Derby Trail Forums

Go Back   Derby Trail Forums > Main Forum > The Paddock
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 05-06-2012, 02:56 PM
Cahokia Downs

No way Bode runs in 2 weeks.

Also, if it were'nt for the injury to Take Charge Indy all of the talk would be that Bode ran a nice 3rd... Borel had him set up perfectly!!!
Old 05-06-2012, 03:06 PM
Santa Anita

Quote:
Originally Posted by NTamm1215 View Post
This notion that because Mike Smith says he was within himself means that Trinniberg not being there wouldn't have mattered is NONSENSE.

If Trinniberg is not in the race, Bodemeister does not have to go 45 and 1/5 to get a clear lead, and he doesn't have to shade 1:10 to stay in front. Take Trinniberg out and he would have had a comfortable lead over Hansen going a bit slower at each point of call.

When speed horses get clear leads, that does not mean that they suddenly lose any excuse for losing. Using that ridiculously flawed logic, you will hold losing against a speed horse with complete disregard for the pace they set.
that's your narrative and that's fine. I have a different one. You act like if Trinniberg isn't in the race you have a 100 percent clear idea of what happens in that race. You simply have your opinion that's all. My opinion is that Bodemeister likely sets a fast pace in that race regardless of the other animals. I think it's just as likely to opine that the reason Hansen was going slower was the fact that Trinniberg was in the race. Bodemeister lost to Creative Cause when not on the lead and rank and challenged. He set a very fast pace in Arkansas and blew them out. He did the same thing yesterday and beat Creative Cause. Perhaps it was a tad fast, I don't know. He beat 18 horses.

Tell me how slow Bodemeister's pace was in Arkansas again. It wasn't. My opinion is if Smith strangles the life out of the horse to let Trinniberg get a clear lead is useless. The horse is fast, he set very fast fractions in Arkansas. Of course the pace affected him...it was the pace, not Trinniberg that affected him. I simply cannot concede that everyone here knows so much that they are 100 percent sure what he runs pace wise if Trinniberg isn't there. I dont' believe any of you. the horse is fast.
Old 05-06-2012, 03:11 PM
Ellis Park

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichiganMattA View Post

Also, if it were'nt for the injury to Take Charge Indy all of the talk would be that Bode ran a nice 3rd... Borel had him set up perfectly!!!

Funny stuff, i needed a laugh.
Old 05-06-2012, 03:12 PM
Washington Park

Quote:

Take Charge Indy will be lucky if he wins a minor stake the rest of his career. Everyone needs to get over his perfect setup in a week florida derby.
Old 05-06-2012, 03:23 PM
Saratoga

Quote:

You mean Borel was going to pull out his magic wand and bring him to the promised land? Part of me wants people to realize what Borel really is, but I really do prefer people dumping money on a below average jockey with an unwarranted above average reputation.
Old 05-06-2012, 05:26 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by horseofcourse View Post
You act like if Trinniberg isn't in the race you have a 100 percent clear idea of what happens in that race.
Bodemeister set a very slow pace on the lead in his win 3 starts back. He's not a run-off.

Mike Smith threw crosses at him coming out of the gate and sent him -- Trinniberg was under a hammerlock hold -- and they still ran head and head through a 22 1/5th opening quarter.

Anyone who thinks Bodemeister wouldn't have romped without Trinniberg in the race is seriously and has a very poor understanding of very, very, very basic handicapping.
Old 05-06-2012, 05:33 PM
Hialeah Park

Who's to say that w/o Trinniberg in the race, that M. Smith wouldnt've tried to harness Bodemeister on the front end with slower fractions, knowing he'd still be clear with the half in let's say 47 n change??
Old 05-06-2012, 05:46 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by declansharbor View Post
Who's to say that w/o Trinniberg in the race, that M. Smith wouldnt've tried to harness Bodemeister on the front end with slower fractions, knowing he'd still be clear with the half in let's say 47 n change??
Bodemeister would have been loose on an unpressured lead and just been on cruise control with no one eye-balling him or breathing on him.

Without Trinniberg in the race, Bodemeister would have won by at least 5 lengths and done so under no urging at all. I can't believe anyone could have even a morsel of doubt about that.

If you do, for starters, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ga_hw...feature=relmfu
Old 05-06-2012, 06:01 PM
Hialeah Park

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calzone Lord View Post
Bodemeister would have been loose on an unpressured lead and just been on cruise control with no one eye-balling him or breathing on him.

Without Trinniberg in the race, Bodemeister would have won by at least 5 lengths and done so under no urging at all. I can't believe anyone could have even a morsel of doubt about that.

If you do, for starters, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ga_hw...feature=relmfu
I actually agree with you that he would've won with ease w/o Trinniberg.

I'm just saying that it is not out of the realm of possibility that M Smith would've looked back and seen Hansen & TCI so far behind his mount that he would maybe feel his horse was running off and that he would feel the need to pull on the reigns in the backstretch to save some gas for that extra furlong.

Monday morning quarterback stuff, i know. Just a question i was running through my head earlier is all. I see both sides of the 'argument'.
Old 05-06-2012, 06:11 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by declansharbor View Post
I actually agree with you that he would've won with ease w/o Trinniberg.

I'm just saying that it is not out of the realm of possibility that M Smith would've looked back and seen Hansen & TCI so far behind his mount that he would maybe feel his horse was running off and that he would feel the need to pull on the reigns in the backstretch to save some gas for that extra furlong.

Monday morning quarterback stuff, i know. Just a question i was running through my head earlier is all. I see both sides of the 'argument'.
Horses like Bodemeister, Trinniberg, and Hansen are super competitive speed horses.

They are too gallant and competitive to willingly let other horses run in front of them.

When they do get an unpressured early lead -- they simply relax and run peak performances.

Bodemeister could go 49 on the lead as long as he doesn't have to work hard for it and isn't being challenged for it.

Watch the four meetings between Dr. Fager and Damascus.

Dr. Fager easily beats Damascus in the first and third meeting -- both times when Damascus had no rabbit. Damascus beat the piss out of Dr. Fager in the 2nd and 4th meeting ... both times when he had a rabbit spritner entered.