Derby Trail Forums

Go Back   Derby Trail Forums > Main Forum > The Paddock
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 11-21-2011, 09:51 PM
Flemington

Now the trainer wants to retire him on top. Holy ****, on top of what?
Old 11-21-2011, 09:53 PM
Sha Tin

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3kings View Post
I read where the owner didn't want to ship him. Going for 20 in a calandar year.
Starter race a Parx on the 3rd he fits
Old 11-21-2011, 09:54 PM
Flemington

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockHardTen1985 View Post
I know thats the point Im making. Not only would he have not had a chance to win against NY breds, but I think he would have finished last. I think this entire thing is a joke. Somehow its the main thing on drf.com for the last 3 days. I know a lot of people feel 1 way or the other about Zenyatta but she won a BC Classic and Ladies Classic and finished second in another BC Classic. RR is not in that world, not in that universe. It really is a shame IMO that a starter allowance horse has this record. This record should be held by an old throwback war horse, a G1 caliber horse. Hell even Zenyatta instead of RR.
He's a hell of a lot closer to a throwback warhorse than Zenyatta.
Old 11-21-2011, 09:55 PM
Flemington

Quote:
I know thats the point Im making. I think this entire thing is a joke. Somehow its the main thing on drf.com for the last 3 days. I know a lot of people feel 1 way or the other about Zenyatta but she won a BC Classic and Ladies Classic and finished second in another BC Classic. RR is not in that world, not in that universe. It really is a shame IMO that a starter allowance horse has this record. This record should be held by an old throwback war horse, a G1 caliber horse. Hell even Zenyatta instead of RR.
Joseph there's nothing else going on. The BC is over, it's the end of the year and it's a Monday, what else should the DRF talk about/be covering? So he won 20 in a row, great, nice story. No one is saying that he's better than Zenyatta because he broke the streak. The only thing that he definitely accomplished tonight is that he'll probably be an answer on Jeopardy somewhere down the road.
Old 11-21-2011, 09:57 PM
Randwyck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cannon Shell View Post
Starter race a Parx on the 3rd he fits
No shot of him going there
Old 11-21-2011, 10:00 PM
Sha Tin

Quote:
I know thats the point Im making. Not only would he have not had a chance to win against NY breds, but I think he would have finished last. I think this entire thing is a joke. Somehow its the main thing on drf.com for the last 3 days. I know a lot of people feel 1 way or the other about Zenyatta but she won a BC Classic and Ladies Classic and finished second in another BC Classic. RR is not in that world, not in that universe. It really is a shame IMO that a starter allowance horse has this record. This record should be held by an old throwback war horse, a G1 caliber horse. Hell even Zenyatta instead of RR.
Win streaks need to be taken into context of the competition. They arent really records, they are novelties. But at least Zenyatta was running in graded stakes company even if it was usually pretty weak graded company. RR is a nice story but he is running in races now that seem to be created for him to win. To his credit he has won a distances from 5f to 1 1/8.
Old 11-21-2011, 10:05 PM
Sha Tin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duvalier View Post
No shot of him going there
Probably not. Laurel Dec 1 1 1/8 starter 5k.
Old 11-21-2011, 10:09 PM
Ellis Park

Quote:
Big cards at Woodbine Harness and Penn National. Couldnt fit it in
I havent seen Mountaineer on TVG in a while....but thats pretty bad they didnt show it tonight.....even just the one race.....
Old 11-21-2011, 10:33 PM
Oriental Park

Quote:
Originally Posted by lemoncrush View Post
So TVG isn't showing Mountaineer tonight? Why the he'll not? Is it a contractual issue? Not on HRTV either. Ridiculous.
TVG and HRTV have always been pro-Zenyatta. It's the old payola scam in reverse.

You know Jerry Moss used to be big in the American music industry, right?
Old 11-22-2011, 05:28 AM
Dee Tee Stables

Quote:
of course he hasn't got the same talent level. but the big thing zenyatta had going for her was the streak-this ought to show that isn't enough for hall of fame inclusion. of course her sharing the streak with pepper's pride should have shown that.
he's in where he belongs, and keeps winning. nothing wrong with that.
it's not a shame he holds it; the shame is that people put so much emphasis on her doing that, while paying no attention to the fact that a supposed top horse took that many years to compile 20 starts. that's the shame. this horse did it in one year.
Old 11-22-2011, 05:54 AM
Belmont Park

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danzig View Post
of course he hasn't got the same talent level. but the big thing zenyatta had going for her was the streak-this ought to show that isn't enough for hall of fame inclusion. of course her sharing the streak with pepper's pride should have shown that.
he's in where he belongs, and keeps winning. nothing wrong with that.
it's not a shame he holds it; the shame is that people put so much emphasis on her doing that, while paying no attention to the fact that a supposed top horse took that many years to compile 20 starts. that's the shame. this horse did it in one year.
I think this misses the point that Chuck and PG are trying to make entirely. I'm not discrediting the accomplishment, but it needs to be taken in it's proper context. He had the distinct pleasure of enjoying this condition for a calendar year. It was a complete an utter anomaly that a horse with this talent (that of about a 25-30k claimer) was put in for 5k, and as a result, got to beat up on short fields of 5k claimers in nothing more than published workouts for the calendar year. To his credit, he did it at just about every distance they write, and was flawless in doing so.

If you think Robert Cole is interested in the "well being" of this amazing talent, I'd suggest you check his history. He ran this horse every opportunity he had, and, if we're being honest, didn't need to put forth much effort at all to win them. He simply towered over his competition for a year because he was a 25k horse that ran 5k races. Nothing super sporting about that - in context.

If he retires (and that's what I've read) it is because he no longer has this advantage come Jan 1st., and will now have to face the reality of being an medium level claiming type on the mid-Atlantic circuit.

Real races, that actually take a toll and require time off between them.
Old 11-22-2011, 07:39 AM
Sunshine Park

Default RR

Rudeboy you are correct sir. Cole is not the nicest considerate human I have ever met, he is in it for the Money. Not that there is anything wrong with that. But the health and welfare of RR is last on his list of considerations IMHO.
Old 11-22-2011, 07:43 AM
5'8".. but all man!

Quote:
The announcer should be shot.
Stop it. Mr. Berry is as good as they come. He's a member of this board. Perhaps you should tell him that personally.
Old 11-22-2011, 08:24 AM
Randwyck

Quote:
The announcer should be shot.
Shouldn't this warrant a ban? I mean, really?

I thought the call was completely appropriate - 20 wins is 20 wins, and I don't think Peter could've done any better job than to say what he said...with all due respect to Zenyatta and Peppers Pride, the record DOES belong to this horse, fact is fact.
Old 11-22-2011, 08:40 AM
Saratoga

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatCummings View Post
Shouldn't this warrant a ban? I mean, really?

I thought the call was completely appropriate - 20 wins is 20 wins, and I don't think Peter could've done any better job than to say what he said...with all due respect to Zenyatta and Peppers Pride, the record DOES belong to this horse, fact is fact.
A "Ban" ? Really?!?!? Maybe someone who takes this **** so ****ing seriously that they would even suggest a "Ban" should be banned for not having a life. Do you for 1 nanosecond thing that he wishes the guy was REALLY SHOT?

Damar Hamlin
Old 11-22-2011, 08:50 AM
Santa Anita

Quote:
Important? This whole win streak thing is indicitive of the sport in 2011. Are horses suddenly great since all these winning streaks started a few years ago? How did horse racing make it through all those tough years without a yearly win streak record to fawn over? Beating plugs over and over again is a nice feat but hardly worthy of excessive mention.
Exactly, especially when the owner is basically handpicking the plugs he runs against. If there is one he doesn't like that might challenge him, the horse suddenly scratches. The scratches were VERY predictable the last 3 or 4 times this horse ran. Anyone think that is a coincedence?
Old 11-22-2011, 08:51 AM
Randwyck

Quote:
Originally Posted by jms62 View Post
A "Ban" ? Really?!?!? Maybe someone who takes this **** so ****ing seriously that they would even suggest a "Ban" should be banned for not having a life. Do you for 1 nanosecond thing that he wishes the guy was REALLY SHOT?
So everything is just a joke or a jab? I think people who say anyone should be shot are themselves off their rocker for joking about injuring or potentially killing someone. And maybe those who sympathize with them as well...you think I'm crazy, I think you're crazy.

You could have a conversation about the racecall if you wanted, but RHT's comment is inappropriate.
Old 11-22-2011, 09:27 AM
Pimlico

I've had some race calls after which I'd gladly have shot MYSELF. This was not one of those. I was more than happy with the call, trying to touch as many bases as possible, with "Everest in his veins" on the backstretch to some semblance of respect to Zenyatta and Pepper's Pride at the finish. The only thing I regret was getting a little caught up in the moment at the finish and forgetting to mention who ran second and third. Thirty lashes for that.
Old 11-22-2011, 09:34 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Berry View Post
"Everest in his veins"
David Wells syringe?
Old 11-22-2011, 09:40 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmorioles View Post
Exactly, especially when the owner is basically handpicking the plugs he runs against. If there is one he doesn't like that might challenge him, the horse suddenly scratches. The scratches were VERY predictable the last 3 or 4 times this horse ran. Anyone think that is a coincedence?
I would agree -- other than one pretty good for the level horse he beat twice at Charles Town -- and the Ness move-up at LRL -- he hasn't faced any true 5k starter alw types in his last several races of the streak.