Derby Trail Forums

Go Back   Derby Trail Forums > Main Forum > The Paddock
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 06-12-2010, 07:27 PM
Fairgrounds

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockey2315 View Post
I think he would've proven better than Curlin if given the opportunity.
I hope you are kidding. But, if you are not- we'll never know so Curlin wins IMO. I was just sayin I had little respect for Bernardini when he raced but in retrospect he looks like Seattle Slew compared to pos like Summer Turd.
Old 06-12-2010, 07:31 PM
Dee Tee Stables

Quote:
Originally Posted by chucklestheclown View Post
I hope you are kidding. But, if you are not- we'll never know so Curlin wins IMO. I was just sayin I had little respect for Bernardini when he raced but in retrospect he looks like Seattle Slew compared to pos like Summer Turd.

i think summer bird did pretty well considering his total campaign last year. he's actually comparable to bernardini in that both got a later start than many of their peers. now, bernardini got more wins, but i don't think summer bird was a 'pos'. i don't know that their one year stands up to many other horses top season, but neither was a slouch-and no doubt both could have done a lot at four, had they been able to race.
Old 06-12-2010, 07:42 PM
Super Mod.. and Super Fly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danzig View Post
exactly! i'm just saying that a horse should really do a lot before they start getting a ton of accolades-and i don't think in hindsight that bernardini really deserved a lot of the praise he was given that year.
Tough crowd. He was a tremendously fast three-year-old, the best since Point Given. Obviously these days, with so few truly great horses remaining, people are going to go overboard when a really good one comes along. Just look at the hyperbole machine from Rachel and Zenyatta fans. Bernardini was simply brilliant in his brief career.
Old 06-12-2010, 07:43 PM

Quote:
Yeah, what a POS he had to be to win the Belmont, Travers and JCGC, crushing the 2010 HOY favorite twice in the process. Such a ho-hum feat that triple is. Jesus, there's no pleasing you people.
Old 06-12-2010, 07:51 PM
Dee Tee Stables

Quote:
Originally Posted by ateamstupid View Post
Yeah, what a POS he had to be to win the Belmont, Travers and JCGC, crushing the 2010 HOY favorite twice in the process. Such a ho-hum feat that triple is. Jesus, there's no pleasing you people.
exactly. quality road is supposed to be a beast and summer bird beat him both times they met-but he's a pos?
Old 06-12-2010, 07:56 PM
Fairgrounds

The 2010 HOY favorite...LOL. I've spent the past 10 minutes trying to log back in to reply to another thread re the inferiority of todays horses because of breeding practices but it may as well be here. The Breeders Cup and Eclipse Awards mean shat to everyone betting money on races except how they skew the ACTUAL RUNNING of races (like the JCGC) and the payouts thereof. I couldn't care less about who is named "Horse of the Year" except as to how it affects the results of the races I'm betting from June thru September, and that is a damn big deal and why CDSI is out a few K of mine this year.
Old 06-12-2010, 07:59 PM

Quote:
The 2010 HOY favorite...LOL. I've spent the past 10 minutes trying to log back in to reply to another thread re the inferiority of todays horses because of breeding practices but it may as well be here. The Breeders Cup and Eclipse Awards mean shat to everyone betting money on races except how they skew the ACTUAL RUNNING of races (like the JCGC) and the payouts thereof. I couldn't care less about who is named "Horse of the Year" except as to how it affects the results of the races I'm betting from June thru September, and that is a damn big deal and why CDSI is out a few K of mine this year.
What the hell are you talking about? You're talking about the quality of Summer Bird as a racehorse, so explain to me what that has to do with handicapping and gambling and your damn big deal super winning awesomeness. Your comment was that Summer Bird was a POS. In this conversation, gambling and how you do at the windows doesn't have ish to do with the tea in China.
Old 06-12-2010, 08:07 PM
Fairgrounds

Wow. Are you REALLY that naive?
It seems that you are, and Danzig too.
There is NOTHING about horseracing that has nothing to do with gambling.
Old 06-12-2010, 08:13 PM

Quote:
Wow. Are you REALLY that naive?
It seems that you are, and Danzig too.
There is NOTHING about horseracing that has nothing to do with gambling.
you said Summer Bird was a POS, I said that he pulled off a very rare triple last year, beating the best dirt horse in the world right now twice, and your response was "HOY? LOL. I win at gambling." Bravo.
Old 06-12-2010, 08:14 PM
Fairgrounds

Quote:
Originally Posted by ateamstupid View Post
you said Summer Bird was a POS, I said that he pulled off a very rare triple last year, beating the best dirt horse in the world right now twice, and your response was "HOY? LOL. I win at gambling." Bravo.
Where did I say I win at gambling? If anything, I lose because of the ulterior motives of greedy owners who run horses in spots they stand no chance in and drop dead in front of my picks and/or trainers who "prep" their horses in races they should win by open lengths but really are just there for a public workout and suck up for third just for fun.
Old 06-12-2010, 08:19 PM

Quote:
I couldn't care less about who is named "Horse of the Year" except as to how it affects the results of the races I'm betting from June thru September, and that is a damn big deal and why CDSI is out a few K of mine this year.
Maybe I misinterpreted this. Either way, this does nothing to answer my question of why Summer Bird sucks.
Old 06-12-2010, 08:24 PM
Fairgrounds

He is no Zenyetta...hell...he is no Zardana.
Old 06-12-2010, 08:36 PM

Yeah, that's what I thought. Thanks for playing.
Old 06-12-2010, 09:25 PM
Dee Tee Stables

call me naive if you wish, but how does any of the above explain that summer bird is indeed a pos as you called him? it was pointed out that he beat quality road, this years presumptive handicap leader, twice last year-and you rattle on about cdi and betting?
Old 06-12-2010, 09:35 PM
The Curragh

Quote:
If anything, I lose because of the ulterior motives of greedy owners who run horses in spots they stand no chance in and drop dead in front of my picks and/or trainers who "prep" their horses in races they should win by open lengths but really are just there for a public workout and suck up for third just for fun.
Man, I must be an idiot. When I lose it's simply because I can't pick winners.
Old 06-13-2010, 06:10 AM
Flemington

Chuckles should stick to late night stealth posting
Old 06-13-2010, 07:21 AM
Fairgrounds

Both are exciting to watch. Glad to see RA won her race yesterday. Hopefully Zenyatta will be able to keep her streak going today.
Old 06-13-2010, 08:17 AM
Churchill Downs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danzig View Post
call me naive if you wish, but how does any of the above explain that summer bird is indeed a pos as you called him? it was pointed out that he beat quality road, this years presumptive handicap leader, twice last year-and you rattle on about cdi and betting?
That was last year. I think Summer Bird was a really nice horse deserving of the 3yo championship, but Quality Road is running at a level SB was never going to get to.
Old 06-13-2010, 09:55 AM
Dee Tee Stables

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thunder Gulch View Post
That was last year. I think Summer Bird was a really nice horse deserving of the 3yo championship, but Quality Road is running at a level SB was never going to get to.
and that is all pure speculation. i think summer bird still had room to improve. keep in mind, quality road broke his own donn record this year-he was no slouch last year at all. yet the bird beat him twice. and yes, summer bird was a really nice horse. i'm not saying he was the bid come back to life, but he was certainly not a 'pos' as chuckles called him.
Old 06-13-2010, 12:18 PM
Saratoga

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coach Pants View Post
I lost the Baffert drawing.
Oh poo.