Derby Trail Forums

Go Back   Derby Trail Forums > Main Forum > The Paddock
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 08-10-2006, 03:38 PM
Balletto

Default Under-rated Broodmare sires

Since this was brought up in another thread, thought it could be an interesting topic to itsself.

Who are some stallions you think are proving themselves as broodmare sires under the radar?

Alleged-- Often forgotten in the mix. His mares produce some hard knockers who can compete with the best. Love to see more of his daughters go to Victory Gallop.

Miswaki-- Not sure if he's still considered underrated but his daughters are consistently good producers.

Carson City-- It seems like anything out of Carson City mares runs. His daughters throw attractive foals as well.

Crafty Prospector-- Never got a ton of respect but was always "right there" in the stallion ranks.

Afleet-- This guy has proven successful as a bms and an intriguing sire of sires.

Kris S.-- He just proved every original opinion of him at stud wrong. What a wonderful story and surprise. One of the most versatile stallions in the last 30 years and his daughters are carrying on the tradition.

Silver Deputy-- Might be the best value in KY from any angle.

Capote-- I always bet his daughters and will bet anything out of them.

Quiet American-- I would give a sibling to have a well-bred daughter of his. Nuff said.

Silver Hawk-- Great stamina and class influence. His daughters always look the part and so do their foals.

With Approval-- A big shame this boy was sent across the pond. Every year he seems to have a top turf filly. One of the most consistent stallions around on the turf.

Mining-- I'll close with this boy. Was disappointing to most at stud but would have made a real nice regional stallion. His daughters are really producing though, all things considered.
Old 08-10-2006, 03:43 PM
Atlantic City Race Course

Good call on Afleet. Amazing how well he's done in this country as a sire of sires as well as a broodmare sire given that he's been in Japan for like over a decade now?

Anyway, Pleasant Colony is a good one. Isn't Crafty Prospector still active somewhere?
Old 08-10-2006, 03:44 PM
Balletto

I think CP has colic surgery... dont know if they decided to pension him or not.
Old 08-10-2006, 03:45 PM

According to the Stallion Register, he's still active...I think he was a '79 foal!
Old 08-10-2006, 03:46 PM

And really, why no love for Pleasant Colony?

Tell me, Balletto, what is your opinion - generally - of one of my all time favs, Black Tie Affair, at stud?
Old 08-10-2006, 03:46 PM
Keeneland

I love With Approval... with that said, his son Testamonial is going to be making some noise in my opinion.

In regards to Crafty Prospector, I agree completely. I think his son, Crafty Shaw is a nice value and if I owned a decent mare, I would take a shot at him.

Another not mentioned is Woodman, although I'm not sure if he's underrated.
Old 08-10-2006, 03:48 PM
Keeneland

Another stallion I always liked as a broodmare sire is Fortunate Prospect. He was pensioned recently I believe.
Old 08-10-2006, 03:48 PM
Balletto

I dont think Pleasant Colony is underrated as a bms at all. In my opinion, he's a monster in the position and people respect him accordingly... same as Woodman.

What a fantastic pedigree Woodman has. Earned his spot in the stallion ranks on pedigree alone and has kept himself one of the best and most consistent.

Funny enough I think Black Tie Affair is proving himself a consistent broodmare sire. I cant say I really looked into him, but you see a lot of his daughters crop up at the sales and they're respected.
Old 08-10-2006, 03:52 PM

I guess we're differeing on the meaning of underrated. When you think broodmare sires, I don't know that Pleasant COlony is necessary in the top 15 or so names. He was a tremendous success as a stallion though - even later in life - so I'd imagine you are probably right.

I don't really know much about BTA as a damsire, but he's at least been somewhat impressive as a sire. Unfortunately - again - he spent his best years in Japan, so I don't know that this country will ever really see the best he had to offer, particularly now that he is in West Virginia.
Old 08-10-2006, 03:54 PM
Hialeah Park

Well, Crafty Prospector is the sire of Gold Miner's Gold (Metropolitan stud at nybreds). Gold Miner's Gold has had a few good ones.
In my humble opinion, the strength is In Reality (dam sire), though Native Dancer and Mr Prospector in the sire lines are plenty good.
Makeitright, my 3yo in training, is by him.
Old 08-10-2006, 04:02 PM
Balletto

The whole In Reality line has to be respected by everyone. I always found him to be one of the more interesting stallions. His blood really does seem like the "glue" to a lot of nicks and stakes winners. Glad to see Honour and Glory stayed in KY. The Man o' War line is becoming all too scarce. I think him and Tiznow are the big hopes to continue it.

Speaking of Tiznow, how quickly he went cold.
Old 08-10-2006, 04:04 PM
Keeneland

Quote:
Originally Posted by Balletto
The whole In Reality line has to be respected by everyone. I always found him to be one of the more interesting stallions. His blood really does seem like the "glue" to a lot of nicks and stakes winners. Glad to see Honour and Glory stayed in KY. The Man o' War line is becoming all too scarce. I think him and Tiznow are the big hopes to continue it.

Speaking of Tiznow, how quickly he went cold.
A couple of the yearlings in the recent sale by him were my faves.
Old 08-10-2006, 04:33 PM

My favorite, though not necessarily underrated, is Broad Brush...of course, he's my favorite sire period. Through him and a few excellent sons, the great Domino line survives...if only more folks would breed this line we could reverse much of the recent "damage"!
Old 08-10-2006, 04:47 PM
Hialeah Park

Quote:
Originally Posted by somerfrost
My favorite, though not necessarily underrated, is Broad Brush...of course, he's my favorite sire period. Through him and a few excellent sons, the great Domino line survives...if only more folks would breed this line we could reverse much of the recent "damage"!
Somerfrost,
As you might already know, I'm a big fan of Broad Brush also. He is the sire of Best of Luck (High Cliff Farm).
Bourbon Streettune, one of my mares, is now in foal to him.
Have a look:

http://www.highcliff.com/registry_pdf/best_of_luck.pdf
Old 08-10-2006, 04:52 PM
Santa Anita

Crimson Satan (i don't know which thread is which)

Alladin Rib is the only tail male Spy Song line sire in the world right now and he's no spring chicken.
Old 08-10-2006, 05:39 PM
Hialeah Park

Quote:
Originally Posted by sumitas
Crimson Satan (i don't know which thread is which)

Alladin Rib is the only tail male Spy Song line sire in the world right now and he's no spring chicken.
Sumitas,
I don't know so I'm asking. How was Danzig as a brood mare sire?
Thanks.
DTS
Old 08-10-2006, 05:42 PM
Balletto

Its safe to say Danzig is a top broodmare sire. It should be interesting to see how he performs as a broodmare sire of sires though.
Old 08-10-2006, 05:52 PM
Hialeah Park

Quote:
Originally Posted by Balletto
Its safe to say Danzig is a top broodmare sire. It should be interesting to see how he performs as a broodmare sire of sires though.
Thanks Balletto,
You just said something I've been thinking for a while.
As a broodmare sire of sires...time will tell.
DTS
Old 08-10-2006, 05:57 PM
Dee Tee Stables

do you mean horses like fusaichi pegasus? his dam is a danzig mare. he came to mind immediately.
danzig was an incredible sire. thank goodness woody talked claiborne into taking a chance on him. and you see him all over the place as a broodmare sire as well. the legend lives on.
Old 08-10-2006, 06:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Downthestretch55
Somerfrost,
As you might already know, I'm a big fan of Broad Brush also. He is the sire of Best of Luck (High Cliff Farm).
Bourbon Streettune, one of my mares, is now in foal to him.
Have a look:

http://www.highcliff.com/registry_pdf/best_of_luck.pdf

Best of Luck is beautifully bred....you should get a really nice foal...best wishes!