Derby Trail Forums

Go Back   Derby Trail Forums > Sports Bar & Grill
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 06-13-2006, 12:14 PM
Oriental Park

Default us open - winged foot

I am going to selcet a player that I think can win who is greater than 50>1.
If one of the big 4/5 beat him so be it.

The player i think can win that can shoot 4 rounds between 68 - 73 on this golf course and finish somewhere around even par is Justin Leonard.

He has the abiltiy to work his driver both ways off the tee, which will be important at Winged Foot since there are doglegs to the right and left.

His short game is world class and if his putter is on , i think he will be right there.

A little inside info - We all know he played great therein '97 and came in 2nd to Davis Love in the PGA. Davis' win was as dominating on a field (with the exception of some of Tigers wins) in a major in the last 10 years.

Also when yous truly was a Gale at Iona , I got to caddie for him at WInged Foot for a day. He played in the all american outing that Bill Fugazy ran up there. Since it was a fun tourney , after the hole was over, and since it was slow, i dropped some balls in some hard places around the greens and watched him time after time get the ball up nad down from some pretty tough spots.

I'm pretty confident he will be in contention come Sunday.
Old 06-13-2006, 12:21 PM
5'8".. but all man!

Quote:
Originally Posted by gales0678
I am going to selcet a player that I think can win who is greater than 50>1.
If one of the big 4/5 beat him so be it.

The player i think can win that can shoot 4 rounds between 68 - 73 on this golf course and finish somewhere around even par is Justin Leonard.

He has the abiltiy to work his driver both ways off the tee, which will be important at Winged Foot since there are doglegs to the right and left.

His short game is world class and if his putter is on , i think he will be right there.

A little inside info - We all know he played great therein '97 and came in 2nd to Davis Love in the PGA. Davis' win was as dominating on a field (with the exception of some of Tigers wins) in a major in the last 10 years.

Also when yous truly was a Gale at Iona , I got to caddie for him at WInged Foot for a day. He played in the all american outing that Bill Fugazy ran up there. Since it was a fun tourney , after the hole was over, and since it was slow, i dropped some balls in some hard places around the greens and watched him time after time get the ball up nad down from some pretty tough spots.

I'm pretty confident he will be in contention come Sunday.
You and I think alike. We are doing a pool here at work and he was the 2nd person I put on my list. The guy is a magician from 100yds and in, so if he misses fairways, I like his chances of making par after chipping back to the fairway.
Old 06-13-2006, 12:27 PM
5'8".. but all man!

On a different golf note....Philly Mick has hired a full time PR Aide that is COUNTING THE NUMBER OF AUTOGRAPHS he is signing. He signed 172 in 15 minutes after the Wachovia last week. The is way too funny...is this guy paranoid about his image or what????
Old 06-13-2006, 12:29 PM
The Curragh

top 3 picks for us open

1.Tiger of course
2.Fred Couples
3.Jose Maria O
Old 06-13-2006, 12:44 PM
Woodbine

If Tiger is close to 50% Fairways hit and putts half decent, it's all over.
Old 06-13-2006, 03:02 PM
Oriental Park

Default 50% fairways

I don't think anyone in the world can win the US Open by ONLY hitting 50% of the fairways

GPK do you agree?
Old 06-13-2006, 03:08 PM
5'8".. but all man!

Quote:
Originally Posted by gales0678
I don't think anyone in the world can win the US Open by ONLY hitting 50% of the fairways

GPK do you agree?

Not with the progressive rough they have there this year. The further off line you hit it, the more penal it will be.

Winner will need to hit at least 65% of his fairways.
Old 06-13-2006, 03:13 PM
Del Mar

I hope Tiger chips & putts better than he did in that last round in the Masters. He better plan on hitting 90% of his fairways if his short game is like that.
Old 06-13-2006, 03:16 PM
5'8".. but all man!

I firmly believe Tiger is sitting on a really big performance. I promise you he is VERY aware that Phil has won the last two majors and he will have none of that. Its constantly clear that his desire is to be the best in the world and the wider margin that he can seperate from #2 in the world the better. People talk about a rival for Tiger, but I'm sure in Tigers mind he is thinking "F that."

Ironic that 6 years ago, the same days, June 15-18 we were witness to the most dominating performance ever witnessed on a golf course. 2000 US Open at Pebble Beach. Would love to see a repeat of that this year at Winged Foot.
Old 06-13-2006, 03:21 PM
Del Mar

You know how I feel about both golfers Kev, but like it or not I believe Tiger does indeed have a legitimate rival right now in Phil. Tiger had absolutely every chance to win at the Masters. Phil was coming off a huge win in a no name tournament and everybody said he would bounce. You have to give credit where credit is deserved. Phil played magnificient the last day at the Masters.

Phil has now won 3 majors and is owners of the last 2. Tiger has 10. I know thats still quite a gap but Tiger needs to start rolling again for anybody to think Phil isnt a rival.

This coming from me...Tiger = Red Sox, Phil = Yankees (In terms of how I like each).
Old 06-13-2006, 03:31 PM
Woodbine

Yeah, 50% was a bit of an exaggeration. I was kind of agreeing w/ GPK with Tiger sitting on a big one. I think his mind will be much clearer and he will hit enough fairways to get by. He is the best scrambler w/ his inventive shot making that even if he misses the fairway, he can still muscle the ball out. I have a feeling that if he brings his "B" game he will win by a few shots. "A" game and he laps the field.
Old 06-13-2006, 03:57 PM
Oriental Park

Default b - game

I think he had his B game at the Masters this year and did not win.

He said himself that he never hit the ball better tee to green. Putted horribly.

There are others who if they play their A game and he plays his B game he will lose to, maybe a couple of years ago that was not the case, but, today it is. I think the other players have cuaght up to him more thant you think.

Also - He has never lapped the field in a US Open on a tight tree-lined course like Winged Foot. Pebble Beach is not like the Open courses in the East.

1 other fact - of his 10 majors - only 1 is on a par 70 course - Bethpage Black where he won by 3 strokes. Tiger's advantage on a par 70 over the field is not as big as a par 71 or 72. He has won 6/10 majors on Augusta and St Andrew's - two par 72 course that play as par 68's for him and par 72's for 95 % of the other players in the field.

I think he is a bet agianst this week at 5/1 off his layoff and history on par 70
courses.
Old 06-13-2006, 04:29 PM
Del Mar

I am a huge Tiger fan but yet I get tired of hearing that every time he doesnt get it done, hes only playing his B or C game. You can basically say that about any player. Yes I know Tiger wins more than anyone else with his sub-average efforts but lets be honest... Tiger blew it at the Masters. He had a chance to win and got way out played by Phil.
Old 06-13-2006, 04:41 PM
5'8".. but all man!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gander
I am a huge Tiger fan but yet I get tired of hearing that every time he doesnt get it done, hes only playing his B or C game. You can basically say that about any player. Yes I know Tiger wins more than anyone else with his sub-average efforts but lets be honest... Tiger blew it at the Masters. He had a chance to win and got way out played by Phil.

He got out putted by Phil.
Old 06-13-2006, 04:45 PM
5'8".. but all man!

Tim...you know how much I dislike Phil, but I am the first person to give credit where it is due. Phil played fantastic at Augusta and Tiger played equally great, if not better, from tee to green. Phil simply putted better.

I know how hard this game is, especially at a high tournament level. I know how draining it is. I don't dislike Phil for his golf game, never have. He is a real talent. I just dislike Phil as a person, not for his golf game. I will always give him credit when he plays well.
Old 06-13-2006, 04:52 PM
Del Mar

I feel the same way Kev, but when Phil doesnt get it done this week, I will be the first person to say Phil only had his C game. I dont think him nor Tiger will win. Retief should do very well, he is my pick.
Old 06-13-2006, 04:56 PM
5'8".. but all man!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gander
I feel the same way Kev, but when Phil doesnt get it done this week, I will be the first person to say Phil only had his C game. I dont think him nor Tiger will win. Retief should do very well, he is my pick.
The 9 players I used for the office pool, in order.

1. Tiger
2. J. Leonard
3. Veeeeej
4. Westwood
5. Furyk
6. Els
7. Goose
8. G. Olgivey
9. Ames

Last edited by GPK : 06-15-2006 at 08:20 AM.
Old 06-13-2006, 04:57 PM
boldruler

Watch out for Padraig Harrington. 50-1 and he wins his major.
Old 06-15-2006, 08:12 AM
5'8".. but all man!

Our boy J. Leonard better get on the ball....+3 through 3 holes.

Last edited by GPK : 06-15-2006 at 08:20 AM.
Old 06-15-2006, 08:20 AM
5'8".. but all man!

Our boy J. Leonard better get on the ball....+3 through 3 holes.