Derby Trail Forums

Go Back   Derby Trail Forums > Main Forum > Equine Health, Retirement & Aftercare
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 01-14-2007, 07:41 PM
Churchill Downs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sightseek
Speaking of slings, did anyone else see the completely unrealistic horse movie of the girl (Allie was her name I remember) who gets in trouble with the police and is sent to a horse re-hab farm for part of her community commitment and the horse breaks out of it's sling after a tractor runs through his stall wall and the horse miraclously trots off with the girl hanging off the leadrope? I wish I could remember the name of the move....it gets even more realistic than that.
I actually saw that movie when I was really young...and I don't remember the name of the movie either!!! It's the movie where the trailer rolls down the hill right?
Old 01-14-2007, 07:43 PM
Flemington

Quote:
Originally Posted by kentuckyrosesinmay
I actually saw that movie when I was really young...and I don't remember the name of the movie either!!! It's the movie where the trailer rolls down the hill right?
That's the one! Is it Dark Horse or something?
It's funny how you associate the most random things with something even more random.
Old 01-14-2007, 07:51 PM
Idlewild Airport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cannon Shell
There is no one here that is qualified to pass judgement on the fate of Barbaro. To my knowledge no one here has seen him other than in short video clips, we only know what is being reported newswise. We are not privy to his medical condition except what is released to the press. I seriously doubt and have doubted that this horse would ever be able to breed a mare let alone a book of mares and I dont believe that they are keeping him alive for monetary reasons. Barbaro may or may not make it a week, a month, a year or more but what he has done is allowed the doctors to advance their knowledge in dealing with catastrophic injuries such as his and the resulting problems. His legacy will live not only as a courageous and talented racehorse who showed bravery and determination following his injury but in the veternarian advances that will have come about because of him the horses that may be saved in the future
Completely disagree. The idea that a person can't have opinion on this b/c I'm they aren't there giving him a carrot every day or seeing in his stall is ridiculous. Mind you this is 8 months after the initial injury. Quite a bit is known about his day to day condition, the extent of the laminitis he suffered and the never ending surgeries he's had....And the idea that Barbaro has been the perfect guinea pig for advancing knowledge is a piss poor decision to keep a horse bouncing around from one setback to the next until he is put down....At this point, the decision is clear and my guess is they will realize that in the not too distant future.
Old 01-14-2007, 07:54 PM
Churchill Downs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sightseek
That's the one! Is it Dark Horse or something?
It's funny how you associate the most random things with something even more random.
I think it is Dark Horse.
Old 01-14-2007, 08:00 PM
Idlewild Airport

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaHoss9698
I don't think the connections are looking at him as a guinea pig at all. What if, by some miracle he makes a recovery and lives another 5 or so years. Won't it be worth it. In reality, since the lamintis which was in the summer, this is the first setback. Did anyone really think that there would be no setbacks along the road? After each setback are people going to be questioning the connections? They have made it clear from the get go their intentions. I respect your opinion, but honestly who knows better than Dr. Richardson? Don't you think he will do best by the horse?
Dahoss, Cannon's post said the guinea pig part. I sure don't think that anyone else is in it to advance knowledge. And yes, I hope he lives 25 years and has a 10,000 kids. But the truth is that's simply not going to happen.
Old 01-14-2007, 08:05 PM
The Curragh

Im just happy Barbaro isnt reading this. Get well boy! Dr Richardson will lead the way
Old 01-14-2007, 08:27 PM
Atlantic City Race Course

Randall, I'm glad u started this. As someone else mentioned, it took courage to do it. I have been thinking the same thing but never thought to post it because I know how the Barbaro fans are about this horse. I do agree with u totally, especially when u talk about how it's unfair how they are so concerned with him but not the $5k claimer that this happens to. I read about how his owners deserve some special Eclipse awards and all that and it sickens me. They don't deserve anything more special than anyone else that puts their heart and money into it and loses a horse to fatal injury.
Manila, Java Gold, Alysheba, Sunday Silence, Go for Wand, In Excess, Paseana, Kotashaan, Holy Bull, Cigar, Alphabet Soup, Formal Gold, Skip Away, Artax, Tiznow, Point Given, Azeri, Candy Ride, Smarty Jones, Ghostzapper, Invasor, Curlin, Zenyatta, Zenyatta, Goldikova, Havre de Grace, Wise Dan, Wise Dan, California Chrome, American Pharoah, Arrogate, Gun Runner, Accelerate, Maximum Security, Gamine
Old 01-14-2007, 08:39 PM
Idlewild Airport

Back to the sling for the next month. This is the same spot Barbaro was in during July.

Old 01-14-2007, 08:41 PM
Idlewild Airport

Quote:
Originally Posted by King Glorious
Randall, I'm glad u started this. As someone else mentioned, it took courage to do it. I have been thinking the same thing but never thought to post it because I know how the Barbaro fans are about this horse. I do agree with u totally, especially when u talk about how it's unfair how they are so concerned with him but not the $5k claimer that this happens to. I read about how his owners deserve some special Eclipse awards and all that and it sickens me. They don't deserve anything more special than anyone else that puts their heart and money into it and loses a horse to fatal injury.
I appreciate that. I realized that it wasn't the most popular thing to do or say, but so far there are quite a few people in this thread who seem to agree. Which has surprised me.
Old 01-14-2007, 08:46 PM
Idlewild Airport

Dahoss that picture is from Bloodhorse right now and the article is up there too. Sensational was Barbaro's Derby.
Old 01-14-2007, 08:53 PM
5'8".. but all man!

Quote:
Originally Posted by randallscott35
I appreciate that. I realized that it wasn't the most popular thing to do or say, but so far there are quite a few people in this thread who seem to agree. Which has surprised me.

Really hesitated about chiming in here...but I will anyways.

I am a huge fan of this horse. When a great many of us were over on ESPN, I was begging for the Jackson's to keep this horse on the grass....thought he had the chance to be an incredibly special turf horse. I told anyone that would listen that he would be your Derby winner.

Call me a baby, but I cried for an hour after the Preakness....my heart had been broken. After he broke down, I was elated that he would be saved and hung on that prospect for an awfully long time. But, as more complications have begun to arise, I just continue to see ZERO quality of life in the near and distant future. Putting him down would be the correct thing to do, IMO.
Old 01-14-2007, 08:53 PM
Idlewild Airport

Quote:
Come on man, you weren't using the picture to pad your argument? Please, and courage is deciding everyday whether or not to put down YOUR animal which is what the Jackson's have to deal with.
Dahoss,
Very low. I didn't post it for a pat on the back and said as much from the beginning....Weak man.
Old 01-14-2007, 09:06 PM
Idlewild Airport

Quote:
To avoid this getting to a point where it shouldn't I will say I was not taking a shot at you, and I apologize if it came off that way. Very hard to properly get a message across with something like this. I understand you weren't looking for a pat on the back, but in my opinion you are using a picture of him in the sling as a way to pad your side. That seems kind of low to me. My point was it is not a easy situation for those involved. Very easy for those not involved to say, hey it's time. But when it is your animal, or patient you are more apt to try everything you possibly can. Now if that's selfish so be it. It was selfish to try anything to begin with. Well that selfishness brought him 8 more months. No one here can accurately decipher what his quality of life is besides those directly involved, as no two situations are the same. They seem to think so far he is okay which is more than okay by me.
Understood.
Old 01-14-2007, 11:50 PM
Monmouth Park

Im not a horsey person,
but why kill a horse with a good pedigree that has every chance to be a good stallion?

does he want to live?
I have no freaking clue and I could not care any less.

but if you can save him, then do it.
we need more than just El Prado as a top turf sire in this country.
Old 01-15-2007, 03:53 AM
SteelKrtan

The advances today are absolutley amazing horses that would have been put down 5 years ago are now treatable even broken legs can be fixed ( used to be instant death sentence) ive seen alot of horse injuries from ripped out legs to lighting strikes & it has allways amazed me the massive healing power of horses so i wouldnt be giving up on the horse just yet .One thing you can be absolutley sure of the vets treating the problem would not continue if they thought there was no hope or the the horse was in absolute pain.
Just wondering do they feed horses alot of sellium over there? laminitis is becomming quite rare down here.
Old 01-15-2007, 05:03 AM
Dee Tee Stables

the only thing i'm really thinking about all this is i sure hope the jacksons don't read this thread. they are living this on a daily basis. we can sit here and abstractly pronounce what should be done, or shouldn't. fact is, unless and until one of us is in this same situation, we don't have a clue what we would do.

hindsight is 20-20. we know NOW that barbaro has had setbacks. they didn't know going in that all this would happen. they knew there could be and probably would be complications.. looking back, it does seem like a lot...but that's when you encapsulate months and months into a few minutes of looking back....

also, dr richardson said that money was no object, that the jacksons would do this regardless of the horses real or perceived value-if this was all about money, barbaro would have been put down and insurance paid out.

the odds have been slim from day one. 5% when they discovered the laminitis.

fact is, if he survives a month, a year, or ten years-if he ends up passing due to the laminitis there will be posts galore saying 'see, he shoulda been put down'.
Old 01-15-2007, 05:25 AM
Santa Anita

Good discussion. I don't know what the proper thing to do is. I am not degreed in veterenary science. Don't know pain thresholds of animals. Don't know how bad off he is. I honestly don't have a clue, and really have no opinion on this matter as I simply don't knwo enough about it. I did approve of the effort to save his life.
Old 01-15-2007, 06:23 AM
top predator.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magic_Idol
The advances today are absolutley amazing horses that would have been put down 5 years ago are now treatable even broken legs can be fixed ( used to be instant death sentence) ive seen alot of horse injuries from ripped out legs to lighting strikes & it has allways amazed me the massive healing power of horses so i wouldnt be giving up on the horse just yet .One thing you can be absolutley sure of the vets treating the problem would not continue if they thought there was no hope or the the horse was in absolute pain.
Just wondering do they feed horses alot of selenium over there? laminitis is becomming quite rare down here.
depends what part of the coutry you live in...certain areas like the Northeast and nrthwest have soil that is selenium deficient...and many people supplement (although they don't need to since local feed companies cater to the region and add it to their grain mixes)...other parts have adequate amounts in the soil, and there are places that actually have too much, areas of the southwest (New Mexico, Arizona) ...as selenium is toxic...

Last edited by paisjpq : 01-15-2007 at 06:39 AM.
Old 01-15-2007, 08:31 AM
Atlantic City Race Course

Quote:
Originally Posted by paisjpq
depends what part of the coutry you live in...certain areas like the Northeast and nrthwest have soil that is selenium deficient...and many people supplement (although they don't need to since local feed companies cater to the region and add it to their grain mixes)...other parts have adequate amounts in the soil, and there are places that actually have too much, areas of the southwest (New Mexico, Arizona) ...as selenium is toxic...
What does selenium do? (GR happily sits down at her school desk and prepares to learn something... )
Old 01-15-2007, 08:55 AM
Dee Tee Stables

Quote:
Originally Posted by GenuineRisk
What does selenium do? (GR happily sits down at her school desk and prepares to learn something... )
if you're deficient, you can have intestinal disorders. also is believed to combat cancer in humans...

of course there is a connection between gastro-intestinal disorders and laminitis.

selenium is a supplement that is added to livestock feed....