Derby Trail Forums

Go Back   Derby Trail Forums > Main Forum > Equine Health, Retirement & Aftercare
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 02-01-2007, 03:56 PM
Ellis Park

Default 98 horses 65 cows 65 goats & 50+ dogs Starving near Atlanta, GA

Please Cross Post

Agriculture Official: Ga. Starvation Case "One of the Worst Situations We've Ever Dealt With"

http://www.thehorse.com/ViewArticle.aspx?ID=8845

The horses got food Monday when volunteers brought in truckloads of hay and oats.

Kristin Reid, a local horse farm owner, has been trying to round up supplies for the animals. Reid, who was one of the volunteers delivering food, said she counted 98 horses, 65 cows, 65 goats and 50 to 60 dogs. Reid said some of the dogs had been killing the goats and eating them.

Other animals, animal bodies and fresh graves were scattered around the farm.

"It's horrific. I've never seen anything like it," Reid said. "There are dead animals, there are dying animals, there are starving animals everywhere."

Quote:
Irvin said he had heard reports that the owners had shot several of the animal last night, but couldn't confirm it
But he said even if he did, it wouldn't be illegal.

"It's legal, but it's not advisable," he said.

Anyone who would like to donate money to the Department of Agriculture's horse rescue fund can call 404-656-3671. Irvin said they also will accept high-quality hay and feed at the farm for the animals.
http://www.ajc.com/living/content/li...etanimals.html

more stories using google news link: http://news.google.com/news?ie=UTF-8...ls&btnG=Search
Old 02-01-2007, 06:06 PM
Atlantic City Race Course

I must've missed the part where the owners are in jail and expected to stay there
Correct me if I am wrong but didn't Sharon Hild the owner or Glen Hild - trainer of Dust on the Bottle leave his horses to starve? I can' find the story and am only going on memory
Old 02-01-2007, 08:46 PM
Ellis Park

Update on Pike County Animal Case Press Release 02/01/2007

http://agr.georgia.gov/00/article/0,...914748,00.html

Quote:
............Horses are being cared for at the site under the supervision of state veterinarians and staff of the Equine Health Office of the Georgia Department of Agriculture.

This case is particularly challenging because of the number and variety of animals. In addition, Department of Agriculture impound facilities are full and the horses at this Pike County site are currently under quarantine for suspicion of having strangles, a bacterial respiratory disease that is highly contagious to other equine. The horses cannot be moved near other horses...........

..............Irvin said his department's Equine Impound Program receives no state funds. He said those wishing to contribute to the care and feeding of horses could send a check to:

Equine Impound Program Office of Equine Health
Room 143
19 Martin Luther King Jr. Drive
Atlanta, 30334.

Please make the check payable to “Georgia Department of Agriculture” and write “Equine Impound Program” in the check’s memo line.

Last edited by Echo Farm : 02-01-2007 at 09:23 PM.
Old 02-02-2007, 01:49 PM
Samm

Needed!!
Leather halters
rubber ground feed tubs
buckets,
crimped oats
equine senior feed,
equine junior feed
any combination of alfalfa/orchard grass/timothy hay (square bales)
No Bermuda
Old 02-02-2007, 02:19 PM
Keeneland

I'll be sending a check for sure.
Old 02-02-2007, 02:25 PM
Sha Tin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samm
Needed!!
Leather halters
rubber ground feed tubs
buckets,
crimped oats
equine senior feed,
equine junior feed
any combination of alfalfa/orchard grass/timothy hay (square bales)
No Bermuda
where do we send it?
Old 02-02-2007, 02:26 PM
Sha Tin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cannon Shell
where do we send it?
I have halters, buckets, feed tubs
Old 02-02-2007, 05:52 PM
PaulRyansew

Quote:
Originally Posted by AeWingnut
I must've missed the part where the owners are in jail and expected to stay there
Yeah, I was hoping to read something about that as well...

What's shocking to me is how VOLUNTEERS are doing everything, with no help from the state or county whatsoever. I certainly hope that the owners would be expected to remunerate the people who are donating their mony, feed, and equipment, but I won't hold my breath...
Old 02-02-2007, 05:55 PM
top predator.

update...

http://www.thehorse.com/ViewArticle.aspx?ID=8858

http://agr.georgia.gov/00/article/0,...975465,00.html
Old 02-02-2007, 08:25 PM
top predator.

info on the process of re-feeding the starved horse...

http://www.ker.com/library/equinereview/n30.pdf
Old 02-02-2007, 09:34 PM
Flemington

Surprised these owners haven't had their faces somehow meet the back of a shovel.
Old 02-03-2007, 04:25 AM
Samm

Quote:
Originally Posted by paisjpq
info on the process of re-feeding the starved horse...

http://www.ker.com/library/equinereview/n30.pdf
My God.... they are a long way out of the woods! They will need alot of volunteers!
Old 02-04-2007, 08:40 PM
top predator.

update...67 horses removed

http://www.thehorse.com/ViewArticle.aspx?ID=8872
Old 02-05-2007, 06:00 AM
Ellis Park

Subject: Update on Pike County Horses - Requested Supplies - Request for Volunteers

Friends of the Pike County Horses,

The remaining horses from Pike County were impounded last night and the total count is 99. We were fortunate that all of them made the trip safe and sound. Although some continue to have signs of respiratory illness, all are now resting comfortably in individual stalls and are receiving food, water and veterinary attention. A State Agriculture Response Team was activated over the weekend and we must thank the team members from the GA Department of Agriculture, the GA Forestry Commission, the USDA Veterinary Services, and the University of Georgia for their rapid response. We also thank the volunteers from the Georgia Equine Rescue League and the Humane Society of the United States and others who volunteered their time to assist us on short notice.

REQUEST FOR SUPPLIES FOR THE COMING WEEK:
Following is the list of needed supplies for this coming week. You can drop these off at any of the three Horse Town locations (Locust Grove, Marietta, Snellville), or at the TC Supply on Hwy 20 in Canton.
Pyrantel Pamoate wormer (ex - Strongid)
Fenbendazole wormer (ex - Panacur, Safe Guard)
Psyllium powder (not pellets or cumbles) labeled for horses (ex - Sand Blast, Sand Clear)
Digest Aid

REQUEST FOR VOLUNTEERS FOR THE COMING WEEK:
The Department will need volunteers to assist with cleaning stalls and barn chores for the coming week. We need 8 volunteers for the morning shift of 8 am - 12 noon, and 8 volunteers for the afternoon shift of 1 pm - 5 pm. Volunteers for any length of time are appreciated. Volunteers must complete a volunteer application packet with the Personnel Office and be approved by the Georgia Department of Agriculture. For security reasons, no self-deployed volunteer will be allowed on the property.

REQUEST FOR MONETARY CONTRIBUTIONS:
Feeding and caring for 99 horses will certainly demand significant costs, and the Georgia Department of Agriculture does not receive state dollars to pay for feed, equipment and supplies. So, monetary donations are greatly appreciated in order to purchase the necessary resources to nurse them back to health.

To send a tax deductible donation to the general Equine Impound Program, please send a check to:
Georgia Department of Agriculture
Office of Equine Health, Room 143
19 MLK Jr., Drive
Atlanta, GA 30334
Place in the memo line "Equine Impound Program"

Many thanks to the Georgia Equine Rescue League who is managing the logistics of feed and hay. This is a huge task! To send a tax deductible donation which may be earmarked for this specific case, send a check to:
Georgia Equine Rescue League
PO Box 787
Locust Grove, GA 30248
Place in the memo line "Pike County Impound"

Attached you will find two newspaper articles from today's papers.

Again, thank you for the outpouring of help for these poor animals. Be looking for a situation report from the Department of Agriculture at approximately 2 pm tomorrow (Monday, February 5). You will find all press releases and situation reports on the Department website at www.agr.georgia.gov under "news and events" on the homepage.

LMM

Lee M. Myers, DVM, MPH, Dipl. ACVPM
State Veterinarian
Assistant Commissioner of Animal Industry
Georgia Department of Agriculture
19 MLK Jr., Drive
Atlanta, GA 30334

Office: 404-656-3671
Fax: 404-657-1357
Cell: 404-895-5658
Email: lmyers@agr.state.ga.us
Web: http://www.agr.georgia.gov
Old 02-07-2007, 07:26 PM
top predator.

99 horses 67 dogs and 3 rabbits removed.

http://www.thehorse.com/ViewArticle.aspx?ID=8896
Old 02-09-2007, 05:15 PM
PaulRyansew

My morbid sense of curiosity is wanting to know what sort of excuse these owners have offered for their appalling negligence, if any.
Old 02-09-2007, 05:16 PM
top predator.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gemtwyst
My morbid sense of curiosity is wanting to know what sort of excuse these owners have offered for their appalling negligence, if any.
me too! but I haven't seen anything...
Old 02-10-2007, 08:46 AM
Samm

One of the most reasonable answers would be that they were cut off from their feed store. If they got behind on payments this would happen for sure and if they have had problems before with other feed suppliers they would be *** out of luck on getting feed. This would be the only reasonable answer to me...
Old 02-10-2007, 09:43 AM
Ellis Park

Default Updates

Quote:
A Pike County couple was arrested and charged with cruelty to animals Friday — a week after 99 horses and 29 dogs were removed from their 600-acre farm.

Roger Prater, 56, was in Pike County Jail Friday afternoon. His wife, Bobbie Allison, 70, was released on bond, their attorney Virgil Brown said.

Prater and Allison were each charged with 100 counts of cruelty to animals, and one count each of animal running at large and improper disposal of a livestock carcass.

Each charge carries a maximum penalty of 12 months in jail and a $1,000 fine.

In addition to the Pike County charges, there is an active felony warrant for Prater's arrest in Tennessee.

The warrant charges that Prater bought but did not pay for horses while at an auction in Tennessee. Authorities there are waiting to extradite him.
Complete story: http://www.ajc.com/metro/content/met...methorses.html

Sesiure of animals challenged: http://www.ajc.com/metro/content/met...methorses.html