Derby Trail Forums

Go Back   Derby Trail Forums > The Charles Hatton Reading Room
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 06-01-2010, 11:27 AM
Arlington Park

Quote:
Originally Posted by 10 pnt move up View Post
That would have been a fun race to watch if they could have hooked up....I think Point Given was better but the two styles would have made it a good race.
You mean Street Cry, it would have been interesting had he been around for the triple crown, would Point Given had even made the Hall of Fame? Think about it...We know who the better sire is.
Old 06-01-2010, 11:33 AM
Arlington Park

Quote:
Originally Posted by foregos nuts View Post
The hall of fame voters probably will consider the fact the Ghostzapper was on steroids, morphine, EPO or any other drugs that the great Bobby Frankel was using at the time.
Is Barry Bonds going to the Hall?
Old 06-01-2010, 11:35 AM
Churchill Downs

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSC View Post
You mean Street Cry, it would have been interesting had he been around for the triple crown, would Point Given had even made the Hall of Fame? Think about it...We know who the better sire is.
I always liked Street Cry going back to his 2YO season, but how is this relevant to anything? Some of today's top sires were not champions on the track (i.e., Distorted Humor, Smart Strike, Indian Charlie), but outperformed more celebrated race horses in the breeding shed.
Old 06-01-2010, 11:38 AM
Arlington Park

Quote:
Originally Posted by parsixfarms View Post
I always liked Street Cry going back to his 2YO season, but how is this relevant to anything? Some of today's top sires were not champions on the track (i.e., Distorted Humor, Smart Strike, Indian Charlie), but outperformed more celebrated race horses in the breeding shed.
Obcourse it isn't a knockout punch in terms of who is the better horse, however it is a stiff left, more so than a jab. We also know he was a pretty good horse when he was right, somehow from watching him I think he could have gone down as one of the greats if he had a longer and healthier career. It's one of my regrets that we didn't see more of him.
Old 06-01-2010, 11:39 AM
Les Bois

Quote:
Is Barry Bonds going to the Hall?
No but Pelle Lindburgh might make the NASCAR hall of fame
Old 06-01-2010, 11:41 AM
Arlington Park

Quote:
Originally Posted by foregos nuts View Post
No but Pelle Lindburgh might make the NASCAR hall of fame
You might have to explain this comment to the non following hockey fans, otherwise they might think you are referring to the aviator rather than the goalie. RIP.
Old 06-01-2010, 11:45 AM
Les Bois

Quote:
You might have to explain this comment to the non following hockey fans, otherwise they might think you are referring to the aviator rather than the goalie. RIP.
charles and pellle- two dead flyers
Old 06-01-2010, 11:57 AM
Churchill Downs

Quote:
Obcourse it isn't a knockout punch in terms of who is the better horse, however it is a stiff left, more so than a jab. We also know he was a pretty good horse when he was right, somehow from watching him I think he could have gone down as one of the greats if he had a longer and healthier career. It's one of my regrets that we didn't see more of him.
It really doesn't count for anything, nor should it. If we are going to engage in the sort of analysis that you suggest, do we lessen the racing accomplishments of horses like Alysheba, Risen Star and Skip Away because they were not standouts in the breeding shed? Are Danzig and Malibu Moon the greatest "what ifs" because they became successful sires?
Old 06-01-2010, 11:58 AM
Oriental Park

Quote:
no Smarty and Point Given
Old 06-01-2010, 12:10 PM
Arlington Park

Quote:
It really doesn't count for anything, nor should it. If we are going to engage in the sort of analysis that you suggest, do we lessen the racing accomplishments of horses like Alysheba, Risen Star and Skip Away because they were not standouts in the breeding shed? Are Danzig and Malibu Moon the greatest "what ifs" because they became successful sires?
I can't really disagree with anything you said, there are no certainty's with this type of discussion. But do good sires elevate a horse's rep? Would Northern Dancer be considered as great a horse today had he not been such an outstanding sire? I'm not saying it is wrong or right, but we know it does.
Old 06-01-2010, 12:20 PM
Churchill Downs

Quote:
I can't really disagree with anything you said, there are no certainty's with this type of discussion. But do good sires elevate a horse's rep? Would Northern Dancer be considered as great a horse today had he not been such an outstanding sire? I'm not saying it is wrong or right, but we know it does.
I agree that becoming a good sire will help a horse's reputation, but there's a big difference between reputation and accomplishments. Another place this happens is how often the sale price of a yearling/2YO will impact that horse's reputation. For example, would Munnings have had the reputation that he enjoyed up until the Carter if he wasn't a $1.7 million 2YO?
Old 06-01-2010, 01:18 PM
Arlington Park

Quote:
I agree that becoming a good sire will help a horse's reputation, but there's a big difference between reputation and accomplishments. Another place this happens is how often the sale price of a yearling/2YO will impact that horse's reputation. For example, would Munnings have had the reputation that he enjoyed up until the Carter if he wasn't a $1.7 million 2YO?
Breeders are obsessed with bloodlines, we know this, look at Green Monkey, he was bought as a sire prospect despite being a complete failure as a racehorse.

The Alydar - Affirmed comparison is a perfect example of how people perceive horses as to how they fare in the breeding shed. I'm sure many still regard Alydar as the better of the 2.
Old 06-01-2010, 01:23 PM
Les Bois

Quote:
Breeders are obsessed with bloodlines, we know this, look at Green Monkey, he was bought as a sire prospect despite being a complete failure as a racehorse.

The Alydar - Affirmed comparison is a perfect example of how people perceive horses as to how they fare in the breeding shed. I'm sure many still regard Alydar as the better of the 2.
satish sanan bred the green monkey and sold him for 400K before he went for 16million at the 2yr old in training sale.
Old 06-01-2010, 01:23 PM
Santa Anita

Gary Stevens said that Point Given was the "best horse never to win the Triple Crown." Who am I to disagree?

At 9-3-0 out of 13 starts, I sure would have enjoyed seeing him campaign another year.
Old 06-01-2010, 01:27 PM
Idlewild Airport

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldDog View Post
Gary Stevens said that Point Given was the "best horse never to win the Triple Crown." Who am I to disagree?

At 9-3-0 out of 13 starts, I sure would have enjoyed seeing him campaign another year.
I just threw up in my mouth.
Old 06-01-2010, 01:49 PM
Churchill Downs

Quote:
I doubt that The Green Monkey "was bought as a sire prospect." He stands in Florida for Hartley-DeRenzo, his 2YO sale consignors. Besides, it's not like Forestry is anywhere near the perceived stallion that he was a few years ago (down to $17,500 advertised fee from $100,000).

That being said, I do agree that modest race horses with good bloodlines may be given a chance at stud. Not that I am trying to make him out as more than he is (a decent NY stallion), but a horse like Freud would have never been given an opportunity at stud if he wasn't a sibling to Giant's Causeway.
Old 06-01-2010, 02:42 PM
Goodwood

Quote:
I doubt that The Green Monkey "was bought as a sire prospect." He stands in Florida for Hartley-DeRenzo, his 2YO sale consignors. Besides, it's not like Forestry is anywhere near the perceived stallion that he was a few years ago (down to $17,500 advertised fee from $100,000).

That being said, I do agree that modest race horses with good bloodlines may be given a chance at stud. Not that I am trying to make him out as more than he is (a decent NY stallion), but a horse like Freud would have never been given an opportunity at stud if he wasn't a sibling to Giant's Causeway.
OK... what was he bought to be then, a ride for the kiddies at a carnival?

That's a silly statement.
Old 06-01-2010, 02:57 PM
Sha Tin

Quote:

The Green Monkey is not a good example of breeders being obsessed with bloodlines. He surely wasnt purchased as a cheap stallion prospect based on his pedigree.

I don't know anyone who thinks Alydar was a better racehorse than Affirmed. I also don't know anyone who thinks Affirmed is a better sire than Alydar.
Old 06-01-2010, 02:59 PM
Sha Tin

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldDog View Post

I'm sure Spectacular Bid would beg to differ. Man o War just rolled over in his grave as well.
Old 06-01-2010, 03:11 PM
Churchill Downs

Quote:
Originally Posted by philcski View Post
OK... what was he bought to be then, a ride for the kiddies at a carnival?

That's a silly statement.
Maybe I should clarify my thoughts. I doubt they paid much, if anything, to re-obtain him.