Derby Trail Forums

Go Back   Derby Trail Forums > The Charles Hatton Reading Room
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 11-13-2010, 11:30 PM
Sam Houston

Default Zenyatta Has Earned Horse of the Year

http://thesaturdaypost.org/blog/

If Zenyatta isn't awarded the title she rightfully deserves, it will be because a majority of voters have little understanding of what's in the best interest of racing. In my 40+ years as a racing fan, no single horse has done more for racing in a single year than Zenyatta. Rewarding her for this singular accomplishment transcends all other reasons for casting a HOTY ballot.
Old 11-13-2010, 11:43 PM
Oriental Park

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilentScreen View Post
If Zenyatta isn't awarded the title she rightfully deserves, it will be because a majority of voters have little understanding of what's in the best interest of racing. In my 40+ years as a racing fan, no single horse has done more for racing in a single year than Zenyatta. Rewarding her for this singular accomplishment transcends all other reasons for casting a HOTY ballot.
Your post is so urgent and apocalyptic that it sounds like Zenyatta should be awarded the Noble Peace Prize, never mind HOTY.

Can you please spell out, distinctly, what Zenyatta "has done for racing"?

If your answer involves Oprah and "60 Minutes" (I'm guessing some variation "new fans" is a necessity), please feel free to disregard my request.
Old 11-14-2010, 12:11 AM
Goodwood

The best argument I can make for Zenyatta winning HOY this year isn't for her great record, it's not for her dancing ability and it's not for her miraculous making up of 72 lengths in the last 1/16th of a mile in the BCC.

No, it's none of those.

What she should win it for is her uncanny ability to make otherwise seemingly normal people expose themselves for the idiots that they actually are.
Old 11-14-2010, 12:17 AM
Churchill Downs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indian Charlie View Post
The best argument I can make for Zenyatta winning HOY this year isn't for her great record, it's not for her dancing ability and it's not for her miraculous making up of 72 lengths in the last 1/16th of a mile in the BCC.

No, it's none of those.

What she should win it for is her uncanny ability to make otherwise seemingly normal people expose themselves for the idiots that they actually are. It should be noted that the idiocy of people like Smoo Operator has always been self evident.
FTFY
Old 11-14-2010, 12:19 AM
Goodwood

Yeah, that's probably true.

However, in all fairness to Mr. Smoothie, I thankfully had no idea he existed before Zenyatta came along and exposed him. It is within the realm of possibility that he wasn't always this way.

Chances are though that he was an obvious idiot at birth.
Old 11-14-2010, 12:21 AM
Goodwood

Oh, and Smooth Operators idiocy is CLEARLY not self evident. He sees himself as a Porsche driving Wall Street and real estate mogul. He honestly has no idea why people are calling him stupid.
Old 11-14-2010, 12:52 AM
Sam Houston

Quote:
Originally Posted by RolloTomasi View Post
Aside from reminding us what a true champion is like, she garnered the "positive" attention of millions of people throughout the year and was responsible for BC attendance, handle and ratings records.
Old 11-14-2010, 12:56 AM
Churchill Downs

Quote:
Aside from reminding us what a true champion is like, she garnered the "positive" attention of millions of people throughout the year and was responsible for BC attendance, handle and ratings records.
You mean a "true champion" who leaves her comfort zone once a year? She is the poster child for how to let cowardice get in the way of testing a talented horse.
Old 11-14-2010, 12:57 AM
Goodwood

Quote:
Originally Posted by RolloTomasi View Post
Your post is so urgent and apocalyptic that it sounds like Zenyatta should be awarded the Noble Peace Prize, never mind HOTY.

If your answer involves Oprah and "60 Minutes" (I'm guessing some variation "new fans" is a necessity), please feel free to disregard my request.
Adding to the post two above mine, she also is an excellent writer of fiction.
Old 11-14-2010, 01:07 AM
Flemington

I feel dumber for reading that blog post - but at least we have a 'rank'em' post

Old 11-14-2010, 01:08 AM
Saratoga

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Indomitable DrugS View Post
I feel dumber for reading that blog post - but at least we have a 'rank'em' post

1,8 beers, 12 beers
Old 11-14-2010, 01:24 AM
Flemington

Would you really need to have 8 or 12 beers in you to drill a girl wearing an outfit like that?

I would do it just to say I did. Kind of like banging a deaf chick or a midget. They sure wouldn't have to be a hot deaf chick or hot midget to get my salami.
Old 11-14-2010, 01:33 AM
v j stauffer

Quote:
The BC attendance, handle and ratings would have been exactly the same had she finished 7th beaten 16 lenghths.
Old 11-14-2010, 04:10 AM
Atlantic City Race Course

Quote:
Originally Posted by v j stauffer View Post
The BC attendance, handle and ratings would have been exactly the same had she finished 7th beaten 16 lenghths.
imagine the argument is - if she wasn't there, it would be less

I thought she would run no better than 3rd...
Old 11-14-2010, 06:13 AM
Woodbine

Quote:
Originally Posted by AeWingnut View Post
imagine the argument is - if she wasn't there, it would be less

I thought she would run no better than 3rd...
yeah, and if Mr. Ed was there....it would of brought in 100 more people so , mr. ed should be horse of the year. i kind of thought you should win to get the most votes. zenyatta came east twice, not once like someone here posted. she left her comfort zone twice ...its not her fault the "other" horse chicken sh!tted out for 5 mil. but still blame beat all comers in all the right races.........i'm guessing he wins by at least 30%.
Old 11-14-2010, 07:19 AM

I say again, do people realize the horses that have been running in the last 40 years? Does anybody really think folks are more jazzed up in 2010 about horse racing than they were in 1973, 1975, 1977, 1978, or 1979? The Washington Post, a generally solid newspaper in terms of racing coverage, had a tiny blurb about Zenyatta on page C7 or so in last week's sports section. I'm guessing the author of that blog post/Silent Screen think that Secretariat's Marlboro Cup or Spectactular Bid's walkover Woodward would have received similar coverage? I need my way-back machine because I'm pretty certain those races probably received front-freaking-page stories in their day. That horses like Affirmed, Ruffian, Alydar, and Seattle Slew - Seattle Slew!!!! - were somehow less important to horse racing than the manufactured career of an awesome, albeit flawed, mare who couldn't get past Blame in the biggest race of her life?

Come on, people who post things like that just can't be taken seriously.

And another thing, anytime I see someone who's like 42 says they have "40+ years of racing experience," they're probably lying.
Old 11-14-2010, 07:23 AM

P.S. - having now actually read the blog post, I've reached the sad, but true conclusion that smartbid actually makes a much more salient argument for Zenyatta as HOTY than the person who wrote that blog. Just awful, awful dreck.
Old 11-14-2010, 07:28 AM
Narragansett Park

OP has 18 posts and has probably only been watching racing for 18 days.

Can't believe we let people start a thread on here without at least 100 posts to their credit. We need rules around here or we'll keep getting useless threads.
Old 11-14-2010, 07:40 AM
Dee Tee Stables

so, zenyatta has 'earned' hoy and apparently the need for another thread about the same tired subject.

she has done no such thing. and exactly what has she done for racing? i keep seeing this phrase bandied about, as tho this horse is some four-legged mother theresa. please, i want details as to what has changed in the last year, or last three, since this horse has hit the scene? what is better, what has changed, how has the sport been affected?
Old 11-14-2010, 07:41 AM
Randwyck

Oh my Gawd