Derby Trail Forums

Go Back   Derby Trail Forums > Main Forum > The Paddock
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 01-05-2017, 03:38 PM
Hollywood Park

Default Blewitt no longer at NYRA; UPDATE: Gaudet's role expands

Not only is NYRA TV no more in NYC, they've also dumped Jason Blewett after 18 years.

DRF Live | David Grening | Jason Blewitt no longer at NYRA

Quote:
Jason Blewitt, who has worked at the New York Racing Association since 1998, was fired Thursday as the company eliminated his position as studio/television host.

Blewitt, 38, started working at NYRA part-time in the media communications department in the fall of 1998. He became full-time in May 2000. Blewitt eventually left the communications department and started working in the TV department where he hosted the nightly recap show on the MSG network for a decade while also hosting the daily in-studio simulcast show.

In 2016, Blewitt co-hosted the majority of the live daily shows from Belmont and Saratoga, which aired approximately four races a day on various cable outlets nationwide. That show is expected to return in the May and potentially be expanded, at least during Saratoga.

"I still love Thoroughbred racing more than anything," Blewitt said when reached Thursday afternoon. "I enjoyed my time at NYRA, essentially growing up at the NYRA."

On Thursday, Andy Serling worked solo in-studio, providing pre-race analysis for each race.

"We certainly appreciate Jason's contributions to the NYRA and wish him nothing but the best in his future endeavors," said Pat McKenna, director of communications & public affairs for NYRA.
Old 01-05-2017, 03:40 PM
Saratoga

Quote:
Originally Posted by TouchOfGrey View Post
Not only is NYRA TV no more in NYC, they've also dumped Jason Blewett after 18 years.

Nick T???? Would love to see him get a shot. Really nice guy.
Old 01-05-2017, 04:48 PM
Narragansett Park

Quote:
Originally Posted by TouchOfGrey View Post

It is beyond belief that of all the issues at the New York Racing Association, having Jason Blewitt on camera was the biggest concern? A fine gentleman, he has bled NYRA red, green, and blue more loyally than anyone in the organization. Was there not another spot in the entire organization where his expertise could have been used?

Now, the question to ask is WHY would NYRA make this move? Andy Serling's strength is producing counterpoints in the handicapping equation and offering thoughts about how a race might be run. That is not the material used in a hosting spot and if Andy was (unfairly) asked to be a long-term sole host, he will lose that edge that defines his persona.

NYRA must have another candidate in mind. While Steve Byk paired with Andy would be an interesting daily mix, it would be unlikely that NYRA is looking for another male host for the mix.

This has to be an open door for Gabby Gaudet who was so well received on the Saratoga Live programs last summer.
Old 01-05-2017, 04:58 PM
Havre de Grace

Quote:
Originally Posted by jms62 View Post
Agree w/you..

NTamm is a pro handicapper w/ solid cred; not a fluffer; Gabby also is solid and teams well w/ andy.

Blaise Pascal
Old 01-05-2017, 05:07 PM
Arlington Park

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottJ View Post

This has to be an open door for Gabby Gaudet who was so well received on the Saratoga Live programs last summer.
Shame if true but wouldn't be surprised. It's like a requirement to have a barbie in sports handicapping.
Old 01-05-2017, 06:01 PM
Havre de Grace

Quote:
Originally Posted by jms62 View Post
Very nice of you. I'm enjoying being on the sidelines in racing and am finishing getting an MBA in 2017.

Jason is a nice guy and a real fan of the sport and I'm sure he'll enjoy more success in the game.
Old 01-06-2017, 12:10 AM
Randwyck

Quote:
Originally Posted by NTamm1215 View Post
Very nice of you. I'm enjoying being on the sidelines in racing and am finishing getting an MBA in 2017.

Jason is a nice guy and a real fan of the sport and I'm sure he'll enjoy more success in the game.
Good for you Nick. Always good to have a solid degree to fall back on when the capping goes sour. Many ages ago I did my thesis comparing pari mutuel betting to the portfolio Random Walk Theory. I was a lot smarter then.
Old 01-06-2017, 12:14 AM
Atlantic City Race Course

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pants II View Post
Shame if true but wouldn't be surprised. It's like a requirement to have a barbie in sports handicapping.
She's really not bad IMO.
DID JB do something wrong? Always liked him.
Old 01-06-2017, 12:56 AM
Washington Park

Jason was a rare bird in that he was a "straight man" analyst. That gave way for more adventurous souls such as Andy to pick some plays. It gave a point-counterpoint discussion. I'll miss him.

I watch Talking Horses all the time and I don't look at it as a tip sheet, but as a discussion. I have some ideas and then go through the card with them and see some replays and opinions. I have always gotten honest opinions on NYRA. I think it's a great show.
Old 01-06-2017, 06:11 AM
Havre de Grace

Quote:
Originally Posted by NTamm1215 View Post

IS That a Masters of Beyer associates ?

Blaise Pascal
Old 01-06-2017, 06:28 AM
Arlington Park

Quote:
Originally Posted by RHT2004 View Post
She's really not bad IMO.
DID JB do something wrong? Always liked him.
It has nothing to do with her and everything to do with unfair trends. You do notice this is a thread about a loyalist being sh.itcanned, correct?
Old 07-17-2017, 07:02 PM
Narragansett Park

Quote:
It is beyond belief that of all the issues at the New York Racing Association, having Jason Blewitt on camera was the biggest concern? A fine gentleman, he has bled NYRA red, green, and blue more loyally than anyone in the organization. Was there not another spot in the entire organization where his expertise could have been used?

Now, the question to ask is WHY would NYRA make this move? Andy Serling's strength is producing counterpoints in the handicapping equation and offering thoughts about how a race might be run. That is not the material used in a hosting spot and if Andy was (unfairly) asked to be a long-term sole host, he will lose that edge that defines his persona.

NYRA must have another candidate in mind. While Steve Byk paired with Andy would be an interesting daily mix, it would be unlikely that NYRA is looking for another male host for the mix.

Replaying from January 2017 - sometimes, the tea leaves do align. Gabby's longer term position with NYRA is great news for the viewership.
Old 07-17-2017, 07:04 PM
Newmarket

Quote:
Replaying from January 2017 - sometimes, the tea leaves do align. Gabby's longer term position with NYRA is great news for the viewership.
Definitely!

http://www.hickoryhillhoff.blogspot.com/
Old 07-17-2017, 07:10 PM
Atlantic City Race Course

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hickory Hill Hoff View Post
Definitely!
With ya.
Old 07-18-2017, 05:40 AM
Belmont Park

Expected and welcomed..Gabby is excellent..Now we get to read the tweets on how Andy is mean to her or treats her poorly.. Those are cute..lol
Old 07-18-2017, 04:01 PM
Havre de Grace

Great news on Gabby,top rate combo w/andy. show will go 4-6;30pm

https://www.nyra.com/saratoga/news/g...nded-nyra-role

Blaise Pascal