Derby Trail Forums

Go Back   Derby Trail Forums > Sports Bar & Grill
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 10-22-2006, 03:33 PM
Washington Park

Default Great NFL OT...

Perhaps teh most foolish scenario of any major pro sports. Would hate to see such a great game (Pit, Atl) end without one of the offenses touching the ball...

Edit : And Atlanta wins the toss...****

I cant believe what a bunch of nerds we are. We're looking up money laundering in the dictionary.

www.myspace.com/dustinfabian
Old 10-22-2006, 03:44 PM
Washington Park

Here comes Morten Anderson from 32 yards. Steelers will have never touched the ball...

I cant believe what a bunch of nerds we are. We're looking up money laundering in the dictionary.

Old 10-22-2006, 03:48 PM
Washington Park

Complete and utter bull**** . Complete bull****. How a game can be decided like this, I have no idea. Like having penalty shots in hockey with the first guy to score's team winning. Or if a team in baseball scores in the top of the 11th, the team doesnt get to bat in the bottom of the 11th. Its unbelievable...

Old 10-22-2006, 05:25 PM
Havre de Grace

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1st_Saturday_in_May
Complete and utter bull**** . Complete bull****. How a game can be decided like this, I have no idea. Like having penalty shots in hockey with the first guy to score's team winning. Or if a team in baseball scores in the top of the 11th, the team doesnt get to bat in the bottom of the 11th. Its unbelievable...
Yeah 1st..that sucks bigtime! They should do it like the college game...it really makes you wonder about this short-sighted OT thing!
Old 10-22-2006, 05:32 PM
Hialeah Park

Quote:
Get a defense that can actually make a stop and you win easily. If you let them march down your face and kick a field goal you deserve to lose.
Old 10-22-2006, 05:40 PM
Havre de Grace

Quote:
Originally Posted by SniperSB23
Get a defense that can actually make a stop and you win easily. If you let them march down your face and kick a field goal you deserve to lose.
That's hardly the point,Sniper! The Steelers sucked, but it's an inequal playing field with the rule like that one.
Old 10-22-2006, 05:43 PM
Washington Park

Quote:
Originally Posted by SniperSB23
Sniper you may deserve to lose, but you also should deserve the opportunity to win. No sporting event should be decided on the flip of a coin. 30% of the time the team that wins the toss takes the ball down the field and scores. Thats sad, it really is. You put these guys on a field for 60 minutes, they leave all they've got there, and you 3 out of 10 times you decide the outcome on a coin flip? Why not give each team the ball on the 30 - with 70 yards ahead of them - and go from there. Play until one team scores and the other doesnt. The current rules just dont make any sense. No other sport ends like this, not one, and theres a reason for that.

Old 10-22-2006, 05:43 PM
Hawthorne

Sounds like a sore loser to me. I bet if the Steelers won the toss we would have never heard this.
Old 10-22-2006, 05:45 PM
Havre de Grace

Actually,Rev, you probably would have heard it from someone! It's a bad rule.
Old 10-22-2006, 05:46 PM
Hialeah Park

Quote:
Originally Posted by timmgirvan
That's hardly the point,Sniper! The Steelers sucked, but it's an inequal playing field with the rule like that one.
It's just a rule that benefits the team with a better defense. I don't know the official stat but the team that gets the ball first in OT only wins at a little better than a 50% clip. What is next? If one team gets 18 possessions in a game and the other gets 17 should we extend the game so it is fair? Fact is an NFL team gets 60 minutes to win the game. If you can't get it done in those 60 minutes and lose the coin toss in OT your defense needs to make a stop. If it can't then you deserve to lose. Your defense forces 3 and out and you get a short field to march down for the win.
Old 10-22-2006, 05:49 PM
Washington Park

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revolution
Sounds like a sore loser to me. I bet if the Steelers won the toss we would have never heard this.
I've been saying since day 1 that the rule is garbage. Sure it sucks more now that it hurt the Steelers today, but had they won I would still hate it. Also notice that the thread was started just before the coin toss, so I didnt know who was getting the ball and I hated it. Edited just after the coin toss to say that Atl won the toss.

Old 10-22-2006, 05:49 PM
Hialeah Park

Quote:
Sniper you may deserve to lose, but you also should deserve the opportunity to win. No sporting event should be decided on the flip of a coin. 30% of the time the team that wins the toss takes the ball down the field and scores. Thats sad, it really is. You put these guys on a field for 60 minutes, they leave all they've got there, and you 3 out of 10 times you decide the outcome on a coin flip? Why not give each team the ball on the 30 - with 70 yards ahead of them - and go from there. Play until one team scores and the other doesnt. The current rules just dont make any sense. No other sport ends like this, not one, and theres a reason for that.
So 30% of the time they take the ball down and score. If you force 3 and out you only need one or two first downs to kick the field goal and win. I'm sure that happens at close to a 30% clip as well.

I like your idea of giving the teams the ball at their own 30 better than the college system but I actually prefer the current system to both.
Old 10-22-2006, 06:51 PM
Sheepshead Bay

I think it's a dumb rule...

I wouldn't get too upset 1st, the Bengals got hosed last week, it happens...

I don't think the Steelers are out of it, the Ravens look like they are in panic mode by firing their O Coordinator and even though the Bengals won today, they are still not clicking...
Old 10-22-2006, 07:12 PM
Havre de Grace

It's a long season, and parity is RAMPANT
Old 10-23-2006, 10:09 AM
Atlantic City Race Course

Quote:
Originally Posted by timmgirvan
It's a long season, and parity is RAMPANT
I never liked the sudden death rule either, perhaps the best thing would be to play one extra quarter, if still tied then it goes down as a tie. That would keep it like the rest of the game!