Derby Trail Forums

Go Back   Derby Trail Forums > Breeders' Cup Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 10-25-2007, 04:32 PM
Atlantic City Race Course

Default Street Sense is tight...real tight!

Amazing work...Carl has this horse at 110%, no excuses! Watched the video of his work and he reminded me of the great ones...slow early (first three furlongs in 38 flat) then Calvin let the monster loose....5f in 1:01.1 and 6f in 1:12.2...wow! Galloping out in 1:25.2, the mile in 1:38.2...came back dry and breathing like he walked the shed row...bet against at your peril!!!
Old 10-25-2007, 04:39 PM
The Curragh

Doesn't really matter when the slop is likely to play against his chances.

and now we murderers because we kill time
Old 10-25-2007, 04:46 PM
Newmarket

Ive got him no better than third. I don't care how tight he is, i don't see him finishing in front of Lawyer Ron, Any Given Saturday, or Curlin.
Old 10-25-2007, 04:51 PM
The Curragh

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArlJim78
Ive got him no better than third. I don't care how tight he is, i don't see him finishing in front of Lawyer Ron, Any Given Saturday, or Curlin.
At last...... someone agrees with me. There is a first time for everything

Old 10-25-2007, 04:59 PM
Coach Pants

I'm reporting you to the authorities.
Old 10-25-2007, 11:31 PM
Santa Anita

The boys at TVG were gushing huh? That was awesome to watch.

http://www.breederscup.com/video.aspx?id=29049

Here's the Oct. 23 work and he sure looks snappy. I'm sorry I really enjoy several of these horses in the Classic but I'm sticking with Street Sense. I thought it was an interesting they compared his work to the one Barbaro gave pre-Derby. Since the Juvenile, any race he's lost has had an excuse and I don't think he's come up empty. He beat himself in the Preakness, not that Curlin's not a super talented horse and did we really think he was on the button in the KY Cup Classic... Hard Spun won that battle but I say the war goes to Street Sense. HS looked a little eh in his last work, not great, not bad, just eh. Of course I expect HS to have the last laugh in the shed judging by his pedigree but whatever. We're talking the big race. I don't know the last time I enjoyed so many of the top BCC contenders, this is gonna be fun. I won't be shocked if any one of several them come in first. Calvin said it felt like Churchill out there and Curlin isn't enamored by those turns plus SS is near the rail which he should find okay. Just saying, there's momentum.
Old 10-25-2007, 11:38 PM
Newmarket

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cardus
Jim,

I think that you are wrong on this one.
I know, most people do.
where do you see Street Sense finishing?
Old 10-25-2007, 11:42 PM
Gulfstream Park

Street Sense reminds me so much of Unbridled; not physically; just the way Nafzger handled him. When either of them are coming off a solid race where they were compromised by the pace last out, they've been deadly. Street Sense has been going up against lone speed types in his last 3 races. Lawyer Ron doesn't seem to want to go past 9 furlongs; Any Given Saturday looked like he peaked in the Haskell, and Curlin did not run well in his only start at Mth. The Pletcher factor in the Breeders Cup alone is reason enough to avoid LR and AGS at low prices.
Old 10-25-2007, 11:58 PM
Newmarket

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJP
Street Sense reminds me so much of Unbridled; not physically; just the way Nafzger handled him. When either of them are coming off a solid race where they were compromised by the pace last out, they've been deadly. Street Sense has been going up against lone speed types in his last 3 races. Lawyer Ron doesn't seem to want to go past 9 furlongs; Any Given Saturday looked like he peaked in the Haskell, and Curlin did not run well in his only start at Mth. The Pletcher factor in the Breeders Cup alone is reason enough to avoid LR and AGS at low prices.
I have to ask about this comment. it seems that everyone repeats it over and over. Has anyone noticed that the best 1 1/4 race this year was the Jockey Club Gold Cup where Lawyer Ron and Curlin were separated by a neck and earned 114 beyers? better than anything Street sense has run in his career at any distance.
In fact, Lawyer Ron has reeled off three consecutive races that beat anything that this field has put up in their careers. Curlin ran a career best in order to beat Lawyer Ron. Meanwhile who has Street Sense beat since the derby? Has he moved forward? to me it looks like the answer is no. I think he finishes 3rd or 4th.

I really see this race between Lawyer Ron and Curlin.
Old 10-26-2007, 05:12 AM
The Curragh

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArlJim78
I have to ask about this comment. it seems that everyone repeats it over and over. Has anyone noticed that the best 1 1/4 race this year was the Jockey Club Gold Cup where Lawyer Ron and Curlin were separated by a neck and earned 114 beyers? better than anything Street sense has run in his career at any distance.
In fact, Lawyer Ron has reeled off three consecutive races that beat anything that this field has put up in their careers. Curlin ran a career best in order to beat Lawyer Ron. Meanwhile who has Street Sense beat since the derby? Has he moved forward? to me it looks like the answer is no. I think he finishes 3rd or 4th.

I really see this race between Lawyer Ron and Curlin.
I agree, if anything, i think Street Sense's form has actually regressed. I thought his defeat to Hard Spun was poor......... it was a prep.yada yada yada, people are forgetting that was a prep for Hard Spun, too and he did it easily, Borel really got stuck into SS and he found nothing.

SS was good at the start of the year because he was experienced and battle hardened from his exploits as a 2yo. Curlin and AGS, were weak, backward, inexperienced individuals. Both have improved a lot since then, and i actually think they have improved past Street Sense as the year has gone on.

I agree, Street Sense has been managed really well, and that might be the deciding factor, but i really hope not, especially when Lawyer Ron and Curlin are the best horses in the race.