Derby Trail Forums

Go Back   Derby Trail Forums > Esoteric Central
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 07-12-2016, 06:03 PM
Hialeah Park

Default Detective Dennis Box

My new favorite character on television.

'The Night Of' has PROMISE!

Possibly the single best series premiere these eyes have ever witnessed.

Wow.
"A person who saw no important difference between the fire outside a Neandrathal's cave and a working thermo-nuclear reactor might tell you that junk bonds and derivatives BOTH serve to energize capital"

- Nathan Israel
Old 07-12-2016, 07:04 PM
Saratoga

Quote:
Originally Posted by declansharbor View Post

Wow.
Thanks. I'll give it a shot
Old 07-12-2016, 08:22 PM
Hialeah Park

Quote:
Originally Posted by jms62 View Post
Thanks. I'll give it a shot
Let me know what you think. I'm curious to see what RBElvis thinks as well. We usually see eye to eye on tv.
"A person who saw no important difference between the fire outside a Neandrathal's cave and a working thermo-nuclear reactor might tell you that junk bonds and derivatives BOTH serve to energize capital"

- Nathan Israel
Old 07-12-2016, 08:25 PM
Havre de Grace

Preacher says watch him instead
Old 07-12-2016, 09:58 PM
Belmont Park

Quote:

Let me know what you think. I'm curious to see what RBElvis thinks as well. We usually see eye to eye on tv.
This one has been in the works for a while (in fact, James Gandolfini was originally tagged to play John Turturro's role as the kid's lawyer) and did not disappoint. It's only slated for 8 episodes (hence the summer fill) so was looking forward to a short lived mini-series without having to add another one to the DVR.

I've seen a ton of these long form crime dramas lately and have to say, the ones that rope you in from the pilot tend to really hold up. This one is no exception (Bloodline on Netflix is an example of the polar opposite - great premise, great acting - but for fuks sake - the first 4 hours could have been accomplished in 2...still worth watching though, the 2nd season is sick)

A lot of promise - looking forward week 2...

As an aside, I have refused to watch the last 2 episodes of Banshee because I cannot stand the reality of that being over.

Watching Geno Segers (Chayton Littlefield) doing USAA insurance commercials is a soul crusher...
Old 07-13-2016, 06:48 AM
Saratoga

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudeboyelvis View Post
This one has been in the works for a while (in fact, James Gandolfini was originally tagged to play John Turturro's role as the kid's lawyer) and did not disappoint. It's only slated for 8 episodes (hence the summer fill) so was looking forward to a short lived mini-series without having to add another one to the DVR.

I've seen a ton of these long form crime dramas lately and have to say, the ones that rope you in from the pilot tend to really hold up. This one is no exception (Bloodline on Netflix is an example of the polar opposite - great premise, great acting - but for fuks sake - the first 4 hours could have been accomplished in 2...still worth watching though, the 2nd season is sick)

A lot of promise - looking forward week 2...

As an aside, I have refused to watch the last 2 episodes of Banshee because I cannot stand the reality of that being over.

Watching Geno Segers (Chayton Littlefield) doing USAA insurance commercials is a soul crusher...
Is "Sick" good or bad in this context?
Old 07-13-2016, 09:01 AM
Belmont Park

Quote:
Is "Sick" good or bad in this context?
Exceptionally good. Trying to keep up with the modern vernacular, Jim.
Old 07-15-2016, 04:18 AM
Saratoga

Saw it yesterday. Riveting. Thanks for the reminder.
Old 07-15-2016, 07:14 AM
Del Mar

Quote:

Wow.
Great pilot, cannot wait to see more. 👍🏼👍🏼
Old 07-27-2016, 10:36 PM
Saratoga

This is a really good show. The insight into the entire criminal justice system is frightening.
Old 09-06-2016, 11:39 AM
Belmont Park

Just watched the finale yesterday. Totally delivered. Agree with Jim - I don't know how much of that was poetic license, but if Riker's Island is a tenth as bad as what was portrayed, damn...
Old 09-06-2016, 12:14 PM
Saratoga

Quote:
Just watched the finale yesterday. Totally delivered. Agree with Jim - I don't know how much of that was poetic license, but if Riker's Island is a tenth as bad as what was portrayed, damn...
You think they left it at a point to bring it back next year?
Old 09-06-2016, 12:32 PM
Belmont Park

Quote:
You think they left it at a point to bring it back next year?
It was an enormous success for them - I'm sure there will be a season 2.

Question is, where does it go? It seems that the main characters were fairly well tied up by the end of the finale, and I don't know what interest there would be in following them prosecute the case of the financial adviser...

Perhaps it's a completely new mystery, ala True Detectives. Whatever it is I'll be watching
Old 09-06-2016, 01:40 PM
Del Mar

Quote:
It was an enormous success for them - I'm sure there will be a season 2.

Question is, where does it go? It seems that the main characters were fairly well tied up by the end of the finale, and I don't know what interest there would be in following them prosecute the case of the financial adviser...

Perhaps it's a completely new mystery, ala True Detectives. Whatever it is I'll be watching
Box could go after the killer, he was tailing him at the end unless my eyes were playing tricks on me? There's unfinished business there to me. Naz is still using, that could see him back locked up or he starts dealing on the outside, perhaps you bring Freddie back into the picture inside or outside of jail. They could go the True Detective rout, which has potential of course. Steven Zailian is a brilliant writer, director with a stellar list of credits if he wants there to be a 2nd season it will be must see viewing, especially from his story telling. Speaking of his story telling, he wrote the screenplay to the in development Scorsese film The Irishman, which reunites the acting talents of DeNiro, Pacino, Pesci, and Keitel (talk about getting the band back together lol)and toss in one of the great current performers Bobby Cannavale, that is a project to look forward to.