Derby Trail Forums

Go Back   Derby Trail Forums > Main Forum > The Paddock
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 08-10-2006, 06:56 AM
Arlington Park

Default Best broodmare (revisited)

My pick for the Arlington Million on Saturday is Cacique. If I am right and he wins it, it will certainly add yet another reason to include the mare Hasili to the list of best broodmares. I don't recall seeing her mentioned on the previous thread about this subject, but her record as a mommy is quite remarkable.
Along with her two BC winners, Intercontinental and Banks Hill, she has produced Matriarch and Beverly D winner Heat Haze, and now Cacique!!

Of her six foals, Dansili is FIFTH in earnings, and he earned over $500,000!!! Incredible. After Cacique's win on Saturday her legacy will continue to grow.
Old 08-10-2006, 07:01 AM
5'8".. but all man!

Quote:
Originally Posted by miraja2
My pick for the Arlington Million on Saturday is Cacique. If I am right and he wins it, it will certainly add yet another reason to include the mare Hasili to the list of best broodmares. I don't recall seeing her mentioned on the previous thread about this subject, but her record as a mommy is quite remarkable.
Along with her two BC winners, Intercontinental and Banks Hill, she has produced Matriarch and Beverly D winner Heat Haze, and now Cacique!!

Of her six foals, Dansili is FIFTH in earnings, and he earned over $500,000!!! Incredible. After Cacique's win on Saturday her legacy will continue to grow.

I wish him the best of luck and if he had came along at another time, he would be near the top of my list, as I loved Intercontinental. I miss seeing that gal run. But, he has been a great opponent for English Channel and I look forward to another running of their fast developing rivalry this weekend.
Old 08-10-2006, 07:20 AM
Arlington Park

Quote:
Originally Posted by GPK
I wish him the best of luck and if he had came along at another time, he would be near the top of my list, as I loved Intercontinental. I miss seeing that gal run. But, he has been a great opponent for English Channel and I look forward to another running of their fast developing rivalry this weekend.
Yeah it should be a great race to watch, and a great one to bet. I like English Channel too, but I feel he will probably be overbet in a race with such a great field & I think I will probably get a good price on a horse like Cacique. Hard to know for sure, but I think the tote board will determine the way I play this race more than it does in most races.
If Cacique does win, I really think Hasili will start to get more credit. Intercontinental, Heat Haze, Bank's Hill, and Cacique. Amazing!! I'll take those 4 over the top 4 runners from any other broodmare I can think of in the last 30 years!!
Old 08-10-2006, 07:36 AM
5'8".. but all man!

Quote:
Yeah it should be a great race to watch, and a great one to bet. I like English Channel too, but I feel he will probably be overbet in a race with such a great field & I think I will probably get a good price on a horse like Cacique. Hard to know for sure, but I think the tote board will determine the way I play this race more than it does in most races.
If Cacique does win, I really think Hasili will start to get more credit. Intercontinental, Heat Haze, Bank's Hill, and Cacique. Amazing!! I'll take those 4 over the top 4 runners from any other broodmare I can think of in the last 30 years!!

Im gonna bet EC no matter what. Only the odds are gonna dictate how much. Low odds, not alot of money, higher odds, more money. Just wish I knew more about the Euro invadors.
Old 08-10-2006, 09:20 AM
Balletto

Are we talking best mares currently producing or best broodmares of all time?

For me, almost even more important than being a producer of 5 G1 winners, is being able to produce stakes winners who inturn produce stakes winners. You can be a broodmare of the year but not necessarily be a "bluehen" in my book. Its all about creating a fountain-head of stakes winners that carries over generations.

I look at such notable and fantastic producers such as Dahlia, and although she accomplished so much on the track and in the shed, her daughters werent able to pass on the goods, which is going to prevent her from being a true bluehen.

Hasili's daughters are still young and fully expect them to be top broodmares, so I wont conceed the name "bluehen" onto her yet, but I expect to within 10 years.
Old 08-10-2006, 09:26 AM
Atlantic City Race Course

What about Dear Birdie?
Old 08-10-2006, 09:27 AM

Seriously, Balletto, interested in your opinion on this particular topic. You're as well versed in pedigree as just about anybody.
Old 08-10-2006, 10:04 AM
Arlington Park

Quote:
Originally Posted by Balletto
Are we talking best mares currently producing or best broodmares of all time?

For me, almost even more important than being a producer of 5 G1 winners, is being able to produce stakes winners who inturn produce stakes winners. You can be a broodmare of the year but not necessarily be a "bluehen" in my book. Its all about creating a fountain-head of stakes winners that carries over generations.
Yes I suppose these are two different discussions. In terms of what her offspring have accomplished on the track (not in the shed) I think she is the best "currently producing" mare and may begining to merit discussion among the best of all time. Producing two different BC winners is amazing enough. Then when you add her other quality offspring she amazes me, and she isn't even done!! Who knows what a great horse like Cacique will accomplish the remainder of the year and what else she will produce.
Old 08-10-2006, 01:27 PM
Keeneland

Another mare I like is Willamae, the dam of Will's Way by Easy Goer. She is also the dam of Citidancer by Dixieland Band.
Old 08-10-2006, 01:29 PM

Doesn't Will's Way stand in like West Virginia now?
Old 08-10-2006, 01:32 PM
Keeneland

Quote:
Originally Posted by slotdirt
Doesn't Will's Way stand in like West Virginia now?
Pennsylvania, I think.
Old 08-10-2006, 01:40 PM
Sunshine Park

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cajungator26
Pennsylvania, I think.
Yes, he is up here in Pennsylvania.
Old 08-10-2006, 05:35 PM
Dee Tee Stables

Quote:

ackshully, i mentioned her in that thread and chose her in another to be awarded broodmare of the year...she's definitely deserving of the award.