Derby Trail Forums

Go Back   Derby Trail Forums > Main Forum > The Paddock
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 05-29-2010, 10:35 PM
Suffolk Downs

Oh and to answer the question? I was at home jumping up and down because I made a pretty hefty score on Birdstone. Not to mentioned I bet him pretty hard in the derby only to watch him get bounced around any did not handle the track that turn into a mess only 30 minutes to post.
Old 05-30-2010, 06:45 AM
Narragansett Park

It seems everybody on this forum bet Birdstone. Amazing. Everyone bet a 36/1 shot.
Old 05-30-2010, 08:24 AM
Suffolk Downs

Slewbopper- It seems everybody on this forum bet Birdstone. Amazing. Everyone bet a 36/1 shot.

It was a reason he was 36-1, most people did bet him....

I would think betting against Smarty Jones in all prior races and the Belmont for this fact. Because I bet Smart Jones sire (Elusive Quaility) when he was a Bill Mott speed ball who broke a world record on a turf course that was hard as asphalt 4th of July weekend about 10 years ago! Can't see him winning at a mile and half.

I took a chance on a horse that I bet in the derby. Besides, if you bet Nick Zito horses in stake races. He will give you a clue in the final workout...either 5f in 1:00 or less or 4f in 48 seconds or less.

I call this the Nick Zito championship blow out. Go back on all of his graded earners...every last one had this workout!

The man trained under the great Woody Stephens who owned the Belmont Stakes in the 80's.

Btw that wasn't the biggest price horse I caught in a Belmont stakes...the IRS knows which one I hit.
Old 05-30-2010, 08:29 AM
Oaklawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by docicu3 View Post
Why go silent at a boss show??
Boss had walked off stage for a brief cleanup about 1 1/2 hrs into the show. He comes out with a wooden stool and his guitar over his shoulder. Everyone starts hollering. He sits down with guitar and "shushes" the crowd. Everyone shut up.
Old 05-30-2010, 08:49 AM
Fairgrounds

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slewbopper View Post
It seems everybody on this forum bet Birdstone. Amazing. Everyone bet a 36/1 shot.
It is amazing isn't?
Old 05-30-2010, 09:24 AM
Woodbine

I had seats in the stands at the Preakness that year. When Smarty came down the stretch, even though I was screaming at the top of my lungs, I literally couldn't hear my own voice because the roar of the masses drowned it out. I never experienced such unbridled enthusiasm from a crowd.

So I went to the Belmont with a group of people from work, expecting the best. When Smarty got caught in the stretch, it was like the crowd received a collective punch in the gut. I never experienced such unbridled diappointment from a crowd.

A television news crew made their way towards me because, I guess, they saw that I was wearing a Smarty cap (which I had gotten when I went to Philly Park, after standing in line for a couple of hours, just to watch Smarty work) and they figured it would make good theater.

I think that if the reporter had gotten to me right away, in the moments directly after the loss, I would have, at the least, exhausted in seven seconds George Carlin's list of seven words you can't say on television. However, my boss kind of interposed himself, so the reporter turned to him for a few seconds, allowing me to compose myself. When the reporter got to me, I made some pithy comment that, being from Philly, I was used to disappointment in sports (this was before the Phils' world series win, and at a time when the Philly teams always seemed to fall just short) and that we'd just have to look forward to a Triple Crown winner from the Philadelphia area next year. It was hokey, I know, but when the report was on the news that night, they ended it with my segment. I figure I've still got fourteen minutes of fame due.
Old 05-30-2010, 09:25 AM
Coach Pants

Quote:
Originally Posted by clyde View Post
"Plus I hated Smarty Jones. His name alone was not deserving of a Triple Crown."

^^^^ Best of show.

The music never dies.

Don't be a fool.
Smarmy Clone on the other hand...
Old 05-30-2010, 09:34 AM
Goodwood

At Belmont Park, in the backyard.

The cruel irony of it for me was before Smarty Jones came along in November of '03, Birdstone was my '04 Derby horse.
Old 05-30-2010, 09:42 AM
Jerome Park

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kingturf View Post
Slewbopper- It seems everybody on this forum bet Birdstone. Amazing. Everyone bet a 36/1 shot.

It was a reason he was 36-1, most people did bet him....

I would think betting against Smarty Jones in all prior races and the Belmont for this fact. Because I bet Smart Jones sire (Elusive Quaility) when he was a Bill Mott speed ball who broke a world record on a turf course that was hard as asphalt 4th of July weekend about 10 years ago! Can't see him winning at a mile and half.

I took a chance on a horse that I bet in the derby. Besides, if you bet Nick Zito horses in stake races. He will give you a clue in the final workout...either 5f in 1:00 or less or 4f in 48 seconds or less.

I call this the Nick Zito championship blow out. Go back on all of his graded earners...every last one had this workout!

The man trained under the great Woody Stephens who owned the Belmont Stakes in the 80's.

Btw that wasn't the biggest price horse I caught in a Belmont stakes...the IRS knows which one I hit.

There is so much wrong with this post...but the double longshot redboard in your 20th post has to supercede that Nick didn't work for Woody.
Old 05-30-2010, 10:03 AM
Coach Pants

Gee thanks for quoting that drivel, Andy. Now I can't get this image out of my mind...

Old 05-30-2010, 12:00 PM
Woodbine

Quote:
Originally Posted by stonegossard View Post
I was high fiving the dude next to me at the track as they hit the wire.
me too, i was here at the simulcast. alot of us had birdstone, he was the mary lou local fave. plus, he was good before the belmont. i had pics with smarty and birdstone......they were selling t-shirts, pins, bumper stickers and most of the people there,were not horse players. they thought it was a lock and right before post thats what made me know he was going to lose. big brown was the same thing but i had to hit the "all" button to get that one. rooting for those kind of horses is one thing....betting them is another.....counting on them winning and then betting them...... well.....i can say...its horse racing.....gambling .....sucka. you never make a score betting that way. but i love how people think they can anyway.
Old 05-30-2010, 12:11 PM
Atlantic City Race Course

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwkniska View Post
I heard that. Had Birdstone all the way in it (winner ATB, exacta) and was at AP.

Never cared for Smarty as much (bet against all 3 TC races, finally hit in the belmont). Was hoping that War Emblem would be the one that would get it... but not to happen.
why in the heck would anyone want War Emblem to get a TC?
Old 05-30-2010, 01:14 PM
Narragansett Park

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackthroatedwind View Post
There is so much wrong with this post...but the double longshot redboard in your 20th post has to supercede that Nick didn't work for Woody.
I was wondering about that, but thought I would leave it to someone else to respond. Sandy Bruno and David Donk are the two I remember being assistants to the Butcher. And of course when he was lying in his hospital bed dying of emphazema, he took credit for his proteges' wins
Old 05-31-2010, 08:03 AM
Churchill Downs

Was at Kentucky Downs watching. The whole place was nuts and you couldn't hear the person next to you during the race. When they start flashing the splits, I'm screaming "too fast" at my friend...it went dead silent as soon as they hit the wire.
Old 05-31-2010, 09:09 AM
Oaklawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by clyde View Post
"Plus I hated Smarty Jones. His name alone was not deserving of a Triple Crown."

^^^^ Best of show.

The music never dies.

Don't be a fool.
Clyde,,,,,,,,,Gomer,,,,,,,,,,,,,Goober,,,,,,,,,,, D.A.,,,,,,,,,they all fit!

Why did you pick Clyde?

Did you have a choice?

Is that your real name?

Your picture looks like a Morty.
Old 05-31-2010, 02:33 PM
Atlantic City Race Course

Fun thread, MMSC! I'm enjoying reading everyone's recollections (I'm stuck at work on Memorial Day, boo! and this is a nice break)

I was squished up against the fence close to the finish line. My friend Angelika had shown up with a broken rib, and I freely admit I used the sympathy card to get us as close to the front as I could. My husband was NOT happy to be there- he hates crowds, but I'd sworn up and down he'd see history. I had the VCR set to tape the race so I could enjoy watching and rewatching when I got home.

My stepbrother asked me to bet Purge for him before the race, and then, watching Purge melt down in front of the crowd, I thought, "Uh oh. Fat chance getting him to pay me back." (He did, though)

When the race started, husband, who has NO interest in horse racing, groaned that the fractions were too fast, and I thought, "Huh. All those times I accuse him of not listening to me..." Heh.

I was very disappointed, but moderately amused that the silence after Smarty's loss was much greater than the half-assed silence after Reagan's death was announced earlier in the day.

The ride home was made somewhat better by the fact that the husband had put some money on Birdstone (to show- like I said, he's not a racing fan, but he was happy) and I'd hit one of the earlier races. I picked two horses trying turf for the first time and they ran one-two. I was all smug, with my beginner handicapping, until I reread the section in the book I'd finished that said "Never bet a horse trying turf for the first time" and realized I'd just gotten lucky.

I never could bear to watch the tape of that Belmont.
Old 05-31-2010, 08:23 PM
Arlington Park

I was there at Belmont Park (we lived in NYC at the time) and as they crossed the wire I was probably rifling through my tickets to see if I had used Royal Assault at all in the bottom of my trifectas. I hadn't, and that made me very sad.
Old 06-01-2010, 12:56 PM
Saratoga

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Hot4TV View Post
Clyde,,,,,,,,,Gomer,,,,,,,,,,,,,Goober,,,,,,,,,,, D.A.,,,,,,,,,they all fit!

Why did you pick Clyde?

Did you have a choice?

Is that your real name?

Your picture looks like a Morty.
Mortimer was darted.Clyde was a ROM name.All of a sudden, I could speak. Stevie did not explain why this happened.He was probably ashamed.You would think the least he could do for such a good guy would be to change it to Mortimer...but nooooOOOOOO.Clyde is not my real name.My avytar is my real face.

Soon..I will move back to where I started---the woods.

People should enjoy me while they can.

Oh---hope you are doing well,honest I do.
Old 06-01-2010, 05:47 PM
Washington Park

Let's see.......