Derby Trail Forums

Go Back   Derby Trail Forums > Dee Tee Stables
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 05-19-2007, 10:56 AM
Steve Byk

Default Sumwon sparkles in Sat. work

Dee Tee Stables' SUMWONLOVESYOU signaled her readiness for next Friday's scheduled start working a sharp 6f under regular rider Willie Martinez Saturday morning in 1:13.3 at Churchill Downs. The effort, according to trainer Chuck Simon, "couldn't have gone better," with Sumwon receiving the added benefit of picking up an unscripted workmate as part of the a.m. drill.

Commencing at the 5/8ths pole, the daughter of Came Home zipped the first quarter in :23.4, the half in :47.4 (:24.0) and 5f in 1:01.1 (:13.1), before coming home around the clubhouse turn strongly in :12.2 (1:13.3). While the work itself stands on its' own merits as a tuneup for her scheduled start 5/25, it was the workmate that made the spin interesting...

Sumwon picked up a Tom Proctor filly, who had begun her work at the half mile pole, as the Dee Tee colorbearer began her own run in earnest. Having spotted the filly a bit more than a length, Sumwon "dug in" according to Martinez and chased the foe from the inside into the stretch. Drawing even with her rival nearing the finish line, Sumwon drew off past the wire and into the turn where her work was targeted to end, making the final segment of the breeze the best part of the work...

The unexpected competition for Sumwonlovesyou? Proctor's stakes winning 3yo grass filly MOONEE PONDS, whose :48.3 half mile was 8th of 42 tries at the distance, and who was recently favored in The Edgewood Stakes at Churchill... Sumwon was blowing appropriately after the effort and cooled out quickly afterwards.

Willie had nothing but praise for Sumwon after the work. "She does everything you ask, Chuck," Martinez told Simon. "She didn't want to be behind that filly and really dug in." Martinez added that she changed leads on cue as well and responded to his cuckling at her perfectly.

Chuck will undoubtedly add his perspective here and on the ChuckBlog later today, but this was a perfect tightener for the start, and it's "all systems go" for Friday...
Old 05-19-2007, 11:32 AM
Keeneland

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kasept
The unexpected competition for Sumwonlovesyou? Proctor's stakes winning 3yo grass filly MOONEE PONDS, whose :48.3 half mile was 8th of 42 tries at the distance, and who was recently favored in The Edgewood Stakes at Churchill... Sumwon was blowing appropriately after the effort and cooled out quickly afterwards.

Martinez added that she changed leads on cue as well and responded to his cuckling at her perfectly
Oh, wow .... Chuck, what have you developed here?

The lead change thing is awesome! And the digging in, of course, like we saw in her last race - competitive! AND sounds like she got a good tightener out of it, too.

Next Friday is going to be a bit bittersweet, Steve, if she does well and you have to stay in FL for ATRAB

Great update, thanks!
"Have the clean racing people run any ads explaining that giving a horse a Starbucks and a chocolate poppyseed muffin for breakfast would likely result in a ten year suspension for the trainer?" - Dr. Andrew Roberts
Old 05-19-2007, 11:35 AM
The Curragh

Sounds Great! Looking forward to Friday.
Old 05-19-2007, 11:37 AM
Steve Byk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riot
Next Friday is going to be a bit bittersweet, Steve, if she does well and you have to stay in FL for ATRAB

Great update, thanks!
I'll be there Friday..
Old 05-19-2007, 11:38 AM
Keeneland

Quote:
Having spotted the filly a bit more than a length, Sumwon "dug in" according to Martinez and chased the foe from the inside into the stretch. Drawing even with her rival nearing the finish line, Sumwon drew off past the wire and into the turn where her work was targeted to end, making the final segment of the breeze the best part of the work.
Maybe Chuck can address this ... Sumwon passed her on the inside?
"Have the clean racing people run any ads explaining that giving a horse a Starbucks and a chocolate poppyseed muffin for breakfast would likely result in a ten year suspension for the trainer?" - Dr. Andrew Roberts
Old 05-19-2007, 11:42 AM
Hollywood Park

Default Wow

Great workout. What a testiment to Chuck and his great staff. Sumwon has moved up so much in such a short time. I can't wait to see her run next Friday.

Thanks Steve and Chuck!

Paul
Old 05-19-2007, 11:46 AM
Keeneland

Quote:
I'll be there Friday..
That's good, as I think to celebrate Sumwon's first win, when it occurs, some of the partners were planning on dumping Gatorade (or champagne, I forget ... ) over your and Chuck's heads, and of course Chuck is a tad tall (although we will have jman present), you might be a bit easier target ...
Old 05-19-2007, 11:52 AM
Sha Tin

Steve covered just about everything. Very good work. Checked out fine afterwards.
Old 05-19-2007, 11:53 AM
Steve Byk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cannon Shell
Steve covered just about everything. Very good work. Checked out fine afterwards.
Nothing else to add... Chatty Cathy?
Old 05-19-2007, 11:59 AM
Sha Tin

Quote:
yes
Old 05-19-2007, 11:59 AM
Sha Tin

Quote:
Nothing else to add... Chatty Cathy?
I would like to talk about Classy Cathy
Old 05-19-2007, 12:05 PM
Flemington

Perhaps the 2nd best PA bred filly foaled in the 80's?
Old 05-19-2007, 12:13 PM
Detroit Race Course

Thumbs up

Quote:

SWLU was on the inside when she ran up on Moonee Pond in about the three path. She drew even half way down the stretch and headed the other filly before the clubhouse turn. She looked very impressive through my field glasses as she gobbled up ground with her long strides. She looked like a million bucks when she came back to the shed row. " Me thinks " we have us a runner folks. It was worth every mile of the drive to witness our girl shine this a.m.
Old 05-19-2007, 12:18 PM
Hollywood Park

When's the draw? Tuesday?
Old 05-19-2007, 12:21 PM
Keeneland

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benny Leger
SWLU was on the inside when she ran up on Moonee Pond in about the three path. She drew even half way down the stretch and headed the other filly before the clubhouse turn. She looked very impressive through my field glasses as she gobbled up ground with her long strides. She looked like a million bucks when she came back to the shed row. " Me thinks " we have us a runner folks. It was worth every mile of the drive to witness our girl shine this a.m.
YOU Devil! You were in town, and didn't let me know? (couldn't come anyway today, here at work since noon)

Thanks for the detail!
Old 05-19-2007, 02:13 PM
Arlington Park

THANKS for the update!! thanks to CS's team for all the great work! we HOPE to see everyone friday!!
Old 05-20-2007, 01:49 AM
Saratoga

Chuck, great job again. This workout sounds excellent, this horse is a runner. I would love to get there Friday, but that is a longshot. Can't wait for this one.
Old 05-20-2007, 09:05 AM
Les Bois

Great work and great news!!!! Kelly & I will be flying in from Montreal to see the filly. We arrive thursday evening and leave Sunday 6.00 am. Looking forward to meeting everyone finally Thanks for the fun Chuck and Team.
Old 05-20-2007, 02:49 PM
Arlington Park

we made our reservations last night we arrive late thursday afternoon and have to fly back saturday afternoon.
we're very excited to see Sumwon and meet everyone!
Old 05-20-2007, 07:03 PM
Dee Tee Stables

we just got in from out of town, and sumwons work was one of the very first things i looked up--thanks steve for the email.
her work sounds great, my jaw dropped when i saw who her 'workmate' turned out to be.

i have been back and forth about coming up friday--long trip, but don't want to miss...

i am planning to be there, two teens in tow.