Derby Trail Forums

Go Back   Derby Trail Forums > Main Forum > The Paddock
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 09-28-2008, 03:30 PM
Randwyck

Default Coal Play

well, he just won completely under wraps on a muddy track at Monmouth. Obviously he beat nothing, but it's pretty sweet to see him get a stakes win, especially after he ran so well and so hard last out against Big Brown. I don't have any illusions about him, but does anyone think he can be a contender in the Jerome (if it's not coming up too soon)?
Old 09-28-2008, 04:13 PM
Stuck in 1994

The Jerome is next Sunday....
Old 09-28-2008, 04:18 PM
Randwyck

Quote:
Originally Posted by KirisClown
The Jerome is next Sunday....
then I guess that would make my question moot, lol. Oh well - I thought he was being pointed for that race, but mabye Zito just wanted a fairly easy race for him after the Haskell.
Old 09-28-2008, 04:27 PM
Lincoln Fields

Quote:
Originally Posted by Betsy
well, he just won completely under wraps on a muddy track at Monmouth. Obviously he beat nothing, but it's pretty sweet to see him get a stakes win, especially after he ran so well and so hard last out against Big Brown. I don't have any illusions about him, but does anyone think he can be a contender in the Jerome (if it's not coming up too soon)?

Coal Play's race in the Haskell was much better than many people gave him credit for. Because a horse is a no name does not make that horse a bum. He has proven to be worthy of a quality Grade I competitor. He is in good hands with his trainer. I too will follow him in his next race. Does anyone know what that will be?
Old 09-28-2008, 04:30 PM
Lincoln Fields

Quote:
Originally Posted by Betsy
then I guess that would make my question moot, lol. Oh well - I thought he was being pointed for that race, but mabye Zito just wanted a fairly easy race for him after the Haskell.

I meant to ask if Coal Play and Cool Coal Man are related? Plus they are both trained by Zito which makes me wonder?
Old 09-28-2008, 04:32 PM
Stuck in 1994

The Pegasus at the Meadowlands would seem like a good spot...
Old 09-28-2008, 04:44 PM
Dee Tee Stables

Quote:
Originally Posted by RollerDoc
I meant to ask if Coal Play and Cool Coal Man are related? Plus they are both trained by Zito which makes me wonder?
both trained by zito, owned by lapenta, and sired by mineshaft.
Old 09-28-2008, 04:46 PM
Lincoln Fields

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danzig
both trained by zito, owned by lapenta, and sired by mineshaft.

If I remember correctly, Cool Coal Man got off with the early leaders at the Derby. It looks like Coal Play may be the greater talent of the two.
Old 09-28-2008, 04:53 PM
Dee Tee Stables

Quote:
If I remember correctly, Cool Coal Man got off with the early leaders at the Derby. It looks like Coal Play may be the greater talent of the two.
hard to say who is more talented, but cool coal man at this point is more accomplished. has won over 200k more than his stablemate, who is yet to win a graded race, while CCM has won a gr 2.
Old 09-28-2008, 04:55 PM
Randwyck

Quote:
hard to say who is more talented, but cool coal man at this point is more accomplished. has won over 200k more than his stablemate, who is yet to win a graded race, while CCM has won a gr 2.
I love CCM - I'm hoping he'll develop into a nice older horse. He was running well in the Travers before getting clobbered. At least he's working well at the Spa now.

I thought CP would be a nice colt earlier in his career, but he was sort of a disappointment. He's come around now - hopefully it's not just a Monmouth thing.
Old 09-28-2008, 04:56 PM
Dee Tee Stables

Quote:
also, regarding the early lead in the derby, i believe you're thinking of cowboy cal.
Old 09-28-2008, 05:38 PM
Jerome Park

He is pointing to the Pegasus.
Old 09-28-2008, 05:42 PM
Del Mar

Quote:
also, regarding the early lead in the derby, i believe you're thinking of cowboy cal.
No I think he's right. . . not that it really matters. CCM was on the rail and got out first. . .
Old 09-28-2008, 06:01 PM
Dee Tee Stables

according to the chart, cool coal man(and he was on the rail) was never better than 4th, at the 1/2 and 3/4 poles, while cowboy cal ran second til the mile, laying off bob black jack.
Old 09-28-2008, 06:02 PM
Oriental Park

Speaking of Zito-La Penta horses, what are they doing with D'Tara. Going off of historical Zito 3yo campaigns, I'm surprised he didn't show for the JCGC. I realize on paper he and Wanderin Boy would cancel each other out, but the way the track was yesterday, he might have been 2-3 in there.

Anyways, the point is that if Zito is ever gonna try a horse on synthetic, I would think D'Tara would be it. He's by Tiznow, who's stud career has been seemingly resurrected by the advent of synthetic surfaces. In addition, he has basically a Cal-bred pedigree (he's out of a Martin Wygod mare), which possibly--with pgrdn's and DrugS's approval--might be some sort of advantage, genetically speaking.
Old 09-28-2008, 06:03 PM
Jerome Park

I wouldn't be surprised if he shows up Friday night in the Meadowlands Cup ( Da'Tara that is ).
Old 09-28-2008, 06:03 PM
Dee Tee Stables

i don't know that i'd say resurrected tiznows stud career. it's certainly added a new dimension to his ability as a sire, but i think he's always done well for himself.
Old 09-28-2008, 06:05 PM
Del Mar

Quote:
according to the chart, cool coal man(and he was on the rail) was never better than 4th, at the 1/2 and 3/4 poles, while cowboy cal ran second til the mile, laying off bob black jack.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jBeoZUsnXdc

he was on the lead right in the beginning. . .
Old 09-28-2008, 06:14 PM
Randwyck

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackthroatedwind
He is pointing to the Pegasus.
Thanks, Andy!

Nick has done a very good job with him; I'm extremely happy.

I'll agree with Da Hoss that Coal Play isn't a grade 1 horse yet, but that doesn't bother me. I'm really just thrilled that he's developed into a nice horse.
Old 09-28-2008, 06:29 PM
Jerome Park

He is a very nice horse and could have a very good year in 2009 ( not that 2008 was bad ). One problem, however, is how poorly he ran at Gulfstream last winter and I wouldn't be surprised if they lay him up until next spring. I have no knowledge, beyond the Pegasus, of what they hope to do with him, I'm just guessing.

Nick has always been high on Coal Play and I'm glad to see that he turned things around after this winter.