Derby Trail Forums

Go Back   Derby Trail Forums > Main Forum > The Paddock
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 11-02-2014, 10:23 AM
Oriental Park

Just bad racing luck for Shared Belief and Moreno, it happens.

They dont dq for gate infractions, dont see why they should have yesterday.

I think CC deserves the eclipse for 3yo, he was running and winning when the races meant the most in the middle of the year, he got beat a half length yesterday. He did more and the last thing we need to do is promote skipping the early part of the years biggest three year old races (I know Bayern was on the trail but was not good enough yet, got dusted in the preakness, travers).
Old 11-02-2014, 12:19 PM
Hialeah Park

No I'm not bitter.....

IMG_20141102_100327_666.jpg
Old 11-02-2014, 12:27 PM
Churchill Downs

Quote:
Originally Posted by 10 pnt move up View Post
Just bad racing luck for Shared Belief and Moreno, it happens.

They dont dq for gate infractions, dont see why they should have yesterday.
It wasn't always that way. Take a look at the DQ of Sky Beauty from the 1992 Spinaway ( for considerably less than what Bayern did yesterday): http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=G5AvhGhzcGo.
Old 11-02-2014, 12:30 PM
Oriental Park

Quote:
Originally Posted by geeker2 View Post
No I'm not bitter.....

Attachment 2437
OUCH!!!!!! Man that's tough and to think it would have cost you little to capture a fantastic pay day if ya only had faith in Baffert . . . OUCH again big time.
Old 11-02-2014, 01:04 PM
Dee Tee Stables

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocknrowl View Post
I rarely post here, but this subject has me fired up. I did cash on the race, but a DQ of Bayern would have been even better for me.

I don't understand how anyone can think Matin Garcia did anything wrong. Bayern broke in and Garcia was trying to pull him back to the left.

I also think you could make a case that Toast of NY interfered with Moreno and Sharred Belief as much as Bayern did. Moreno was sitting 3rd until Toast made his move in causing Moreno to be taken up thus causing SB to check.

In the end I think it was a good no call.
whether intentional or no, the horse impeded several others. he should have been dq'd.
ironic that the guy kvetching about game on dude never being allowed to run his race wins with a front runner who mugged his early speed rivals, thus getting the lead and the race all to himself.
Old 11-02-2014, 01:06 PM
Hialeah Park

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonGuido View Post
OUCH!!!!!! Man that's tough and to think it would have cost you little to capture a fantastic pay day if ya only had faith in Baffert . . . OUCH again big time.
Saver

bayern.jpg
Old 11-02-2014, 05:18 PM
helicopter11

Quote:
No I'm not bitter.....

Attachment 2437
Which bridge are you at right now?

Props for singling that #14 horse in the Turf. I hope you bet him to win.
Old 11-02-2014, 05:32 PM
Hialeah Park

Quote:
Originally Posted by helicopter11 View Post
Which bridge are you at right now?

Props for singling that #14 horse in the Turf. I hope you bet him to win.
20WPS
Old 11-02-2014, 07:15 PM
helicopter11

Quote:
20WPS
Nice!!
Old 11-02-2014, 09:32 PM
Jerome Park

Default Dear CHRB

"Dear California Horse Racing Board,

While your stewards failed to find the causality in the chain reaction of one horse crashing into several others during the start of North America’s richest race – the Breeders’ Cup Classic – their inexplicable inaction certainly will have an affect on the sport you’re supposed to watch guard. But since you have already failed miserably at calculating how bettors, the lifeblood of Thoroughbred racing, are already leaving in droves or betting far less, I guess no one should be surprised by your widespread ineptitude."

http://www.horseracingnation.com/blo...isgraceful_123
Old 11-03-2014, 07:52 AM
Havre de Grace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arletta View Post
"Dear California Horse Racing Board,

While your stewards failed to find the causality in the chain reaction of one horse crashing into several others during the start of North America’s richest race – the Breeders’ Cup Classic – their inexplicable inaction certainly will have an affect on the sport you’re supposed to watch guard. But since you have already failed miserably at calculating how bettors, the lifeblood of Thoroughbred racing, are already leaving in droves or betting far less, I guess no one should be surprised by your widespread ineptitude."

http://www.horseracingnation.com/blo...isgraceful_123
Laura - I firmly believe that stewards should be appointed from a non jurisdctional pool of the best stewards nominated by the BC, so there is no taint possible from home town stewards who all agree that their local trainers not at fault. Would the Super bowl or World series have "homer" officials chosen to officiate. ? There should be no question of possible taint, which has occurred in this case. PERIOD.

Blaise Pascal
Old 11-03-2014, 09:20 AM
Oriental Park

Quote:
Originally Posted by parsixfarms View Post
It wasn't always that way. Take a look at the DQ of Sky Beauty from the 1992 Spinaway ( for considerably less than what Bayern did yesterday): http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=G5AvhGhzcGo.
I think they used to call it more as a "foul is a foul" back then, I could be wrong I just started watching it.

Its pretty hard to use one example 20 years ago as any justification in a decision today.
Old 11-03-2014, 10:09 AM
Randwyck

The Stewards should be graded throughout the year just like in the NFL and MLB, then top 5 stewards are picked to work the Breeders Cup.
Old 11-03-2014, 10:13 AM
Dee Tee Stables

Quote:
Originally Posted by gamblin4ever View Post
The Stewards should be graded throughout the year just like in the NFL and MLB, then top 5 stewards are picked to work the Breeders Cup.
Old 11-03-2014, 10:16 AM
Dee Tee Stables

http://www.bloodhorse.com/horse-raci...om-bayerns-win

now, it's 'racing luck'. that's not what he said about GOD earlier.
does anyone think that part of why he told the owners to retire GOD was so he didn't have two horses with the same running style in the classic? i don't know how trainers juggle top horses from different owners anyway.
Old 11-03-2014, 10:36 AM
Oriental Park

Going to be interesting in Dubai as both horses are being pointed there.
Old 11-03-2014, 10:42 AM
Oriental Park

I heard there were quite a few boos when Bayern came back to the winners circle.
Old 11-03-2014, 11:07 AM
Churchill Downs

Am I the only one who believes Toast of NY slammed the door down on several a few hundred yards up the track?

I think that 99% arguing for and against (including me) are transparent in their position. Bayern closed my Pick 3 and I didn't have TONY anywhere, so I think they got it right. Those with TONY are furious about the non-call and don't acknowledge he cause some trouble himself. The Shared Believe and Chrome crowds are looking for a way to move their guy up, but it just wasn't the day.

No matter who you bet, and therefore support, there is no denying that Bayern ran his tail off in victory and the horse earned the win.
Old 11-03-2014, 11:40 AM
Hialeah Park

from DRF....

BAYERN broke inward bumping SHARED BELIEF and also forcing that rival into MORENO, cleared after a sixteenth of a
mile and was guided to the rail, set the pace under a light hold, was called upon leaving the five sixteenths marker, met oncoming
challenges from TOAST OF NEW YORK and CALIFORNIA CHROME near the sixteenth marker, wandered outward a bit under left
handed rousing and dug in gamely to prevail by the slimmest of margins. TOAST OF NEW YORK angled over soon after the break
putting SHARED BELIEF in close quarters and bumping MORENO, straightened and stalked the winner just out from the inside,
ranged up outside that one heading towards the sixteenth pole, continued gamely between rivals and just missed. CALIFORNIA
CHROME settled in range three wide, came under a drive leaving the far turn, steadilly progressed into the stretch, loomed boldy
past the sixteenth marker, drifted out from left handed urging nearing the wire and kept on willingly. SHARED BELIEF bobbled
and forced into MORENO by the winner at the break, steadied when put close soon after, checked off heels when angling for room
nearing the wire the first time, raced four wide into the clubhouse turn, dropped in a path while in range down the backstretch, gave
hard pursuit into the lane but failed to overcome his early adversity. TONALIST dropped off the early pace while removed from the
rail, came under pressure the final turn, angled five to six wide for the drive and found his best too late. CANDY BOY settled off the
rail, raced between foes nearing the far turn angled out and gained some five wide nearing the quarter pole but failed to sustain
his run through the final furlong. CIGAR STREET saved ground stalking the pace, edged closer nearing the half mile pole, came
under a ride three furlongs out, angled out nearing the stretch and weakened. ZIVO lacked speed while saving some ground early
on, came off the inside for the run around the final turn, shifted six wide in upper stretch, had belated interest without threatening.
IMPERATIVE , pinched back at the break, raced three wide off the early pace, moved forward past the half mile pole, angled to the
rail continuing a run, angled out pursuing in upper stretch but failed to sustain. FOOTBRIDGE was guided inward soon after the
start, made it to the rail mid way on the first turn, gained under a ride past the three eighths pole, continued inside into the lane
then one paced in the last eighth. V. E. DAY broke slowly then was squeezed, angled to the rail and dropped well off the pace, was
called upon around the far turn, swung wide entering the lane but failed to menace. PRAYER FOR RELIEF saved ground most of
the way while not making an impact. MAJESTIC HARBOR , five wide into the first turn, stayed removed from the rail into the far
turn, was pushed along between runners nearing the stretch and lacked a bid. MORENO was slammed in the jam up at the break,
bumped with TOAST OF NEW YORK when that one came inward in the opening furlong, steadied along when rank behind foes,
continued difficult to settle past the three quarter pole, came under pressure chasing off the rail into the far turn, steadily retreated
from there and was eased in the final furlong.
Old 11-03-2014, 11:57 AM
Goodwood

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thunder Gulch View Post
Am I the only one who believes Toast of NY slammed the door down on several a few hundred yards up the track?

I think that 99% arguing for and against (including me) are transparent in their position. Bayern closed my Pick 3 and I didn't have TONY anywhere, so I think they got it right. Those with TONY are furious about the non-call and don't acknowledge he cause some trouble himself. The Shared Believe and Chrome crowds are looking for a way to move their guy up, but it just wasn't the day.

No matter who you bet, and therefore support, there is no denying that Bayern ran his tail off in victory and the horse earned the win.
I agree that Toast interfered badly, perhaps even worse than Bayern. That may have been a chain reaction though.

Bayern did anything but earn his win. He needed two things to happen in the race to win, and they both did. He needed Moreno to not show speed, and then he needed nobody to collar him around the 3/8ths pole.