Derby Trail Forums

Go Back   Derby Trail Forums > Main Forum > The Paddock
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 03-24-2011, 01:56 AM
Fairgrounds

Default Cutbacks at TVG

Mr. B and Kotulak have apparently let go.
Old 03-24-2011, 05:18 AM
Monmouth Park

Mr. B. should have been kept and let Rudolph go.
Old 03-24-2011, 06:59 AM
Flemington

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan07 View Post
Mr. B and Kotulak have apparently let go.
That's a shame about Mr.B, I liked him. On the other hand Kotulak was public enemy one for me, I personally thought that he brought absolutely nothing to the table on top of his grating personality.
Old 03-24-2011, 07:01 AM
Idlewild Airport

Mr. B was a chalk eating weasel.
Old 03-24-2011, 07:27 AM
Woodbine

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Indomitable DrugS View Post
Kotulak is the biggest chalk eating weasel to ever hold an analyst job in Horse Racing over at least the last 15 years.

MaTH is dead on.
you guys are right on........but i don't know about the worst chalk (second worst) eating weasel.....that ron guy at gulfstream is the king.....

Last edited by Kasept : 03-24-2011 at 08:58 AM.
Old 03-24-2011, 07:37 AM
Fairgrounds

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Devil View Post
Mr. B. should have been kept and let Rudolph go.
I'm not sure who they should have gotten rid of but Mr. B. wouldn't have been my choice. I really liked him. I thought he did a good job.
Old 03-24-2011, 07:41 AM
Fairgrounds

Rich Perloff is the only one there with an opinion worth much. The rest are basically empty suits. Of course, the best way to watch TVG has always been with the mute button on...

Paul
Old 03-24-2011, 07:51 AM
Hialeah Park

DrugS & Ken R. that's a show I would watch
Old 03-24-2011, 08:51 AM
Del Mar

Mr. B needed a bump or a couple of adderall. Not saying anything about his handicapping prowess. It was just painful listening to him that's all. Tough economy...i hope he finds a job.
Old 03-24-2011, 08:58 AM
Sheepshead Bay

If they had to make cuts, then Mr. B, Kotulak, and Stauffer made the most sense. Those 3 were the weakest links of the show. While some of the others they kept on are annoying, they bring on entertainment value.
Old 03-24-2011, 09:03 AM
Havre de Grace

I have given up on TVG. HRTV has far less exposure but their programming is 1000x better. I think their analysts are better and they at least talk about racing.

Great example was last Saturday. I had bet a race from Tampa and needed to click over to TVG to watch it. I leave HRTV where Gary Mandella and Scott Hazelton, who are both very much adequate are discussing a claiming race at OP to click over to TVG where the three hosts are talking about Broadway shows. This went on for better than 5 minutes. There was even a delay at the gate and it barely broke their stride.

I understand that you need some filler for a lot of air time but for crying out loud you had a field of 11 with an extremely vulnerable favorite at one of the three major tracks you actually broadcast and you offer hardly any analysis on the race?
Old 03-24-2011, 09:07 AM
Goodwood

Quote:
Originally Posted by stonegossard View Post
If they had to make cuts, then Mr. B, Kotulak, and Stauffer made the most sense. Those 3 were the weakest links of the show. While some of the others they kept on are annoying, they bring on entertainment value.
Perhaps, but Ken Rudolphs value as an unintentional entertainer wears thin really quick.
Old 03-24-2011, 09:27 AM
Sheepshead Bay

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indian Charlie View Post
Perhaps, but Ken Rudolphs value as an unintentional entertainer wears thin really quick.
Yeah...not saying I like Rudolph as he is a grade I jacka$$, but he stirs things up with his stupidity.
Old 03-24-2011, 09:32 AM
Atlantic City Race Course

Who watches TVG anymore anyway? Between Todd Schrupp and Ken Rudolph, I'm frequently left wanting to jump out a 7th floor window.
Old 03-24-2011, 09:32 AM
Idlewild Airport

Quote:
Originally Posted by slotdirt View Post
Who watches TVG anymore anyway? Between Todd Schrupp and Ken Rudolph, I'm frequently left wanting to jump out a 7th floor window.
If you live in a place where they don't offer HRTV, it is your only choice. Sucks.
Old 03-24-2011, 09:35 AM
Coach Pants

Rich Perloff could be the greatest handicapper on earth and he'd still be an unbearable, pompous douche.
Old 03-24-2011, 09:36 AM
Goodwood

Quote:
Originally Posted by NTamm1215 View Post
I have given up on TVG. HRTV has far less exposure but their programming is 1000x better. I think their analysts are better and they at least talk about racing.

Great example was last Saturday. I had bet a race from Tampa and needed to click over to TVG to watch it. I leave HRTV where Gary Mandella and Scott Hazelton, who are both very much adequate are discussing a claiming race at OP to click over to TVG where the three hosts are talking about Broadway shows. This went on for better than 5 minutes. There was even a delay at the gate and it barely broke their stride.

I understand that you need some filler for a lot of air time but for crying out loud you had a field of 11 with an extremely vulnerable favorite at one of the three major tracks you actually broadcast and you offer hardly any analysis on the race?
I usually mute both channels. HRTV has their share of sleep inducers too. I tend to keep the track feed up on my computer so I can hear the late scratches, jock changes and off the turf announcements. Both channels are woefully bad in letting their viewers know of these changes unless they showing that particular track when the changes take place.
Old 03-24-2011, 09:51 AM
Atlantic City Race Course

The problem I have with TVG is what was mentioned above. 92.8 percent of the "experts" have done little to no preparation for the races they'll be covering during the course of a show. I get that it might be hard to 'cap 50 races or whatever for a four hour show, but come on, at least read the form for like 1/4 of the tracks TVG will be broadcasting.
Old 03-24-2011, 10:19 AM
Saratoga

Quote:
Originally Posted by stonegossard View Post
Yeah...not saying I like Rudolph as he is a grade I jacka$$, but he stirs things up with his stupidity.
But some of the stuff he and Greg Wolf say makes you wonder about them though. They have been working there for almost ten years, and it is like they haven't picked up a single piece of knowledge on their own. I should include Simon Bray also. I get that alot of trainers don't know a lick about wagering / ticket structure, but the stuff Bray says sometimes makes me think he is missing some chromosomes.
Old 03-24-2011, 10:25 AM
Saratoga

I kinda looks like TVG is setting themselves up for a lawsuit for age discrimination. Obviously we don't know the whole story, but if they laid off both those two guys, they were the oldest two on the set from the looks of it.

It could have just been they didn't renew their contracts though. We'll probably never know.