Derby Trail Forums

Go Back   Derby Trail Forums > Stakes Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 07-17-2010, 04:12 PM
Havre de Grace

God forbid there's even one iota of pace in the Beverly D and the Secretariat because Tuscan Evening and Workin for Hops couldn't have had it any easier today.

NT
Old 07-17-2010, 04:12 PM
Atlantic City Race Course

Not hard to believe at all.

7 gallops, nothing else picks up its feet.

The 4 has TERRIBLE turf action.
Old 07-17-2010, 04:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NTamm1215 View Post
God forbid there's even one iota of pace in the Beverly D and the Secretariat because Tuscan Evening and Workin for Hops couldn't have had it any easier today.

NT
Hard to believe isn't it? All these guys entering these horses in these big money races have ABSOLUTELY NOTHING in the barn that they could enter in the way of ensuring an honest pace.
Old 07-17-2010, 04:16 PM
Saratoga

Quote:
Originally Posted by NTamm1215 View Post

NT
I'm licking my chops for Million Day right now. Both horses are gonna be heavy favorites most likely, Paddy would be favored here but the other horse would take money.
Old 07-17-2010, 04:22 PM
Arlington Park

I almost always look to the Euro's on A Million day anyway so these performances no matter how impressive or NOT mean little to me.
Old 07-17-2010, 06:05 PM
Super Mod.. and Super Fly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scav View Post
No doubt she is a very good horse but these f'n jocks are just retarded. Let a Grade 1 filly barely get out of gallop the first 8 furlongs.

Let me also say that I am pretty happy that she won today because I won't play her next time if he ships her back to California and trains her there. If she stays here she will be pretty tough in the Bev D
Who the hell was going to go with her on paper? The race played out like it figured to. You said yourself the course was "as firm as firm gets" and you let yourself get beat by a lone speed frontrunner in a six-horse field? They're definitely going to the Beverly D BTW.
Old 07-17-2010, 06:14 PM
Saratoga

Quote:
Originally Posted by ateamstupid View Post
Who the hell was going to go with her on paper? The race played out like it figured to. You said yourself the course was "as firm as firm gets" and you let yourself get beat by a lone speed frontrunner in a six-horse field? They're definitely going to the Beverly D BTW.
I know they are definetly going, and I didn't get beat by her (notice post above that said (only two horses that can win are her and Rainbow View). I got beat by Workin for Hops. I said that I would be betting against her if they took her back to California and then shipped back here. I don't like when horses ship back and forth via plane. If they would keep her here, she would probably be lock city depending on who comes over from Europe.
Old 07-17-2010, 06:17 PM
Super Mod.. and Super Fly

Quote:
I know they are definetly going, and I didn't get beat by her (notice post above that said (only two horses that can win are her and Rainbow View). I got beat by Workin for Hops. I said that I would be betting against her if they took her back to California and then shipped back here. I don't like when horses ship back and forth via plane. If they would keep her here, she would probably be lock city depending on who comes over from Europe.
I know, but you called the jocks morons as if they were taking back speed horses and letting Tuscan Evening go unexpectedly, when she was lone speed from the entry box. Start betting NYRA turf races with regularity and you'll see some real pace ignorant morons.
Old 07-17-2010, 06:19 PM
Saratoga

Quote:
Originally Posted by ateamstupid View Post
I know, but you called the jocks morons as if they were taking back speed horses and letting Tuscan Evening go unexpectedly, when she was lone speed from the entry box. Start betting NYRA turf races with regularity and you'll see some real pace ignorant morons.
Old 07-17-2010, 07:54 PM

Quote:
I'm licking my chops for Million Day right now. Both horses are gonna be heavy favorites most likely, Paddy would be favored here but the other horse would take money.
Barring some Euro import, what sophomore is going to show up and beat either of them? Paddy is a monster on the lawn right now and Workin For Hops loves this course and will figure to find another tactically perfect pressing spot in the Secretariat.

It's only awesome to have two horses "take money" if there's actually someone in the race that can beat them. Or are we banking on Mint Chip to turn things around in the next six weeks?

I don't follow.
Old 07-17-2010, 10:26 PM
Saratoga

Quote:
Originally Posted by brianwspencer View Post
Barring some Euro import, what sophomore is going to show up and beat either of them? Paddy is a monster on the lawn right now and Workin For Hops loves this course and will figure to find another tactically perfect pressing spot in the Secretariat.

It's only awesome to have two horses "take money" if there's actually someone in the race that can beat them. Or are we banking on Mint Chip to turn things around in the next six weeks?

I don't follow.
What I am implying is that Paddy will be 7/5 and Working for Hops will be 2/1 in a race that will have 8-9 horses. Now, Working for Hops has zero shot at finishing ahead of Paddy and would gladly give you 3/2 odds heads up on that happening.

Workin for Hops does not love this course, he loves the absolute two perfect trips he has gotten over it. Do you really believe Albarado had plane trouble today, it is a 5 hour drive up here, he could have been up here by Noon if he REALLY wanted to. He handicapped the race wrong, like I did.

Obviously the card isn't drawn and have 5 weeks to yap, but the only thing Paddy O Prado has to worry about is some Euro coming over, and because Hops is in the race and will take money away from Paddy, I am super excited to get about above even money on a horse that I will probably have 2/5 to win.

And allow me to throw a conspiracy angle out there that Romans also shows up with that Aptitude colt that the name escapes me becuase the horse is done and his brother owns I think. He will certainity keep the pace honest in that race if he does.
Old 07-18-2010, 01:30 AM

Quote:
He handicapped the race wrong, like I did.
Well this sums it up. You just keep on keepin' on, Tom. You seem to be really on to something here. You think Albarado is stupid enough to think that even though the race set up PERFECTLY for him, it made sense to bail on a paycheck?

You're on fire. 'Cisco Giles could've ridden him to a win today -- good thing Robby 'capped' it right and bailed, sure he's happy he "faked" plane trouble.

Good 'cred, dude.
Old 07-18-2010, 07:06 AM
Goodwood

Quote:
What I am implying is that Paddy will be 7/5 and Working for Hops will be 2/1 in a race that will have 8-9 horses. Now, Working for Hops has zero shot at finishing ahead of Paddy and would gladly give you 3/2 odds heads up on that happening.

Workin for Hops does not love this course, he loves the absolute two perfect trips he has gotten over it. Do you really believe Albarado had plane trouble today, it is a 5 hour drive up here, he could have been up here by Noon if he REALLY wanted to. He handicapped the race wrong, like I did.

Obviously the card isn't drawn and have 5 weeks to yap, but the only thing Paddy O Prado has to worry about is some Euro coming over, and because Hops is in the race and will take money away from Paddy, I am super excited to get about above even money on a horse that I will probably have 2/5 to win.

And allow me to throw a conspiracy angle out there that Romans also shows up with that Aptitude colt that the name escapes me becuase the horse is done and his brother owns I think. He will certainity keep the pace honest in that race if he does.
Lost Aptitude?
Old 07-18-2010, 07:30 AM
Goodwood

Quote:
Well this sums it up. You just keep on keepin' on, Tom. You seem to be really on to something here. You think Albarado is stupid enough to think that even though the race set up PERFECTLY for him, it made sense to bail on a paycheck?

You're on fire. 'Cisco Giles could've ridden him to a win today -- good thing Robby 'capped' it right and bailed, sure he's happy he "faked" plane trouble.

Good 'cred, dude.

I don't want to speak for him, but I'm pretty sure Tom doesn't care about "'cred". I'm also going to go out on a limb and say he didn't know Robby had plane trouble (I didn't either) when he made the post you are revelling in trashing.

Personally, I'd like to see more handicapping opinions around here, right or wrong (and Tom's was quite wrong in this instance). It's too bad that we are seeing less and less, but the atmosphere has become so combative and condescending, it is driving the opinions away. It's unfortunate, but it seems to be the way of the internet (not just DT) these days.
Old 07-18-2010, 07:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigsmc View Post
I don't want to speak for him, but I'm pretty sure Tom doesn't care about "'cred".
You can say that again. Obviously.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigsmc View Post
Personally, I'd like to see more handicapping opinions around here, right or wrong (and Tom's was quite wrong in this instance). It's too bad that we are seeing less and less, but the atmosphere has become so combative and condescending, it is driving the opinions away. It's unfortunate, but it seems to be the way of the internet (not just DT) these days.
I'm sorry that I didn't take the high road you so crave, Bigs, because I have always appreciated you and the way you approach things, but perhaps if more people could offer "handicapping opinions" without being ridiculous blowhards, then handicapping would flow more freely and create less combative responses. It's a chicken/egg argument, and in this case, there's no going wrong for me. If Albarado had legit trouble getting to AP, then I'm in the clear. If he didn't, then he's a pisspoor handicapper, and he's clearly not alone. And Tom very clearly is saying that Albarado didn't have legit trouble getting to AP(saying he "knew" he had plane trouble, but calling it a lie and saying he could've made it anyway, re-read it) but decided to take off his mounts in a Grade II race where he was going to ride a heavy favorite (not to mention a legit shot on Marsh Side a half hour later) because he "capped" the race and thought it was a waste of time to show up. FFS, give me a break.

Sorry if that's combative and condescending, but it's not like I'm just swinging for the fences at an average joe who didn't make a post begging for it in the first place.
Old 07-18-2010, 10:15 AM
Saratoga

Quote:
You can say that again. Obviously.

I'm sorry that I didn't take the high road you so crave, Bigs, because I have always appreciated you and the way you approach things, but perhaps if more people could offer "handicapping opinions" without being ridiculous blowhards, then handicapping would flow more freely and create less combative responses. It's a chicken/egg argument, and in this case, there's no going wrong for me. If Albarado had legit trouble getting to AP, then I'm in the clear. If he didn't, then he's a pisspoor handicapper, and he's clearly not alone. And Tom very clearly is saying that Albarado didn't have legit trouble getting to AP(saying he "knew" he had plane trouble, but calling it a lie and saying he could've made it anyway, re-read it) but decided to take off his mounts in a Grade II race where he was going to ride a heavy favorite (not to mention a legit shot on Marsh Side a half hour later) because he "capped" the race and thought it was a waste of time to show up. FFS, give me a break.

Sorry if that's combative and condescending, but it's not like I'm just swinging for the fences at an average joe who didn't make a post begging for it in the first place.
I heard in the morning that he wasn't showing up. Why didn't Albarado drive? For 350k in purse action you better believe those guys get to places regardless of HOW if they are 'live'. Do you think he is going to say "Well I think I have no shot so **** it, I am not coming"

There is a total of 6 flights from Louisville to O'Hare and Midway before noon, it is a one hour flight. He could have been on one of the flights if he REALLY wanted to. 9 times out of 10 they have 25 people on, with 40 empty seats. Both areas has crystal clear mornings also. You are telling me that 400 people flew out of Louisville to Chicago before noon yesterday.

How come Julien Leproux didn't have trouble, or Torres? They sure got here yesterday.
Old 07-25-2010, 08:11 AM
Saratoga

Default Here is what some jocks did yesterday just to get to Minnesota

Quote:
Chris Emigh facebook update: GOOD NEWS! Ride 3 today in the Claiming Crown at Cantebury! BAD NEWS! My flight got cancelled and all other flights booked full cuz of the huge storm that went thru Chicago! Now I'm racing the six hour trip to Minneapolis in my SUV!! I'LL miss the 1st one but might pick up some races late cuz I think a lot of people r... stranded all over the country
Shane Sellers and Florent Geroux sat on a plane on the tarmac delayed for only 3 hours and still went and stayed

ET Baird reserved THREE FLIGHTS just to make sure he got there (two were cancelled)

Guess Albarado just didn't need the opportunity to ride a even money shot for 12k (after he rode the horse at Arlington before so it wasn't like he didn't know the horse) and the opportunity at another 9k on Marsh Side

Crystal blue sky in both locations and plane trouble yet a deluge of rain at O'Hare, one jock drives 6 hours through weather to get up there(and its a stiff and not easy six hours because I have made the trip), and a couple others sit on a plane for hours and instead of just coming back like they were going to, they stayed.

L O L