Derby Trail Forums

Go Back   Derby Trail Forums > Sports Bar & Grill
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 06-12-2006, 04:18 PM
oracle80

Default Ben Roethlisberger hurt in crash

Gee guess Terry Bradshaw was right when he advised him to quit the riding until he retired. Crash boom!! Was thrown hard and far, in serious condition.
Some 62 year old lady sent him flying.
Old 06-12-2006, 04:32 PM
The Curragh

take a look at the accident scene, holy smokes
Old 06-12-2006, 05:10 PM
pgardn

I dont know if the board has seen the bumper stickers...

Become An Organ Donor, Ride a Motorcycle.

I will never ever get on one and no one in my family will get on the death machine. My wife got called out so many times in the middle of the night to go do workups on Donors that had been involved in motorcycle accidents. Young people, healthy and dead.

Absolutely sad.
Old 06-12-2006, 05:32 PM
Woodbine

No doubt they are dangerous. I remember a story they did on Big Ben last fall, They said he didn't wear a helmut, but he wasn't one of those wild riders, he just likes to cruise around. He said he's real careful, but you can't control the other drivers out there. With a friggin million dollar superbowl arm, I think I would be doing all the "cruising" I can handle after I retire.
Old 06-12-2006, 06:40 PM
The Curragh

you think he would of learned from Jay Williams of Duke basketball fame
Old 06-12-2006, 06:51 PM
Havre de Grace

Quote:
Originally Posted by pgardn
I dont know if the board has seen the bumper stickers...

Become An Organ Donor, Ride a Motorcycle.

I will never ever get on one and no one in my family will get on the death machine. My wife got called out so many times in the middle of the night to go do workups on Donors that had been involved in motorcycle accidents. Young people, healthy and dead.

Absolutely sad.
I've had 5 friends die on cycles...told my boys no way in hell you're riding while I'm alive! Every bike accident is a Major accident. Find another way to let your inner child out!
Old 06-12-2006, 07:09 PM
Oaklawn

They just replayed the interview on ESPN from about a year ago. Interesting. He says in the interview that "if it was a law" he would definitely wear his helmet, but since it's not, he doesn't.

I had always heard that you can't legislate common sense, but maybe you can.
Old 06-12-2006, 07:25 PM
Newmarket

Bet he'll have a helmet on next time he rides. If he didn't have to wear a helmet on the football field would he go out there without one? Been a Steeler fan for the 30 years, waited for that Super Bowl victory for 25. If his injury is real serious, his actions will set the club back - big time! I though they needed a good back up for if he gets hurt next season. They really need one now! And Charlie Batch doesn't cut it!!!

http://www.hickoryhillhoff.blogspot.com/

Last edited by Hickory Hill Hoff : 06-12-2006 at 07:30 PM.
Old 06-12-2006, 07:42 PM
gangstaOFlove

that is unfortunate, he could of been one of the greatest ever... personally,he should of atleast waited 3years after being in the NFL.. this way he would of plenty of money for his family after he retired(or die)... this was just a selfish decision
Old 06-12-2006, 07:45 PM
Oaklawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hickory Hill Hoff
If he didn't have to wear a helmet on the football field would he go out there without one?

Maybe not. Remember the hockey players that were grandfathered a few years back...you never know!

I kinda though Big Ben was different. I sure hope I don't have to add him to the "million dollar arm & nickel brain" club with Heath Shuler & Ryan Leaf!!
Old 06-12-2006, 10:00 PM
Narragansett Park

Default out of surgery

Ben is out of surgery ... lasted 7 hours .... brain, chest and spine are ok ... facial fractures have been repaired .... reported by local pittsburgh tv station
Old 06-12-2006, 10:03 PM
pgardn

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevepopyak
Ben is out of surgery ... lasted 7 hours .... brain, chest and spine are ok ... facial fractures have been repaired .... reported by local pittsburgh tv station
Very good news. Lucky man so far.
Old 06-12-2006, 10:47 PM
Washington Park

Thank God! They are estimating he will be out of action for 6-8 weeks before he can start "serious" conditioning again which puts it early/mid August before he practices and he could be ready for the season, but that is a big could. Being a huge Steelers fan I am glad that the prognosis is looking good!
Old 06-13-2006, 09:12 AM
Woodbine

Default Banged up Ben

He suffered multiple facial fractures," Pituch said. "All of the fractures were successfully repaired. His brain, spine, chest and abdomen appear to be without serious injury. And there are no other confirmed injuries at this time."

The doctors declined to release further information at the family's request.

ESPN.com's John Clayton has confirmed that Roethlisberger also suffered a 9-inch laceration to the back of his head, has lost or chipped a number of teeth and has minor injuries to his knees from hitting the pavement.

A broken jaw normally takes seven weeks to heal. It is not known how long it will take for the other injuries to heal. Pittsburgh's training camp begins in late July.

He'll be cutting a pretty hefty check to his plastic surgeon, or no more Letterman for him. Doesn't sound like he'll be ready for camp.
Old 06-13-2006, 09:58 AM
Del Mar

Who cares and why is this news? A guy fell off his momocyle. Happens every day. So he misses a season, and fails to earn 50K a day. Waa waa waa.
Old 06-14-2006, 09:20 AM
Secretariat

well its more than just a guy, its the super bowl winning quarterback. and judging from the mangles of his ride, i would say he will never regain the physical prowess he once enjoyed.
he should have headaches the rest of his life, doubt if he will be able to run without knee pain, and who knows if he will concuss the first time he takes a hit.

bad siuation , dumd, dumb, dumb......
Old 06-14-2006, 09:25 AM
Del Mar

And we should feel sorry for somebody who doesnt wear a helmet riding a momocyle? He deserves what he gets and frankly he is in the select few who are even able to survive a momocylce accident.

I equate momocyles to insects. They only come out in the summer and make a lot of noise and are irritating.
Old 06-14-2006, 09:43 AM
Randwyck

Gander, I have to say, that is very cold. I'm not a steeler fan or a big ben fan for that matter, but I still feel sorry for the guy. Do you not feel sorry for people who dont wear seatbelts and are hurt in car accidents? I don't agree with him not wearing a helmet but I still have enough compassion to care that he's ok.
Old 06-14-2006, 10:11 AM
Del Mar

I disagree with the comparison of wearing seatbelts in a car vs wearing a helmet riding a motorcyle. Its absolutely absurd to get on a two wheeled bike going great speeds without something protecting your head.

But I do get your point and I will send Big Ben flowers.
Old 06-14-2006, 10:21 AM
Del Mar

Whats even more absurd is the fact that in NY state its illegal not to wear a seatbelt in a car. But you can ride a motorcyle without wearing a helmet. LOL!

Thats as funny as people calling in sick at work for 2 straight days because they had a bad cold/strep throat and when they come back they are right away outside smoking cigarettes. No joke. You'd have to see it with your own eyes to believe this. A person already coughing and barely able to talk, but yet still outside puffing away. LOL! This is better than George Carlin.