Derby Trail Forums

Go Back   Derby Trail Forums > Main Forum > The Paddock
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 06-25-2007, 12:06 PM
Steve Byk

Default $75.60 to Show at Suffolk

Anybody see that?

The 7, Tugluq (?) just paid $75.60 to show at E. Boston...
Old 06-25-2007, 02:02 PM
Gulfstream Park

well i know no one here follows the track probaly other than me LOL but helen vanek recently brought in a horse@tulsa(FMT) that paid 100 bucks to place

PWNED
Old 06-25-2007, 02:14 PM
Goodwood

Looks like there was a big bridgejumper in there, as it was only a 6 horse field and the win horse paid $4.60 to place and $13 to show, and the place horse $3.40 to place and $10.40 to show.
Old 06-27-2007, 11:40 AM
The Curragh

Quote:
Originally Posted by philcski
Looks like there was a big bridgejumper in there, as it was only a 6 horse field and the win horse paid $4.60 to place and $13 to show, and the place horse $3.40 to place and $10.40 to show.
Well, the bridgejumper had a big effect, but I wouldn't call it a "big bridgejumper". The total WPS pool was just $24K. The next race had a WPS pool of $32K. Based on the 1st race WPS from the previous day ($16K), I'd guess the bridgejumper(s) piled something like an extra $10K on the fav. That's pretty small in bridgejumping terms. It's not rare for bridgejumper(s) to put an extra $500K on a "can't miss" fav.

The normal show pool at Suffolk must be tiny for a $10K bet to produce such a big payoff.

--Dunbar
Old 06-27-2007, 05:26 PM
Bowie

Default What the heck

is a bridge jumper
Old 06-27-2007, 05:29 PM
Calder Race Course

Quote:
Originally Posted by unassailable08
is a bridge jumper

someone who bets an exhorborant amount of money to show on a horse to TRY make the 5% profit when the horse pays 2.10 to show ( the minimum )

usually a bridgejumper will bet 10K to 100K to show. a lot of times it is on an odds on favorite in a short field.

a money market is 5% per year nowadays

they call it a bridgejumper because when the horse finishes 4th the guy jumps off the nearest bridge
Old 06-27-2007, 05:39 PM
Bowie

Default so can u bridge jump with less money

so pretty much in stock broking terms he would be the guy who thinks he was taking somethin low risk then when he loses his pants and shirt he jumps off wall street.
Old 06-27-2007, 05:43 PM
Calder Race Course

Quote:
so pretty much in stock broking terms he would be the guy who thinks he was taking somethin low risk then when he loses his pants and shirt he jumps off wall street.

i would assume bridgejumping involve at least 10k at a smaller track and 50k at a major track....

more like the guy that gets a tip on a penny stock that is 31 cents, invests 50k, then the company goes bankrupt.

I don't see anything low risk in betting a horse to show for a lot of money to make 5%
Old 06-27-2007, 06:07 PM
Bowie

Default never answered my question

is it possible to be a "bridge" jumper for less money
Old 06-27-2007, 06:09 PM
Atlantic City Race Course

Quote:
is it possible to be a "bridge" jumper for less money
Not really, because without the bridge jumper betting 10K or 50K depending on the track, the pools aren't so skewed that the horse will only pay $2.10.

If nobody pounds a horse with all that show money, your $100 won't do enough damage to the pool to make it a bridge jumping situation to begin with.
Old 06-27-2007, 06:13 PM
Bowie

Default i get it

touche
Old 06-27-2007, 09:07 PM
Calder Race Course

Quote:
never answered my question is it possible to be a "bridge" jumper for less money
Quote:
Originally Posted by robfla
i would assume bridgejumping involves at least 10k at a smaller track and 50k at a major track....

so, no, because why would you "jump" if you only lost 1k
Old 06-27-2007, 11:23 PM
Goodwood

Quote:
Originally Posted by robfla
i would assume bridgejumping involve at least 10k at a smaller track and 50k at a major track....

more like the guy that gets a tip on a penny stock that is 31 cents, invests 50k, then the company goes bankrupt.

I don't see anything low risk in betting a horse to show for a lot of money to make 5%
No really, because the penny stock investment would be speculative in nature, with a much higher upside for being "correct".

It's more like buying $50k worth of Treasuries at 5% and having the American government default 5 minutes later.