some skin and "class up". Bite me?

I think the point made in the original post is quite valid. There is an obvious conflict of interest here.
Old 07-04-2009, 06:25 AM
The Curragh

Quote:
Interesting take.

Here's mine.

BITE ME

The fact that you refuse to "Bigtime" the guy by ignoring or refusing to engage the guy who authored the thread speaks to your fairness and candor. Andy agrees with < 5% of the opinions here and nobody is telling him to be "more chalky corporate" if you want to stay employed with NYRA.

Having a take and not sucking with it, is more important than whether your making a few bucks in the game picking up mounts for a kid who is bright enough to hire you. You entertain me and better yet it's free and I thank you for the smiles you bring to the game which should focus more on entertaining and educating it's fanbase rather than soap boxing to sterilize ever last bit of clever color left in it.....thanks for hanging around here it's just another reason to read the site daily.
Old 07-04-2009, 06:27 AM
Goodwood

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalakhani
Whoa whoa whoa. Looks like someone needs to grow some skin and "class up". Bite me?

I think the point made in the original post is quite valid. There is an obvious conflict of interest here.
I think Jballs explanation and Vic's response were both spot on.

It seems some folks around here are trying to tweak Vic. I'm pretty sure his skin is thicker than most. He can handle himself in an internet exchange (I've witnessed some on other boards). He doesn't need my defending, but this whole bias thing is silly.

When you are a the top of your profession in your half of the country, people are always going to try to knock you down a peg. We have several other race callers on this board that never seem to get "critiqued" like Vic does here.
Old 07-04-2009, 06:40 AM
Del Mar

OK, watched it. I think it was a good catch of a horse making a nice move. He could have mentioned that 3-4 other horses were loosing ground and tiring but what's the point in that?

Objectively, if he had not said anything, objectively that is, we'd be complaining like the call on MTB in the Derby.

Move on....
Old 07-04-2009, 06:46 AM
Del Mar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigsmc
I think Jballs explanation and Vic's response were both spot on.

It seems some folks around here are trying to tweak Vic. I'm pretty sure his skin is thicker than most. He can handle himself in an internet exchange (I've witnessed some on other boards). He doesn't need my defending, but this whole bias thing is silly.

When you are a the top of your profession in your half of the country, people are always going to try to knock you down a peg. We have several other race callers on this board that never seem to get "critiqued" like Vic does here.
I actually enjoy Vic's calls and I have defended his rider many times on here. And your points are well taken Bigs. But isnt the fact that there is room to question the relationship at all enough to say that there is a conflict of interest?
Old 07-04-2009, 06:55 AM
Del Mar

And no other announcer bets on races? Of course there's a conflict, but, it doesn't change the outcome of one race and anytime you have one person calling a race with more than one horse, you are bound to hear some biased if only based on how they take in the race.

Quote:
I actually enjoy Vic's calls and I have defended his rider many times on here. And your points are well taken Bigs. But isnt the fact that there is room to question the relationship at all enough to say that there is a conflict of interest?
Old 07-04-2009, 06:56 AM
Flemington

Quote:
Interesting take.

Here's mine.

BITE ME
I know it's the internet and all and we all get a little more brave - but would you speak to a customer at the track like that? I'd like to think that Hollywood expects a bit more professionalism.
Old 07-04-2009, 07:01 AM
Del Mar

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSpyder
And no other announcer bets on races? Of course there's a conflict, but, it doesn't change the outcome of one race and anytime you have one person calling a race with more than one horse, you are bound to hear some biased if only based on how they take in the race.

Its not the gambling aspect. Its business.

And, really, I didnt know anything biased about the call in the 6th race and I really don't notice much of one if at all ever. Thats not the point.
Goodwood

Quote:
There is room and everyone is allowed to state their opinion. As a horseplayer trying to eek out a profit on a daily basis, that perceived conflict of interest does not affect me in any way.

If I am watching a race in a 3" x 5" box on my computer screen, I want a racecaller to tell me who that is making a move because I may or may not be able to make out the silks or saddle cloth in that tiny box. When I am at the track, I am not a binoculars guy, so I want the dude upstairs (shout out to Richard Grunder ) to help me out a bit when a horse is making a move 1/4 mile away from my failing naked eyes. The thought of who that jock's agent is or who the racecaller is representing never enters my mind, I just want to know what's going on in the race and I just want to cash tickets.
Del Mar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sightseek
I know it's the internet and all and we all get a little more brave - but would you speak to a customer at the track like that? I'd like to think that Hollywood expects a bit more professionalism.
Exactly. Well put Sightseek.
Old 07-04-2009, 07:03 AM
Del Mar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigsmc
There is room and everyone is allowed to state their opinion. As a horseplayer trying to eek out a profit on a daily basis, that perceived conflict of interest does not affect me in any way.

If I am watching a race in a 3" x 5" box on my computer screen, I want a racecaller to tell me who that is making a move because I may or may not be able to make out the silks or saddle cloth in that tiny box. When I am at the track, I am not a binoculars guy, so I want the dude upstairs (shout out to Richard Grunder ) to help me out a bit when a horse is making a move 1/4 mile away from my failing naked eyes. The thought of who that jock's agent is or who the racecaller is representing never enters my mind, I just want to know what's going on in the race and I just want to cash tickets.

Question. It may be a dumb question but it is what it is. Can/do jockeys hear the call of the announcer during the race?
Old 07-04-2009, 07:08 AM
Goodwood

Quote:
Question. It may be a dumb question but it is what it is. Can/do jockeys hear the call of the announcer during the race?
Good question. I would think they would be concentrating on what they are doing and if they could hear the track announcer, it would be white noise in the background of what they are trying to accomplish.

They do love to sneak peeks at that big screen in the infield.
Old 07-04-2009, 07:27 AM
Flemington

I thought the call was fine. Not only did the horse make a gigantic move, but he was the only one really making up any kind of ground. Maybe instead of taking him to task for the call maybe you should give Vic some credit for actually picking up a horse and acknowledging the move that was being made. These are the types of trips that Durkin & Denman have been crucified for missing (in very big races) and picking up way too late. I understand that this wasn't the Kentucky Derby, but it wasn't a 4 horse field either. Like I said, I thought it was a good call that would have been made whether Rosario was on the horse or not.