Derby Trail Forums

Go Back   Derby Trail Forums > "At the Races with Steve Byk"
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 06-08-2010, 02:55 PM
Morris Park

Well, add me to the list of unhappy people. Can't stream at work. Ruins my drive home. There goes my last reason for paying for Sirius. I will let my subscription expire. Sorry Steve, this has to hurt, but the main reason I keep renewing my contract is your show. Without it, I'm gone. Hopefully we can still listen to the archives on your website. Won't help me in the car though.
Old 06-08-2010, 03:15 PM
Jerome Park

Old 06-08-2010, 03:26 PM
Les Bois

I will do my best to listen whenever the show is on....the show has changed the way i bet after 30 years and actually made me a much better handicapper. Good luck in the new spot...you can always play live races from England....
Old 06-08-2010, 03:45 PM
Newmarket

Question Still streaming from 4 to 7 on the internet???

Steve,

Will the show be replayed in afternoon streaming (like it's now done after 7pm) and more importantly will it have the same time slot on the internet (from 4 to 7) each day. Although I have Sirus in my wife's car, most of the time I listen to the show on the streaming internet feed. Everything will work out for the best I'm sure

http://www.hickoryhillhoff.blogspot.com/
Old 06-08-2010, 04:22 PM
Gulfstream Park

Most of the posts echo my feelings. I really liked listening in the afternoons on the way home from work.

My Sirius subscription may be cancelled in the near future........
Old 06-08-2010, 06:28 PM
Santa Anita

Sent to sirius customer care, moments ago...

"I'm really upset that "At the Races with Steve Byk" is being moved to mornings. He's one of the only reasons I have an account with your service. Now we no longer will get live racing in the afternoons with him, and this is after we have been forced to tolerate the STUPID "Busted Open" and Fight club nonsense. Our sport deserves better. Just a couple of months ago, I was praising sirius for taking care of us by providing Steve's show and TVG broadcasts all day. Now it seems like you guys want to squeeze us out. Check out DerbyTrail.com and see how many people are screaming about cancelling their accounts. This is not a good move at all -- not for us, the horse racing fans, and certainly not for you."
Old 06-08-2010, 06:31 PM
Super Mod.. and Super Fly

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeydb View Post
He didn't mean you brah.
Old 06-08-2010, 06:45 PM
Santa Anita

Quote:
Originally Posted by ateamstupid View Post
He didn't mean you brah.
Oh -- Joe the Dude ... kinda thought so.
Old 06-08-2010, 06:49 PM
Super Mod.. and Super Fly

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeydb View Post
Oh -- Joe the Dude ... kinda thought so.
Try again.
Old 06-08-2010, 08:14 PM
Gulfstream Park

Ditto. I was set to finally get a unit and subscription for Fathers Day. I was all excited to finally be able to hit my car at 4:00 and listen to the show live. There is no reason for me to get it now. I can't listen live at work from 9-12 (to many work type things) and aside from NPR don't listen to any other radio.
I want to echo some of the comments people have made about the show. I started listening about 2 1/2 years ago and can't belive how much I have learned by doing so. I'm still not that good of a handicapper, but I shutter to think how bad I would be if not for the show and Steve's and the guests insights. I'll keep listening via the archives and will certainly follow Steve wherever he ends up (TV someday?), but I hope the show lives on for as long as Steve wants it too.
Old 06-08-2010, 08:19 PM
Hialeah Park

Quote:
Originally Posted by ateamstupid View Post
Try again.
That's funny...

Joey
Old 06-08-2010, 10:16 PM
Suffolk Downs

With my commute I was able to listen to Steve a few times a week and really missed the days I couldn't. Now listening to replays of folks talking about races that ran the day before will suc... Can't see how the AM slot will work for me. Will try to make the best of it and see how it works out.
Not happy
Old 06-08-2010, 10:21 PM
Tropical Park

I saw a post on another board that sirius doesn't pay for the atr programming anyway, so the company is just doing what is best for itself financially and screwing horseplayers. Reminds me of churchill downs and magna.
Old 06-08-2010, 10:51 PM
The Curragh

I thought about it, and I dont listen to anything in my car other than ATR! This is going to piss me off, especially since I just bought the nice car model.
Old 06-09-2010, 05:52 AM
Flemington

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monarchos1 View Post
I saw a post on another board that sirius doesn't pay for the atr programming anyway, so the company is just doing what is best for itself financially and screwing horseplayers. Reminds me of churchill downs and magna.
good comparison, this really blows. A big carryover on a work day without ATR just isn't the same. Best of luck Steve.
Old 06-09-2010, 06:39 AM
Santa Anita

Last night on my way home from work I called XM's toll free number from my cell. After identifying myself as a subscriber with my phone number and zip code, I was on hold for 20-25 minutes. When I finally spoke to a human, I told her (politely) that I was calling to inquire about At The Races on XM 243, to see if it was going to change times, and that if it was I was likely to cancel my three unit subscriptions. She asked me to hold on for an "XM Customer Care Representative." I held for 15 more minutes until I arrived at my polling place (primaries yesterday), where cell phones aren't permitted, so I hung up. They still have not responded to my email. I don't know why I should be surprised. They have never been responsive before, so why start now.
Old 06-09-2010, 09:10 AM
Steve Byk

I greatly appreciate everyone's thoughts regarding the move and the incredibly generous support. At the heart of Sirius' request is ATR's availability for free on the net. They have annually asked in contract discussions that the show not stream live, and we have politely declined to end the stream knowing that a great number of listeners enjoy the show that way.

Sirius has been very supportive of ATR for a long time, and I understand their need to promote exclusive content in their most marketable slots. They have created some new programming, and want to get it on during 4-7p and seem to have little room for all of us. There are details to work out yet, but I'm trying to find ways to deliver the show to listeners when and how they want it. Thanks to everyone for their heartening eagerness to have 'At the Races' as part of their lives.

Steve
Old 06-09-2010, 10:34 AM
Santa Anita

Thank YOU, Steve. I hope it works out well, in whatever form, for you and the show (and of course for us, too).
Old 06-09-2010, 10:38 AM
Fairgrounds

When it comes to this great sport Sirius/XM could care less about us consumers. Looks like I will be saving a few dollars if that is going to be the schedule. Fridays nights Sirius has a stupid boxing show on that lasts for two hours.
Old 06-09-2010, 10:39 AM
Fairgrounds

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldDog View Post
Last night on my way home from work I called XM's toll free number from my cell. After identifying myself as a subscriber with my phone number and zip code, I was on hold for 20-25 minutes. When I finally spoke to a human, I told her (politely) that I was calling to inquire about At The Races on XM 243, to see if it was going to change times, and that if it was I was likely to cancel my three unit subscriptions. She asked me to hold on for an "XM Customer Care Representative." I held for 15 more minutes until I arrived at my polling place (primaries yesterday), where cell phones aren't permitted, so I hung up. They still have not responded to my email. I don't know why I should be surprised. They have never been responsive before, so why start now.
Wow. I thought Sirius was bad at consumer relations. My heart goes out to you.