Derby Trail Forums

Go Back   Derby Trail Forums > Main Forum > The Paddock
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 01-02-2016, 11:10 PM
Washington Park

Default Rails

I can't figure out these Turf rails. GP has enough room to have 3 good turf courses, which is great. They can move the rails out 113 feet or 0 feet, what does it mean ? I know it keeps good turf, which is great. I remember when they started it at Saratoga. They'd start wide and come in through the meet. Save grass.

Does short rails favor speed ? Is a 1 1/8 mile race the same if the rails are out 113 feet ? I don't know and the people I know don't know either. We also don't know about run-ups. We have GPS and Trakus and are skepctical of the data.
Old 01-03-2016, 09:49 PM
Oaklawn

The farther the rails are out, the more it favors front end speed. It makes the turn tighter which is more difficult for closers to make that wide sweeping turn.
Old 01-03-2016, 10:09 PM
Dee Tee Stables

Quote:
Originally Posted by saratogadew View Post
The farther the rails are out, the more it favors front end speed. It makes the turn tighter which is more difficult for closers to make that wide sweeping turn.
How can it be both tighter and wide and sweeping?
Old 01-04-2016, 06:37 AM
Havre de Grace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danzig View Post
I think the banking of the turns makes it harder for closers when the rails are out. there are also changes in runups, making it difficult to handicap it.

Blaise Pascal
Old 01-04-2016, 06:49 AM
Hialeah Park

Quote:
Re-read his post
"A person who saw no important difference between the fire outside a Neandrathal's cave and a working thermo-nuclear reactor might tell you that junk bonds and derivatives BOTH serve to energize capital"

- Nathan Israel
Old 01-04-2016, 07:39 AM
Saratoga

Quote:
Ready ... Fire... Aim
Old 01-04-2016, 07:47 AM
Dee Tee Stables

Thanks for providing clarity. I was serious.
Old 01-04-2016, 09:28 AM
Havre de Grace

here's an old '06 piece on gp turf course.

http://www.brisnet.com/cgi-bin/edito...nt=yes&id=3608

newer-http://www.derbytrail.com/forums/showthread.php?t=33572&page=2--

http://www.paulickreport.com/news/th...at-gulfstream/

of note -
One of the major things I've kept an eye on at Gulfstream the past several years is the temporary rail settings on the turf course. Similar to tracks with large turf course that deploy a movable rail, the Gulfstream grass course becomes very favorable to speed horses the further out from the hedge the rail is set. If you dig through the results charts from a season of turf races, you'll see rail setting from 0 feet all the way out to 108 feet, and a lot of different settings in-between.

In my personal opinion, it seems that speed really starts to have an advantage when the rail is 80 feet or further away from the hedge. When I see a 108 foot setting, I'm looking for speed horses unless the pace is going to be insane and even in those situations I'm more likely to pass than play a deep closer.

There are a couple of different considerations for the rail setting, chief among those the ability to reduce wear and tear on the grass over the course of the season. The other consideration is the distance of the scheduled turf races for the day; the rail setting impacts the position of the starting gate relative to the turns which can impact the effectiveness (or lack thereof) of gate positions.

You're not going to crush every race where the rail is set out at 80 or 100 feet with a front running horse but, if you watch those races fairly closely throughout the meet, you'll find at least several instances where lone speed will go off at ridiculously high odds given the advantages of the rail set-up.

Blaise Pascal

Last edited by Benny : 01-04-2016 at 10:03 AM.
Old 01-04-2016, 09:59 AM
Randwyck

Quote:
Originally Posted by saratogadew View Post
Actually it's the opposite of this, the turns are not as tight as the rails move out. The distance travelled around the turn increases as the rail is moved out. The horse in the two path will travel increasingly more ground than the one path as the rails move out.
Old 01-04-2016, 10:13 AM
Jerome Park

In the good old days, this would be an opportunity for an epic and monumentally insulting post from BBB.
Old 01-04-2016, 10:48 AM
Steve Byk

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackthroatedwind View Post
In the good old days, this would be an opportunity for an epic and monumentally insulting post from BBB.

And many pies too... iOOOOOOOOO!
Old 01-04-2016, 01:01 PM
Dee Tee Stables

Quote:
Originally Posted by Port Conway Lane View Post
Actually it's the opposite of this, the turns are not as tight as the rails move out. The distance travelled around the turn increases as the rail is moved out. The horse in the two path will travel increasingly more ground than the one path as the rails move out.
that's what i thought too.
that's why i wondered how it could be tighter, along with wider? if one takes a paper clip and adjusts it outward, it's not going to be a tight turn anymore.
Old 01-04-2016, 06:24 PM
Washington Park

Most dirt and turf courses are bermed so that water goes to the sides. On the inside, the bank is favorable. However, it's not like Daytona. It's slight at most places, and often a disadvantage very wide.

Interesting topic. Running some results for the last couple weeks, I'm not getting a big difference 60-40 on E or E/P types versus S on both rail settings.

On Dirt Sprints it's 85% E or E/P. Routes 66% E or E/P.