Derby Trail Forums

Go Back   Derby Trail Forums > The Steve Dellinger Discourse Den
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 09-11-2007, 10:37 AM
Saratoga

Default The Anniversary

Life as we knew it ended, in a sense, on September 10th, 2001.

Whether we felt safe or not wasn't a question, it wasn't an issue, it was just what was. It was life and like many good things, we took it for granted.

We didn't know. We didn't know.

Horrific images of events so unimaginable are burned into our collective memory and the traces and memories of fear, of profound sorrow and of pure outrage exist and always will.

We will never forget those who were so cruelly ripped from this earth, leaving holes in our hearts

We will never forget the selfless heroes and their actions.

We will never forget the madmen who redefined evil and who altered the course of history and gave the word terror new meaning.

And we will never forget the love for each other that followed in our collective rage and sadness.

We will never forget that day or where we were, who we were with, how we felt.

We will never forget the victims.

May the rest in peace and know that they are remembered and always will be.
Old 09-11-2007, 03:50 PM
Churchill Downs

Wow.. Said VERY WELL.... We allways have to remember & be thankful for everything we have... YOU never know when it can be taken away.
Gotta Love Horse Racing !!
Old 09-11-2007, 04:10 PM
Newmarket

nice words as usual MMSC.

before work I was watching the replay of that day on one of the cable news channels. they were showing it live as it happened on that day and it was chilling. I don't mind watching it over and over because it helps to fully grasp the enormity of what happened.
Old 09-11-2007, 04:36 PM
Hialeah Park

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArlJim78
nice words as usual MMSC.

before work I was watching the replay of that day on one of the cable news channels. they were showing it live as it happened on that day and it was chilling. I don't mind watching it over and over because it helps to fully grasp the enormity of what happened.
Did you ever see the United 93? I thought that was an incredible movie. They used many non actors who were the actual people working that day. You think you are watching a "movie", but it's catula footage, broadcasts, etc...intense and chilling
Old 09-11-2007, 05:21 PM
The Curragh

A tragic day, which hit the world hard..........

It hurt in the UK, so i cannot start to imagine how it felt in the U.S.

As mmsc said, we will never forget where we were or what we were doing when we first heard the news, that day will stay with me forever.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lHstQv8C2zQ

and now we murderers because we kill time
Old 09-11-2007, 06:19 PM
Arlington Park

Well said MMSC.
Old 09-11-2007, 06:21 PM
Randwyck

I watched the rebroadcast on MSNBC this morning............at first I didn't want to see it again....................and then I watched so I won't forget it ever. 78% of the folks who were around on 12/7/41 see 9/11/01 as the biggest event in their lifetimes (I'm sure media has a big effect). Don't let anyone forget 9/11.
Old 09-11-2007, 06:47 PM
Flemington

Very nice storm cat, how very true. Our world changed that day. Those innocent people were murdered. We can't ever forget what happened that day. I hope we eventually get that bastard!

As far as the coverage went that day, it was unbelievable. But unless you were there that day you have no idea what the hell went on. I work a block away from ground zero and the things I saw that day I will take to the grave with me. It was heartbreaking to walk past all those people this morning that have lost someone special. I really wish and think that today should be a national holiday so people have a chance to grieve and reflect the way that they want to. 9/11/01 Don't forget.
Old 09-11-2007, 08:08 PM
Havre de Grace

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaTH716
Very nice storm cat, how very true. Our world changed that day. Those innocent people were murdered. We can't ever forget what happened that day. I hope we eventually get that bastard!

As far as the coverage went that day, it was unbelievable. But unless you were there that day you have no idea what the hell went on. I work a block away from ground zero and the things I saw that day I will take to the grave with me. It was heartbreaking to walk past all those people this morning that have lost someone special. I really wish and think that today should be a national holiday so people have a chance to grieve and reflect the way that they want to. 9/11/01 Don't forget.
Very true,MaTH! I don't think anyone can truly understand the horror of being there or during the aftermath in NYC! MMSC: beautiful words from a gracious lady!
Old 09-11-2007, 08:32 PM
Atlantic City Race Course

A company that lost 67 people in it has an evening reception/memorial every year at the Central Park Zoo (where I work)- there's a nice plaque with the names of the employees they lost in the central garden area. The atmosphere of the event gets slightly brighter each year as time heals things. They did a nice job with it this year- there were roses to lay at the plaque tonight and a bagpipe group played.

The thing I remember most in the days after is the smell of the rubble burning- you had to keep your face covered when you went outside. Whatever one's political leanings, you have to give credit to Clinton and Schumer and Maloney and the other Congresspeople pushing for $$ for the care of the rescue workers. If you can, take time to email your own Representatives and tell them the rescue workers who are now in ill health as a result of working there deserve to be taken care of. Regardless of whomever said the air was safe, it clearly wasn't, and these people deserve to be taken care of, seeing as how they sacrificed their health down there in the weeks and months afterwards. We can't bring back the dead, but we can care for the living who searched for them.
Old 09-11-2007, 08:49 PM
Flemington

Quote:
Originally Posted by GenuineRisk
A company that lost 67 people in it has an evening reception/memorial every year at the Central Park Zoo (where I work)- there's a nice plaque with the names of the employees they lost in the central garden area. The atmosphere of the event gets slightly brighter each year as time heals things. They did a nice job with it this year- there were roses to lay at the plaque tonight and a bagpipe group played.

The thing I remember most in the days after is the smell of the rubble burning- you had to keep your face covered when you went outside. Whatever one's political leanings, you have to give credit to Clinton and Schumer and Maloney and the other Congresspeople pushing for $$ for the care of the rescue workers. If you can, take time to email your own Representatives and tell them the rescue workers who are now in ill health as a result of working there deserve to be taken care of. Regardless of whomever said the air was safe, it clearly wasn't, and these people deserve to be taken care of, seeing as how they sacrificed their health down there in the weeks and months afterwards. We can't bring back the dead, but we can care for the living who searched for them.

You are 100% right. These people worked day and night trying to pull people out of meat grinder, without thinking of future consequences. They sacrificed many days of thier lives trying to help, save and recover people. They are the brave ones and they should not have to make the ultimate sacrifice. They should be taken care of. This country has no problem throwing money around. They should make sure that anyone who was helping on the pile and has became ill is taken care of.
Old 09-12-2007, 03:48 AM
Flemington

Quote:
Originally Posted by my miss storm cat
Life as we knew it ended, in a sense, on September 10th, 2001.

Whether we felt safe or not wasn't a question, it wasn't an issue, it was just what was. It was life and like many good things, we took it for granted.

We didn't know. We didn't know.

Horrific images of events so unimaginable are burned into our collective memory and the traces and memories of fear, of profound sorrow and of pure outrage exist and always will.
How did you know that was the day someone stole my Romance of the Three Kingdoms 6 Play Station game from my house?