Derby Trail Forums

Go Back   Derby Trail Forums > Main Forum > The Paddock
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 11-17-2023, 07:01 AM
Santa Anita

Default The 'geld him and give him to me for a horsie to pet' brigade

I was disappointed that Rich Strike was withdrawn from the sale in part because I knew what was about to befall us. It had already started when it was announced he'd go into the sale, and now it hath returned.

People who want a pretty horsie to pet at the KY Horse Park wanna geld Rich Strike and, with no $$ in the game at any point on their part, think that that's reasonably what should happen and they get to demand it loudly. Pretty sure Sid Fernando and Steve's speculation on price at the sale is accurate. Nobody's flushing that amount of money down the toilet. Those randos on the internet really don't like being told they're both wrong in valuing him at the price of change in their couch cushions and thinking they have a right to tell the owner not to sell.

Would anybody have blamed them for gelding him before the Derby ever happened? No. It's too late now though, and I think it's pretty clear when your connections bust up over making money from a horse's image, they're not giving a horse to the KYHP or Old Friends or the Retired Racehorse Project.