Derby Trail Forums

Go Back   Derby Trail Forums > "At the Races with Steve Byk"
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 01-21-2009, 05:45 PM
Cahokia Downs

Default Possible show idea...

Just an idea in regards to maybe a monthly half hour segment dedicated to talking about horse racing memorabilia. Not sure if there would be a certain person to reach out to talk about any memorabilia or collectables, just a thought. I enjoy collecting all items such as saddle cloths, grooms vests, bobbles, photos, tickets, programs..etc.
Love the show!!
Ken
Old 01-21-2009, 10:50 PM
Ellis Park

Great idea, Ken. I'm a collector too.

"We are buried beneath the weight of information, which is being confused with knowledge; quantity is being confused with abundance and wealth with happiness. We are monkeys with money and guns. " ~ Tom Waits
Old 01-23-2009, 01:06 PM
Cahokia Downs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Echo Farm
Great idea, Ken. I'm a collector too.

If you don't mind me asking, what items to you have in your collection?
Old 02-02-2009, 07:08 PM
Cahokia Downs

Just wondering if this idea has any legs or not?
Old 02-02-2009, 07:14 PM
Sha Tin

Maybe if Steve crosspromoted with Channel 99 hosts
Old 02-02-2009, 07:17 PM
Flemington

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ogygian
Just wondering if this idea has any legs or not?
I would guess not, it seems more of an idea that would be more appreciated if it could be seen and not heard. I would rather be able to see a painting, saddelcloth, bobblehead etc.. than to listen to descriptions of it on the radio.
Old 02-03-2009, 12:39 AM
Washington Park

How About My Benchwarmer Girls Card Collection????????????:d
Old 02-03-2009, 05:18 AM
Steve Byk

It's a fine idea. I'd love to do a memorabilia segment... One issue though is that a saddlecloth conversation was broached a few years ago by the 'previous hostting duo' which led to a defamation threat by a noted seller of them. But I think we can skirt that this time around.
Old 02-03-2009, 05:43 AM
Atlantic City Race Course

I wouldn't even know how to start a collection. I understand the visual part but I think it would be interesting to hear what people collect. I think Riot collects tail hairs or something.. could be wrong. I understand she is extracting the dna and working to create a super horse
Old 02-03-2009, 07:10 AM
Ellis Park

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kasept
It's a fine idea. I'd love to do a memorabilia segment... One issue though is that a saddlecloth conversation was broached a few years ago by the 'previous hostting duo' which led to a defamation threat by a noted seller of them. But I think we can skirt that this time around.
Was the double t in hosting intentional or a mmistake? The seller is legit and gets his cloths through legitamate means. You couldn't convince the "duo" that most owners don't give a rat sass about the cloths. It was strange that there are no police reports filed for all of the stolen cloths.

Even as a collector, after thinking about it, I'm not sure that many people would be interested in hearing much about collectables.

The discussion of collectables has come up on several forums, but never last very long and usually fade to the basement along with other topics that draw little interest.
"We are buried beneath the weight of information, which is being confused with knowledge; quantity is being confused with abundance and wealth with happiness. We are monkeys with money and guns. " ~ Tom Waits
Old 02-03-2009, 07:12 AM
Steve Byk

Quote:
Was the double t in hosting intentional or a mmistake? The seller is legit and gets his cloths through legitamate means. You couldn't convince the "duo" that most owners don't give a rat sass about the cloths. It was strange that there are no police reports filed for all of the stolen cloths.

Even as a collector, after thinking about it, I'm not sure that many people would be interested in hearing much about collectables.
The double t's were a typo... lol.

I think we could make a segment on collecting race memorabilia entertaining...
Old 02-03-2009, 03:41 PM
Cahokia Downs

Quote:

The discussion of collectables has come up on several forums, but never last very long and usually fade to the basement along with other topics that draw little interest.
I would agree that if it did make the show as a segment it could be done only on a monthly basis. With the amount of items on ebay (2,500 approx) and the variety of those items. It would be nice to put a value or worth to some items and hear about collections. For example how do they decide which horses they will have a bobble head made after? Most recent is Curlin, why not Easy Goer, Sunday Silence, Ruffian or Eight Belles...or why can't they do a "FatHead" of Secretariat or what is the value of a Invasor halter?
Old 02-03-2009, 04:09 PM
Ellis Park

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ogygian
I would agree that if it did make the show as a segment it could be done only on a monthly basis. With the amount of items on ebay (2,500 approx) and the variety of those items. It would be nice to put a value or worth to some items and hear about collections. For example how do they decide which horses they will have a bobble head made after? Most recent is Curlin, why not Easy Goer, Sunday Silence, Ruffian or Eight Belles...or why can't they do a "FatHead" of Secretariat or what is the value of a Invasor halter?
As far as the value of an Invasor halter, it would depend on where the halter came from, how long it was worn for, and the provenance attached to the halter.
Ebay is a pretty good indicator of the values as it shows what the items actually sold for, but they've changed things so it's tough to search back as far as could be done a few years ago.

As far as bobbleheads go, for the most part, they are (in racing) track giveaways, so they probably sit around and try to figure out what will bring in the most bettors. As far as Fatheads, I don't think the market would warrant it.

I think a segment would be interesting, but only care about certain aspects of collecting. Bob Fox's brother Peter (pedrozorro) is a big seller of photos and saddlecloths, but he has a day job, so may not be able to contribute.