Derby Trail Forums

Go Back   Derby Trail Forums > Main Forum > The Paddock
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 08-25-2013, 09:21 PM
Aqueduct

Default Pacific Classic Official time vs trakus

Official Time 2:00.69
Trakus 1:59.26

Big difference anyone have an opinion on Why ???
Looked at the rest of the races and they were all within Reason.

Plus if you go by Trakus 1:59.26 is a track Record.
Old 08-25-2013, 11:04 PM
Santa Anita

Interesting...curious what Trakus will have to say on this.
Old 08-25-2013, 11:14 PM
Santa Anita

Most of the difference occurs in the first 1/4 mile of the race.
Old 08-26-2013, 09:27 AM
Santa Anita

It is VERY tough to tell (due to the camera angle) where the timing starts, but I did my best using the 45 foot run up listed in the charts. Using the timer on the replay, I get the 1/4 mile at somewhere between 22 and 23 seconds.

What is interesting is that just using the break from the gate to start the timing, I get just a tad over 24 seconds, which is the reported time. It seems to me this race was timed from the gate.

So, I went back and timed last years race from the gate, a race which also had the run up listed at 45 feet. I got the time from the gate at dead on 25 seconds, and the 1/4 was reported in 23.61, or a difference 1.39. That is very close to the difference in the Equibase/Trakus times for both the 1/4 and the final time in 2013.

As one further check, I ran the videos simultaneously. I ran them for exactly 25 seconds from the instant the gate sprung. In 2013, Game On Dude is right on the finish line, while in 2012 Riveting Reason is leading and at the same point in time the finish line isn't even in the camera yet.

Clearly, to my mind, Trakus has this right and they cheated Game On Dude of a track record.

Last edited by cmorioles : 08-26-2013 at 09:44 AM.
Old 08-26-2013, 09:42 AM
Belmont Park

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmorioles View Post
It is VERY tough to tell (due to the camera angle) where the timing starts, but I did my best using the 45 foot run up listed in the charts. Using the timer on the replay, I get the 1/4 mile at somewhere between 22 and 23 seconds.

What is interesting is that just using the break from the gate to start the timing, I get just a tad over 24 seconds, which is the reported time. It seems to me this race was timed from the gate.

So, I went back and timed last years race from the gate, a race which also had the run up listed at 45 feet. I got the time from the gate at dead on 25 seconds, and the 1/4 was reported in 23.61, or a difference 1.39. That is very close to the difference in the Equibase/Trakus times for both the 1/4 and the final time in 2013.

As one further check, I ran the videos simultaneously. I ran them for exactly 25 seconds from the instant the gate sprung. In 2013, Game On Dude is right on the finish line line, while in 2012 Riveting Reason is leading and at the same point in time the finish line isn't even in the camera yet.

Clearly, to my mind, Trakus has this right and they cheated Game On Dude of a track record.
Just another example of how ridiculous racing's procedures are..Will we be having these same issues in 2023?
Old 08-26-2013, 10:03 AM
Oriental Park

Wow, given the pace he set then this has to be one of the better efforts at 10 furlongs in the past couple decades.
Old 08-26-2013, 10:05 AM
Dee Tee Stables

Quote:

As one further check, I ran the videos simultaneously. I ran them for exactly 25 seconds from the instant the gate sprung. In 2013, Game On Dude is right on the finish line, while in 2012 Riveting Reason is leading and at the same point in time the finish line isn't even in the camera yet.

i figured it had to do with when each began timing.
it's the 21st century, with all our modern technology you'd think a horse race time could be done properly.
Old 08-26-2013, 10:16 AM
Santa Anita

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danzig View Post
i figured it had to do with when each began timing.
it's the 21st century, with all our modern technology you'd think a horse race time could be done properly.
It really is scary. I catch bad times every day all around the country, and probably miss as many as I catch. But a G1, million dollar race? That is pathetic.
Old 08-26-2013, 10:18 AM
Pimlico

From a non "time" perspective, it seems logical GOD ran a very big race. The horses behind him aren't world beaters, but they are solid older Grade 2 (Kettle Corn) or Grade 3 stakes horses. So it almost had to be a solid Grade 1 level performance or better unless you think an entire field ran subpar. IMO, the official time has to be wrong.

Last edited by classhandicapper : 08-26-2013 at 10:29 AM.
Old 08-26-2013, 10:20 AM
Santa Anita

Quote:
Originally Posted by classhandicapper View Post
In fact, it lends support to the idea the race was mistimed. I suspect Beyer will change it.
I'm probably his biggest fan, but that is embarrassing. How can he not change it?
Old 08-26-2013, 10:31 AM
Dee Tee Stables

Quote:
It really is scary. I catch bad times every day all around the country, and probably miss as many as I catch. But a G1, million dollar race? That is pathetic.
doug's posts on EVD 'timing' has put me off wanting to go there. it's ridiculous. no excuse for it. and to have trakus, and still not get it right. it's just crazy.
Old 08-26-2013, 10:42 AM
Oriental Park

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danzig View Post
doug's posts on EVD 'timing' has put me off wanting to go there. it's ridiculous. no excuse for it. and to have trakus, and still not get it right. it's just crazy.
does EVD have trakus?

It seems in this case Trakus has it right and has found a human error.
Old 08-26-2013, 10:49 AM
Santa Anita

Quote:
Originally Posted by 10 pnt move up View Post
does EVD have trakus?

It seems in this case Trakus has it right and has found a human error.
EvD does not have Trakus, but the errors are definitely human. It is unfathomable how bad the person that operates the timer there is. Further, we've pointed it out to the track and Equibase, and they don't care.

The one I liked best was the photo Doug sent me of a horse about three or four strides from the wire and the final time was already displayed...and that same time appeared in the official chart.
Old 08-26-2013, 10:52 AM
Oriental Park

Its just another sad case that the tracks don't have much care for the player, I am sure Equibase relies on the track data, you go to the effort to make them aware but I am sure two guys (gals) in an office look at it from a whats in it for us to care about this.
Old 08-26-2013, 10:55 AM
Pimlico

Quote:
I'm probably his biggest fan, but that is embarrassing. How can he not change it?
I think as soon as various figure makers find out about the timing issue they will correct their figures.

But even without knowing the timing issue, it's hard to look at that field, watch that race, and conclude GOD ran a mediocre race. Without that information I would have broken the race out and assumed something flukey happened.
Old 08-26-2013, 11:01 AM
Idlewild Airport

My GPS once took me into the Atlantic Ocean, no joke. I will take the official time.
Old 08-26-2013, 11:04 AM
Santa Anita

Quote:
Originally Posted by 10 pnt move up View Post
Its just another sad case that the tracks don't have much care for the player, I am sure Equibase relies on the track data, you go to the effort to make them aware but I am sure two guys (gals) in an office look at it from a whats in it for us to care about this.
I've dealt with Equibase a lot these last few years, and they really do try to help. The tracks themselves, not so much.
Old 08-26-2013, 11:05 AM
Santa Anita

Quote:
Originally Posted by classhandicapper View Post
I think as soon as various figure makers find out about the timing issue they will correct their figures.

But even without knowing the timing issue, it's hard to look at that field, watch that race, and conclude GOD ran a mediocre race. Without that information I would have broken the race out and assumed something flukey happened.
Exactly, which is what I had done initially. How anyone could watch that race and give the equivalent of a G3 or so to the winner and a weak allowance figure to the runner up is beyond my comprehension.
Old 08-26-2013, 11:06 AM
Santa Anita

Quote:
Originally Posted by randallscott35 View Post
My GPS once took me into the Atlantic Ocean, no joke. I will take the official time.
The GPS knew exactly where you were, the maps were wrong.
Old 08-26-2013, 11:17 AM
Aqueduct

Quote:

Good Stuff CM Help Me out here I am a Little Confused When You hand timed The 2013 PC from the gate you were right at 24 the official time was 24.19 with trakus being 22.91. In the 2012 PC you hand time the 1st 1/4 from the Gate at 25 and the official time was 23.61. here were I am Confused wouldn't the 2012 PC take in Account the 45ft run were the 2013 PC did not. Is there a way to Know what the 2012 1st 1/4 was with Trakus

Thanks

Bad question I Just figured it Out what you were Sayingf DUH!!!!!!