Derby Trail Forums

Go Back   Derby Trail Forums > Sports Bar & Grill
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 10-21-2013, 04:29 PM
Super Moderator

Default This one is for you, Pat Cummings...

Your all-time favorite NFL coach...

Old 10-21-2013, 04:36 PM
Super Moderator

Have to admit, the guy is doing a solid coaching job.

He inherited a team with the worst record in football, used his #1 overall draft pick on a tackle from some MAC school, the Central Michigan Chippewas, I believe.

Made one very key move, ditching Matt Cassell (who made his entire reputation out of a 10-win season with a team, the prior year, which was one horrible Eli Manning across-the-body throw and one incredibly lucky David Tyree catch away from being a 19-0 team)

Meanwhile, in Philly. The Oregon Ducks stuff doesn't seem to be catching on.

Maybe he doesn't win the big ones... but Andy Reid is a winner virtually every year, in easily the single toughest of the major pro sports to win at.
Old 10-21-2013, 05:55 PM
Dee Tee Stables

an incredible turnaround in kc. i fully expect if the second half goes as the first half, that andy reid gets coach of the year.
Old 10-21-2013, 06:12 PM
Havre de Grace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calzone Lord View Post
Have to admit, the guy is doing a solid coaching job.

He inherited a team with the worst record in football, used his #1 overall draft pick on a tackle from some MAC school, the Central Michigan Chippewas, I believe.

Made one very key move, ditching Matt Cassell (who made his entire reputation out of a 10-win season with a team, the prior year, which was one horrible Eli Manning across-the-body throw and one incredibly lucky David Tyree catch away from being a 19-0 team)

Meanwhile, in Philly. The Oregon Ducks stuff doesn't seem to be catching on.

Maybe he doesn't win the big ones... but Andy Reid is a winner virtually every year, in easily the single toughest of the major pro sports to win at.
Their defense is terrific. It had 4 Pro Bowlers from 2013 and the new DC from the Jets is outstanding. They're aggressive and very strong across the D-Line.

The games against Denver should be interesting. The Chiefs' secondary has some holes, but they will defend the Broncos WRs just like Indianapolis did last night because they basically have the right type of personnel.

Jamaal Charles is solid and their offense is basic but efficient.

As for Andy, you wonder if his professionalism and confidence is proving so beneficial for the team. Last year was his first losing season in the last eight. The guy has always known how to win.
Old 10-21-2013, 06:48 PM
Sha Tin

Quote:

in easily the single toughest of the major pro sports to win at.
The NBA is a far tougher major pro sport to win at as a coach. Not even close. We see turnarounds in the NFL every year. How many NBA turnarounds do you see not related to a major star coming or going? 1/3 of the coaches got fired last year

There won't be a KC Chiefs story in the NBA this year. The Bucks won't be 35-8 mid-season.
Old 10-21-2013, 07:59 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cannon Shell View Post
The NBA is a far tougher major pro sport to win at as a coach. Not even close.
The same teams win every year in the NBA.

Phil Jackson won 10 rings. Poppavich is always right there. Whoever has the star players win.

The NFL is way more of a crap shoot. No one is winning 10 Super Bowls or threatening to win every year.

Look at how few repeat Super Bowl winners there are. The same few teams win every year in the NBA.
Old 10-21-2013, 09:17 PM
Hialeah Park

I get in verbal fights EVERY week w/ family and friends over Big Red. I LOVE the fact that he's doing well. Took the Eagles organization from perennial doormats to EXPECTING THE SUPER BOWL year after year, something that gets lost on most Philadelphians. Changed our whole mindset.

I LOVE Andy Reid. And i'm over the moon that he's no longer in a city that didn't appreciate him and that he landed in one that reveres his every move.
"A person who saw no important difference between the fire outside a Neandrathal's cave and a working thermo-nuclear reactor might tell you that junk bonds and derivatives BOTH serve to energize capital"

- Nathan Israel
Old 10-21-2013, 09:19 PM
Dee Tee Stables

Quote:
Originally Posted by declansharbor View Post
I get in verbal fights EVERY week w/ family and friends over Big Red. I LOVE the fact that he's doing well. Took the Eagles organization from perennial doormats to EXPECTING THE SUPER BOWL year after year, something that gets lost on most Philadelphians. Changed our whole mindset.

I LOVE Andy Reid. And i'm over the moon that he's no longer in a city that didn't appreciate him and that he landed in one that reveres his every move.
he certainly is better off. the eagles? not so much.

omg, we had the giants vikings game on...if you want to call it that. these guys get paid to play? don't look like pros!
Old 10-21-2013, 09:38 PM
Sha Tin

Quote:
The same teams win every year in the NBA.

Phil Jackson won 10 rings. Poppavich is always right there. Whoever has the star players win.

The NFL is way more of a crap shoot. No one is winning 10 Super Bowls or threatening to win every year.

Look at how few repeat Super Bowl winners there are. The same few teams win every year in the NBA.
Exactly. There are 30 teams and maybe 5 have a legit shot. That means the coaches of the other 25 teams are in a close to impossible position. Just getting to the playoffs in the NFL is lauded. Getting the 8 seed and getting wiped out by the 1 seed gets you fired.

Last years coach of the year got fired. Last years coach of Memphis won more games and went further in the playoffs than they had in their history. he got fired. The Clippers coach set all kinds of wins records the last 2 years, he got fired.

The Colts can be 2-14 and make the playoffs the next year. The Chiefs were 2-14 and are going to probably win 11 or 12 games this year. A new scheme, a last place schedule, a good draft and a bot of luck and you are in the playoffs. Ask the NBA coaches that don't have LeBron if that would work against him?

If you are talking about having winning programs, the NBA is much harder to do.
If you are talking about winning championships Andy Reid would not be a great example.
Old 10-21-2013, 10:13 PM
Super Moderator

I'm talking about winning seasons VS losing seasons.

Andy Reid's % of winning seasons is a wild achievement at the NFL level because of the parity associated with the NFL.
Old 10-22-2013, 12:35 AM
Sha Tin

Quote:
I'm talking about winning seasons VS losing seasons.

Andy Reid's % of winning seasons is a wild achievement at the NFL level because of the parity associated with the NFL.
Mike Smith is 56-24 in Atlanta since 2008
John Harbaugh is 54-26 in Balt since 2008
Mike McCarthy is 74-38 in GB since 2006
Belichek is 154-57 in NE since 2000
Sean payton is 62-34 in NO since 2006
Tom Coughlin is 83-61 in NYG since 2004
Mike Tomlin is 63-33 in Pitt since 2007
Andy Reid is 136-93

I don't see where his record is that astounding.

In the NBA there are 4 current coaches hired prior to 2010.
Popvich who is a 1st ballot hall of famer 1996
Brooks who has Durant and Westbrook 2009
Spolstra who has James and Wade 2008
Rick Carlisle in Dallas who won the last non Heat title 2008

That's it.
Old 10-22-2013, 12:12 PM
Fairgrounds

I'm glad Andy's Chiefs are doing well. He's a class act. In Philadelphia he always took the blame and for the most part never threw a player under the bus.

I hope they continue to do well.
Old 10-22-2013, 12:19 PM
Randwyck

HA! That's too funny. I literally lost interest in the Eagles over the course of his tenure because he was so impossible to like (at least to me).