Derby Trail Forums

Go Back   Derby Trail Forums > Main Forum > Contests > Call to the Post
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 02-18-2024, 06:29 PM
Oriental Park

Quote:
Originally Posted by cal828 View Post
You are a true student of the game Joly and your knowledge of it is impressive and instructional. Two observations from me. One, I thought whoever made the odds wouldn't even be close considering the track was a river, but they certainly had it right in the big race and luckily, I went along with them and glad I did, but in the waning moments before it went off I wasn't all that confident. Chad's horse had already proven himself on a muddy track, but I wasn't sure that would translate to a sloppy track and the other thing was I noticed that Asmussen's maiden winner was 3-1 and I left him out. The other thing that might have had some effect on the odds making was the absence of the Ortiz brothers. Obviously, whatever, Irad rides is often made the favorite and often deservedly so.

Anyway, I do appreciate these asides from you. Like I said, instructive.

Thank you Cal. Very kind of you. I've always enjoyed the analysis aspect of the sport, sometimes to the detriment of my attempts to cash a winning ticket. We have so many knowlegable and talented horseplayers in our group and I wish we had more discussions of our experiences of races gone by or debates about races yet to be run. I think we could all learn a lot from one another.

By the way, congrats to you on your astute single of Sierra Leone in your exacta array.
Old 02-18-2024, 08:19 PM
Havre de Grace

Quote:
Originally Posted by JolyB View Post
Thank you Cal. Very kind of you. I've always enjoyed the analysis aspect of the sport, sometimes to the detriment of my attempts to cash a winning ticket. We have so many knowlegable and talented horseplayers in our group and I wish we had more discussions of our experiences of races gone by or debates about races yet to be run. I think we could all learn a lot from one another.

By the way, congrats to you on your astute single of Sierra Leone in your exacta array.
Thanks. Not sure it was all that astute considering the exacta was the favorite and the second favorite, but I'll take it anyway considering how badly I've played in recent weeks.

You are right. We do have a lot of good and talented players which is sometimes obscured by the second part of the task of horseplaying which is, of course, the betting, but I would say that's probably universal except for a very small minority that always seem to do it right. Not easy, but I guess if it was we wouldn't be interested in doing it and still pursuing it after, for some of us, what seems like a lifetime.

Last edited by cal828 : 02-19-2024 at 08:26 AM.