Derby Trail Forums

Go Back   Derby Trail Forums > The Steve Dellinger Discourse Den
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 05-31-2007, 01:19 PM
Santa Anita

Time slips by so fast. I'm sorry the bell tolls for him too soon.
Old 05-31-2007, 01:30 PM
Pimlico

I'm so sorry about your boy. Just keep telling him how much you love him until you know it's time -- I'm sure he already knows how special he is and that he is truly loved. Some people in their lives live lonelier and harder existences than our beloved pets ever do -- the only comforting thing about a dog having a shorter life is that at least we can know that we and our love for them have been a constant throughout all of their years. While you will miss him terribly, I hope you realize that he's a lucky, happy boy who's lived a wonderful life, so there's no reason to be sad for him. You keep your chin up, ok?
Old 05-31-2007, 04:50 PM
Detroit Race Course

I am truly sorry that you and your dog are going through this. I've been there...

Here's some advice, from experience.

When my 15 year old Border Collie started to fail (hind legs failed and cancer) the vet said that as long as he could mitigate his pain, our dog was happy and content to be with us. For the last 6 weeks of his life I made him cheese omelets with protein and vitamin powders in them to try and keep up his nutrition. He had little interest in regular dog food but rallied when served people food. I also took him on "walks" in a kid's wagon. He enjoyed sniffing his usual bushes and could meet up with his old doggie friends.

Not to get too graphic, I even "helped" him go to the bathroom by supporting his mid-section. He caught on to this right away and understood that I was their to hold him and he "did his thing" just fine.

Do what you can for as long as you can. Cherish the opportunity to give back 100%.

Thankfully, my border collie (the love of my life) died on his own terms. That was HIS final gift to me.
Old 05-31-2007, 05:07 PM
Hippodrome Bluebonnets

Hate to hear that your pal is not doing so good. My friend has a dog that's doing so good also. I've known them both for 7 years. He's a beagle and he's not going to make another Michigan winter we both decided. His arthritis has goten so bad when it gets cold he won't even be able to move outside of the pole barn. When the family is away he digs because he's lonely. Then he has a hard time getting around after all of that digging. I told him I'll do the deed of the staying with him when they put him to sleep. He says he can't do it and I don't blame him for it either. I've got a cat who's going to out live me so I'll be alright with him.
Old 05-31-2007, 05:17 PM
"The Kentucky Killing Machine"

sorry doc..
Old 05-31-2007, 05:35 PM
Hippodrome Bluebonnets

Unhappy

sorry doc,

for your pending lost. it hurts deeply, cause i lost to pits that help with with my kids. and it really hurt when we lost them. like it was family.
hang in there and just remember the good times with shadow.
Old 05-31-2007, 06:04 PM
Monmouth Park

Sorry Doc,

You'll know when it's time trust me and everyone else who has said it in this thread. I got a rough collie as a Christmas present when I was 2 years old and carried her into the vet when I was 19 to be put down, I stayed right there with her the whole time and carried her out. It's tough and you will feel it, but take comfort in the years of joy, the fact that he raised some wonderful children and know that his work is done.....hang in there......
Old 05-31-2007, 06:23 PM
Dee Tee Stables

Quote:
Originally Posted by docicu3

It's probably not the place for this and you would think I should be a hell of alot better with this given I deal with human suffering and death every day of my profesional life but the one completely selfless loving being I have ever known is leaving our family and I am beyond devastated.

My 12 year old golden "Shadow" (sassy chance and shadow with those with an awareness of that family).....was diagnosed with metastatic lymphoma yesterday. He isn't suffering at the moment but is disinterested in eating and his usual activity......

All this animal ever did was....

1) raise my children ........he had the unique innate ability to lie with young boys at night when they didn't want to be alone until they fell asleep, knowning somehow by the change in their breathing that slumber had befallen them and he could now safely leave their sides each night. The security he gave my sons is not definable.

2) greet me each and every time I came through a door morning, noon or night as if I had come home from a war with the passion and happiness of lovers too long apart.

3) lived to make our family happy each and every day, never cross, complaining or difficult. How many people do you know in your life that haven't got one annoying habit or flaw.

He isn't apparently in pain and has periods of alertness with a wagging tail, alert eyes, affection craving. Is it cruel to hold on to further time together if you think it is quality time from both perspectives.

My friend has done more for me several times over than I have ever done for him, a selfless example of devotion who made every person he lived with a better creature by knowning him. An example of altuism when the word is used all too easily.

Euthanized is a word I have a great deal of a problem with if the animal isn't apparently suffering.

I love my dog so shoot me......the loss is a hole in my head and heart I'll not soon mend.
oh doci i am so sorry! it's hard when it's a family pet, they don't know what's going on....poor baby.
i don't know what to say.
Old 05-31-2007, 06:44 PM
Atlantic City Race Course

This brings back some dark days.

I couldn't be there for Nick when he died. Long story - basically jerks at work. I've never got over it. Gretchen was special. I prepared all of her food in her twilight. She actually told me in her way - it was time. She walked up and gave me a kiss good-bye and she was not a kissie dog at all.

I'm sorry you are going through this. There is no way around it.
Old 05-31-2007, 07:10 PM
Gulfstream Park

Quote:
Originally Posted by Withers
I'm so sorry about your boy. Just keep telling him how much you love him until you know it's time -- I'm sure he already knows how special he is and that he is truly loved. Some people in their lives live lonelier and harder existences than our beloved pets ever do -- the only comforting thing about a dog having a shorter life is that at least we can know that we and our love for them have been a constant throughout all of their years. While you will miss him terribly, I hope you realize that he's a lucky, happy boy who's lived a wonderful life, so there's no reason to be sad for him. You keep your chin up, ok?
Doc,

I couldn't have said anything better or more eloquently than was quoted above by Withers...I am truly sorry for your friends tough times as well as yours...I'm sure all of us because of this thread appreciate more the special friends we have and the time and love we share together. I am showing this to my two teen boys tonight so they appreciate their best friend also!

Storm

http://<b>http://www.facebook.com/pr...ef=profile</b>
Old 05-31-2007, 08:08 PM
Sam Houston

So very sorry, Doc.

Let me echo Unstable's eloquence: "The loss is never easy. The love remains with you always."
Old 05-31-2007, 08:16 PM
Arlington Park

So sorry about your friend. Mine always told me when it was time. It was in their eyes. Deb
Old 05-31-2007, 08:16 PM
Saratoga

I'm so sorry.

Always know that you helped to make his life better, happier, as he did yours and that you are as special to him as i know he is to you.

Loss of any family member is difficult and the dark days before you know what's to come can make you feel helpless and alone.

But... but..... as others have said, just make sure his remaining days are filled with love and some of your time. That's all any of us need, right? Love and attention.

From you post, I know he receives both in unlimited quantity.

Someday you'll think of him and smile again. It might take a long time, but someday will come.

The very best to you and to your beautiful friend, now and always.
Old 05-31-2007, 08:18 PM
Arlington Park

Quote:
Originally Posted by packerbacker7964
Hate to hear that your pal is not doing so good. My friend has a dog that's doing so good also. I've known them both for 7 years. He's a beagle and he's not going to make another Michigan winter we both decided. His arthritis has goten so bad when it gets cold he won't even be able to move outside of the pole barn. When the family is away he digs because he's lonely. Then he has a hard time getting around after all of that digging. I told him I'll do the deed of the staying with him when they put him to sleep. He says he can't do it and I don't blame him for it either. I've got a cat who's going to out live me so I'll be alright with him.
Cosequin works great for stiffness and arthritis. I use the horse one for my dogs. The dog pills are much more expensive.
Old 05-31-2007, 09:57 PM
Churchill Downs

When I lost someone close to me, a friend wrote this in a card (and it has stayed in my mind for over 20 years):

"We are, all of us, molded and remolded by those who have loved us. No one, no experience, can cross our path without leaving some mark upon us forever."

Your best and loyal friend has helped to make you the man you are today and will be tomorrow. Your amazing dog will be with you forever... in your mind, your heart and in your children for a lifetime... what an amazing legacy to leave behind.

You're in my thoughts tonight... please keep us all updated about Shadows progress.
Old 06-01-2007, 02:17 AM
Hippodrome Bluebonnets

so sorry to hear this. with memories he will always be with you. take care and be easy on yourself. its hard. i have lost some also and it never gets easier. just hold him and hug him as long as you can. but when the time comes not only him but you to will know its time no matter how hard it is. thinking of you roger
Old 06-01-2007, 10:48 PM
pgardn

They are so innocent. Unconditional love.

Im so sorry.

Looking my Lab in the eye, crying like a baby when they put him down. Crushing. He was hurting. Just sat in my car at 3 am crying. Very draining.

Take it easy... please.
Old 06-02-2007, 05:12 PM
top predator.

I wish I had something profound to say or add to this thread....I am terribly sorry to hear about Shadow. I've only been through it once with a dog...a mixed breed runt who had been rejected by his mother, I got him at age seven and said good bye at 21....there are no words, he was fabulous. I've done it too many times though with horses and each one leaves a scar on my heart that just never seems to heal....I'm so sorry.
Old 06-05-2007, 01:50 PM
Del Mar

Quote:
Originally Posted by docicu3

It's probably not the place for this and you would think I should be a hell of alot better with this given I deal with human suffering and death every day of my profesional life but the one completely selfless loving being I have ever known is leaving our family and I am beyond devastated.

My 12 year old golden "Shadow" (sassy chance and shadow with those with an awareness of that family).....was diagnosed with metastatic lymphoma yesterday. He isn't suffering at the moment but is disinterested in eating and his usual activity......

All this animal ever did was....

1) raise my children ........he had the unique innate ability to lie with young boys at night when they didn't want to be alone until they fell asleep, knowning somehow by the change in their breathing that slumber had befallen them and he could now safely leave their sides each night. The security he gave my sons is not definable.

2) greet me each and every time I came through a door morning, noon or night as if I had come home from a war with the passion and happiness of lovers too long apart.

3) lived to make our family happy each and every day, never cross, complaining or difficult. How many people do you know in your life that haven't got one annoying habit or flaw.

He isn't apparently in pain and has periods of alertness with a wagging tail, alert eyes, affection craving. Is it cruel to hold on to further time together if you think it is quality time from both perspectives.

My friend has done more for me several times over than I have ever done for him, a selfless example of devotion who made every person he lived with a better creature by knowning him. An example of altuism when the word is used all too easily.

Euthanized is a word I have a great deal of a problem with if the animal isn't apparently suffering.

I love my dog so shoot me......the loss is a hole in my head and heart I'll not soon mend.
I am very sorry to hear about your dog. I know what you are going through. I just lost my dog of 13 years a couple of weeks ago. He had lymphoma just like your dog. It's been 16 days now and I am doing much better but I still haven't fully recovered. I can tell you that the first 4-5 days is terrible. I was an emotional mess for about 4-5 days. I had a couple of months to prepare for it also, yet that still didn't make it any easier.

I can tell you what really helped my dog's appetite. He didn't have a very good appetite after he got sick, so I started buying him rotisserie chickens from Whole Foods Market. I would hand-feed him chicken and would also mix it in with his regular food. It really did the trick. He loved that chicken. He loved it so much that his appetite remained very strong right up until his last couple of days.

I think that Prednisone helped my dog too. The vet recommended my dog go on Prednisone after he was diagnosed with lymphoma. She said that it can really help dogs with lymphoma. It's not a cure but I think it can give them an extra month or so and it will make them more comfortable.

Anyway, I really feel for you. It's a very hard thing to go through. You'll get through it, but it won't be easy. When you have had an animal for that long and you are that attached to them, it's a great loss when you lose them. It will take time to get over it. In the meantime, just give him all the love you can and enjoy the remaining time that you have left together.
Old 06-07-2007, 10:36 AM
The Curragh

Shadow Magliaro 04/30/1995-06/03/2007

"All Dogs Go To Heaven"