Derby Trail Forums

Go Back   Derby Trail Forums > Main Forum > Equine Health, Retirement & Aftercare
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 04-26-2011, 11:09 AM
Steve Byk

Default 4/26 ATR 'Upper Airway Obstruction' Conversation

For those that were interested in Tuesday's Horse Health Today segment with Dr. Allday, here is a July 2004 TTimes piece that beautifully differentiates throat obstructions and respective corrective measures:

http://www.thoroughbredtimes.com/hor...r-the-air.aspx

Veterinary Spotlight: Clear the air
Posted: Saturday, July 17, 2004

Careful diagnosis indicates type of treatment for wind problems

FORTY PERCENT of horses that perform poorly despite exhibiting no obvious physical problems have undiagnosed upper airway obstruction. The two most common types of wind problems are dorsal displacement of the soft palate, which causes flapping of loose tissue in the throat, and laryngeal hemiplegia, a paralysis of the arytenoid cartilage (flapper) usually on the left side of the horse's larynx.

Other less common problems are entrapment of the epiglottis, when the flap of cartilage that covers the opening of the larynx is sucked into the airway upon inhalation; epiglottic fold collapse, caused by weak epiglottic cartilage; and pharyngeal collapse, which occurs when suction from the horse inhaling causes the walls of the pharynx to collapse.

The soft palate is the tissue at the back of the roof of the mouth that separates the entrance of the esophagus from the entrance to the windpipe. Normally, it forms a tight seal that allows air into the windpipe and food into the esophagus, but not vice versa.

Dorsal displacement of the soft palate, or a flipped palate, occurs in certain horses that break this seal and begin breathing through the mouth and the nose at the same time, typically during peak exertion. The soft palate begins to flap, just as it does in humans who snore, and the flapping of this loose, soft tissue causes severe airway obstruction. The jockey will hear a gurgling or choking noise, and the horse will stop running until it swallows, which allows the soft palate to return to its proper position.

Three types of traditional surgery--myectomy, tenectomy, and staphylectomy-- routinely are performed on horses to stop them from flipping their palates.
Old 04-26-2011, 11:18 AM
Saratoga

I tuned out midway during Vic. The most annoying know it all ****ing caller of all times telling us how to bet. It's the POOLS moron. Isn't the goal to be involved in the biggest Parimutual pools? I love these clowns that say they won't bet the derby or Breeders cup like it shows sophistication. Let him enjoy playing in a 25 K Exacta pool at butt**** downs. I'll take my chances swimming in these pools (Last years Derby)

Ex $21,608,785.00
Tri $25,451,417.00
Super $8,516,113.00
P3 $1,139,397.00
P4 $1,999,504.00
Old 04-26-2011, 11:20 AM
Steve Byk

Indeed, it was a silly call and odd opinion. (But no need to stop listening! There was another 2 hours and 40 minutes of the show thereafter that was pretty strong.)
Old 04-26-2011, 11:23 AM
Saratoga

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kasept View Post
Indeed, it was a silly call and odd opinion. (But no need to stop listening! There was another 2 hours and 40 minutes of the show thereafter that was pretty strong.)
I got all worked up.
Old 04-26-2011, 11:26 AM
Steve Byk

Quote:
Originally Posted by jms62 View Post
I got all worked up.

Archive, Podcast, Stream, Replay...
Old 04-26-2011, 11:27 AM
Saratoga

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kasept View Post

Archive, Podcast, Stream, Replay...
Will do.
Old 04-26-2011, 03:05 PM
The Curragh

Quote:
Originally Posted by jms62 View Post
I tuned out midway during Vic. The most annoying know it all ****ing caller of all times telling us how to bet. It's the POOLS moron. Isn't the goal to be involved in the biggest Parimutual pools? I love these clowns that say they won't bet the derby or Breeders cup like it shows sophistication. Let him enjoy playing in a 25 K Exacta pool at butt**** downs. I'll take my chances swimming in these pools (Last years Derby)

Ex $21,608,785.00
Tri $25,451,417.00
Super $8,516,113.00
P3 $1,139,397.00
P4 $1,999,504.00

It was the dumbest comment ever.
Ive have made in 3 of the 5 Derby's I have bet.

I have made a killing in the 2yo races at Kee this meet....thank goodness cause I have sucked for the most part on everything else.

Betting horses doing something for the first time is the one way in this sport to get a price when everyone else is looking the other way.
*Redboard alert*
My biggest cash last year was when King Congie ran on turf for the first time.
He went off at a crazy 43-1.
Next out he won the Tropical Park Derby at 4-1 (everyone knew he could handle the turf then = No value)

BTW, That didn't sound like Vic really to me.
Or I guess he could have been drunk.