Derby Trail Forums

Go Back   Derby Trail Forums > Stakes Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 04-09-2011, 05:18 PM
Randwyck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merlinsky View Post
Arthur's Tale has got $200,000 now in graded earnings, and we've had some fall out of the Derby recently so it might be enough. Randy said the cut off was $180,000 currently. Another Bernardini.

Haskin's done well today with horses he's liked in the past finding the winner's circle. Toby's Corner and Joe Vann. My Illinois Derby feed kept buffering so I'll have to catch the replay to see how Joe Vann looked.

That's right, I forgot that he might not get in. I hope he does - not sure he's good enough, but don't see why he can't pick up the pieces. Yes, I'm not unhappy he's a Bernardini.........I was so happy for a few seconds, lol.
Old 04-09-2011, 05:19 PM
Hawthorne

Quote:
Originally Posted by ateamstupid View Post
What he did today doesn't negate his brilliant performance in the Juvy.

That said, I still feel that when the Kentucky Derby favorite doesn't debut until a fabricated stake on March 12, something's amiss.
Where was this brilliant insight before the race went off...?
Old 04-09-2011, 05:21 PM
Super Mod.. and Super Fly

Quote:
Originally Posted by pba1817 View Post
The hypocrisy of this comment is suffocating.
Old 04-09-2011, 05:23 PM
Hawthorne

Quote:
The hypocrisy of this comment is suffocating.
The truth is hard to swallow...
Old 04-09-2011, 05:23 PM
Idlewild Airport

Pletcher's best chance is Joe Vann
Old 04-09-2011, 05:25 PM

Quote:
The truth is hard to swallow...
Your next insightful comment on this board will be your first, so I'd pipe down if I were you.
Old 04-09-2011, 05:29 PM
Woodbine

Quote:
Originally Posted by shanej974 View Post
Uncle Slo Mo was still better then Blame and Zenyatta on Breeders Cup Day....right....I mean he would have beaten those two that day....right....
i know....wheres that goofy numbers guy.....lol....lol....zenyata and blame my ass....horse can't get 10 furlongs in his dreams....what a joke.
Old 04-09-2011, 05:42 PM
Flemington

He really has no excuses. I'm sure the Repole camp will cook something up.

But I have to admit that I was a bit suprised when JV went right to the lead. I know the fractions weren't that quick, but I just figured that he would try to get that garden stalking spot (plus get him accustomed to some tight quarters/dirt in the face). Then at the top of the stretch you figured he would just kick it in and pull away and there was still nothing. On top of that JV did that patented ridiculous look behind him move and you figured he still had some horse, but he was absolutely empty.

I'm not sure what to think. It was the only race of the day that I did see, so I have no idea about any biases and if maybe the rail was dead (not sure if they got rain in Queens last night, but I know it poured in Jersey all day). Still all that does is cook up an excuse for a horse who was only supposed to lose if the Jock fell off his back. I guess he just falls back into the category of being a good 3 year old in what looks like a very medicore 3 year old crop.
Old 04-09-2011, 05:42 PM
Santa Anita

Quote:
Originally Posted by Betsy View Post
That's right, I forgot that he might not get in. I hope he does - not sure he's good enough, but don't see why he can't pick up the pieces. Yes, I'm not unhappy he's a Bernardini.........I was so happy for a few seconds, lol.
Yeah, I heard something about Darley and my antenna went up so I checked. I knew Toby's Corner was a Bellamy Road. Gotta admit, that win was kinda poetic.
Old 04-09-2011, 05:44 PM
Woodbine

Quote:
yeah right, half the world was saying it....including me...i even said i could not wait to bet against this horse.....
Old 04-09-2011, 05:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaTH716 View Post
HBut I have to admit that I was a bit suprised when JV went right to the lead. I know the fractions weren't that quick, but I just figured that he would try to get that garden stalking spot (plus get him accustomed to some tight quarters/dirt in the face). Then at the top of the stretch you figured he would just kick it in and pull away and there was still nothing. On top of that JV did that patented ridiculous look behind him move and you figured he still had some horse, but he was absolutely empty.
I don't think he tried for the lead, but nobody else went, so what is he going to do? Rein the horse in and risk traffic trouble while letting some horse with less speed than him go by? He knew the other riders were going to try to beat him at all costs, so I think he was hesitant to get covered up if he didn't have to. Plus, like you said, the fractions weren't very quick. On the lead or off of it, he was going to lose today.

Watching the replay, I think his stride looked a little weird going around the turn, like he was reaching out and trying hard to keep up even though Velazquez hadn't asked him yet.
Old 04-09-2011, 05:57 PM
Hawthorne

Quote:
Your next insightful comment on this board will be your first, so I'd pipe down if I were you.
Why should I pipe down...?
Old 04-09-2011, 06:03 PM

Quote:
Why should I pipe down...?
Because you serve no purpose here except to stir things up. I've never seen you post a play or analyze a race, so tweaking me for saying something in retrospect about Mo's campaign is laughable. You're an enormous douchebag who's looking for some new people to piss off now that Zenyatta's retired along with your pom poms.
Old 04-09-2011, 06:04 PM
Saratoga

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaTH716 View Post
He really has no excuses. I'm sure the Repole camp will cook something up.

But I have to admit that I was a bit suprised when JV went right to the lead. I know the fractions weren't that quick, but I just figured that he would try to get that garden stalking spot (plus get him accustomed to some tight quarters/dirt in the face). Then at the top of the stretch you figured he would just kick it in and pull away and there was still nothing. On top of that JV did that patented ridiculous look behind him move and you figured he still had some horse, but he was absolutely empty.

I'm not sure what to think. It was the only race of the day that I did see, so I have no idea about any biases and if maybe the rail was dead (not sure if they got rain in Queens last night, but I know it poured in Jersey all day). Still all that does is cook up an excuse for a horse who was only supposed to lose if the Jock fell off his back. I guess he just falls back into the category of being a good 3 year old in what looks like a very medicore 3 year old crop.
I am with you on this Matt. I was really surprised to see him go to the lead, granted, no else wanted it, but still I don't think that was the plan. On the first turn when he got the lead I had a feeling he might be in trouble. I don't think there was a bias today, but it is hard to see how he benefitted by going to the lead. It will be interesting to see at this point whether he comes up lame, retired, or continues on the trail. The big question is the possible distance limitations, but not sure that was the issue today from that run. Pretty puzzling effort overall.
Old 04-09-2011, 06:06 PM
Saratoga

Quote:
Because you serve no purpose here except to stir things up. I've never seen you post a play or analyze a race, so tweaking me for saying something in retrospect about Mo's campaign is laughable. You're an enormous douchebag who's looking for some new people to piss off now that Zenyatta's retired along with your pom poms.
It is funny how many doucebags have come out of the woodworks this week, Joey. It will probably get worse as we get closer to the Derby.
Old 04-09-2011, 06:24 PM
Goodwood

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dahoss View Post
Someone might need to talk Indian Charlie off a bridge tonight.
Not at all.

I thought it was obvious he was going to lose after about 1/8th of a mile.

I'm hoping he wasn't hurt, but I expect that is what they will say.
Old 04-09-2011, 06:26 PM
Idlewild Airport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indian Charlie View Post
Not at all.

I thought it was obvious he was going to lose after about 1/8th of a mile.

I'm hoping he wasn't hurt, but I expect that is what they will say.
Obvious how?
Old 04-09-2011, 06:27 PM
Goodwood

Quote:
I don't think he tried for the lead, but nobody else went, so what is he going to do? Rein the horse in and risk traffic trouble while letting some horse with less speed than him go by? He knew the other riders were going to try to beat him at all costs, so I think he was hesitant to get covered up if he didn't have to. Plus, like you said, the fractions weren't very quick. On the lead or off of it, he was going to lose today.

Watching the replay, I think his stride looked a little weird going around the turn, like he was reaching out and trying hard to keep up even though Velazquez hadn't asked him yet.
Agreed. If anything, I think you are understating things.
Old 04-09-2011, 06:28 PM
Hawthorne

Quote:
WTF are you talking about dude...?
Old 04-09-2011, 06:30 PM
Goodwood

Quote:
Originally Posted by randallscott35 View Post
Obvious how?
He did not look settled, or comfortable with the track. Whether he was hurt, I cannot tell, but he was not his usual relaxed and smooth running self. I thought he ran, for lack of a better term, choppy.

If I had to venture a guess, I'd say he either didn't like AQU, or he is pretty sore.