Derby Trail Forums

Go Back   Derby Trail Forums > The Charles Hatton Reading Room
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 12-27-2009, 09:49 PM
Flemington

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indian Charlie
Wow, I thought your fellate the Pats post was retarded, but wow.

Vale of York's trouble was only in your mind. You can't possibly think if those two horses switched trips, VOY still wins.

Almost an advantage going wide?!

It's almost an advantage to lose by nose or a head!

It's almost an advantage to miss a game winning field goal!

It's almost an advantage to get a speeding ticket when you weren't speeding!!

Come to think of it, your post is so ridiculous, I'm thinking you are just baiting me into this response!

Almost, that is.
You're being a douche here because you know Vale Of York's win was huge for me bankroll wise - and you have this stupid belief that I'm year in and year the worlds luckiest bettor.

Look - this years BC Juvenile was certainly not a strong field.

Vale of York steadied sharply early and was rushed from the gates way more than you ever should be on that track.

Lookin At Lucky didn't have a straw in his path - but he was wide on the turns. Almost every single Breeders Cup winner in the last two years over that track won with a wide closing move.

If I was racing at Santa Anita going a two-turn route on pro-ride ... yes, I'd rather race wide with a closer than get rushed from the gate, steady sharply, and than drop inside.
Old 12-27-2009, 09:52 PM
Flemington

Quote:
Originally Posted by stonegossard
Freddy's post was brilliant. As is he. How dare you insult one of Penn National's top owners in winning %.
Tell NoFool to send me an olive branch.
Old 12-27-2009, 09:54 PM
Goodwood

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Indomitable DrugS
You're being a douche here because you know Vale Of York's win was huge for me bankroll wise - and you have this stupid belief that I'm year in and year the worlds luckiest bettor.

Vale of York steadied sharply early and was rushed from the gates way more than you ever should be on that track.

Lookin At Lucky didn't have a straw in his path - but he was wide on the turns. Almost every single Breeders Cup winner in the last two years over that track won with a wide closing move.

If I was racing at Santa Anita going a two-turn route on pro-ride ... yes, I'd rather race wide with a closer than get rushed from the gate, steady sharply, and than drop inside.

I would love for you to link me to a head on view of the first 1/4 mile, cause from where I keep seeing it, your horse had very little trouble at all. It's like calling a sneeze brain cancer.
Old 12-27-2009, 10:02 PM
Flemington

Quote:
I would love for you to link me to a head on view of the first 1/4 mile, cause from where I keep seeing it, your horse had very little trouble at all. It's like calling a sneeze brain cancer.
This is what the chart says "steadied sharply first, rail move, angled out stretch"

I was extremely pissed that he was rushed from the gate and steadied like that - I basically gave up on him after that because horses simply don't often win races that way on that gimmicky surface.

They do win with wide closing moves at a MUCH higher rate than they do on dirt or turf.

I don't know what is more lame - that you so passionately think LaL has one of the top 5 losing performances of the decade in Breeders Cup and Triple Crown races ... or that someone who frequently asks for my thoughts on track trends in regard to running style - is now having a hissy fit because he seems to think Pro-Ride is the same as dirt and turf.
Old 12-27-2009, 11:27 PM
Goodwood

Quote:
This is what the chart says "steadied sharply first, rail move, angled out stretch"
Yeah, and we all know how accurate them chart makers are. Have you even watched the replay yet? Last time we discussed this, you hadn't.

Quote:
I was extremely pissed that he was rushed from the gate and steadied like that - I basically gave up on him after that because horses simply don't often win races that way on that gimmicky surface.
Yeah, you were pissed kinda like the Afleet Alex and Giacamo situations in the Kentucky Derby.

Quote:
I don't know what is more lame - that you so passionately think LaL has one of the top 5 losing performances of the decade in Breeders Cup and Triple Crown races
Eh? When did I change my name to Steve?

Quote:
... or that someone who frequently asks for my thoughts on track trends in regard to running style - is now having a hissy fit because he seems to think Pro-Ride is the same as dirt and turf.
True, I have asked you for your thoughts on track trends, but:

1. Where is my hissy fit exactly?
2. You are making quite a leap in thinking that because I believe LaL lost the juvie because he had a less favorable trip than VOY I somehow have forgotten the differences between dirt and ProRide.
Old 12-27-2009, 11:39 PM
Flemington

I've watched the replay several times. You can't see anything too much on the ESPN feed because they show all of these crazy cuts and weird camera shots.

It was easier to see him gun out of the gate like an idiot and than check sharply on the normal replay. That's no trouble on dirt - slight trouble on turf - and big trouble in a syn route.

I can't believe I'm wasting any time talking about something as stupid as this.

A closer was wide in a pro-ride route at Santa Anita ... the horror. Sup' the vast majority of BC winners on that surface the last two years.

I think speed might do a little better in routes on that track if the jockeys kept their horses five paths off the rail instead of crossing over. The ground loss seems near meaningless as outside paths are often preferred and the horse might relax better so far away from the rail.

This might be the single dumbest thing I've ever argued on a message board.

I guess you were dazzled by his awesome 83 Beyer win when he saved ground at Hollywood - over a synthetic track where racing inside seems far more advatageous.

Afleet Alex ran WAY better than Giacomo did in the Derby. I don't think anyone stated that more clearly than me after the race.
Old 12-27-2009, 11:57 PM
Goodwood

Quote:
I've watched the replay several times. You can't see anything too much on the ESPN feed because they show all of these crazy cuts and weird camera shots.
Sigh.

Maybe the reason you can't see anything too much is because he didn't steady sharply, you dimwit! Try going to CR to watch the race.

Quote:
It was easier to see him gun out of the gate like an idiot and than check sharply on the normal replay.
Gosh, do you think it was easier to see that because he actually did send him for a few jumps? As opposed to not steadying sharply at all????????

Quote:
I can't believe I'm wasting any time talking about something as stupid as this.
I hear ya dude.

Quote:
A closer was wide in a pro-ride route at Santa Anita ... the horror. Sup' the vast majority of BC winners on that surface the last two years.
So, those four or five lengths LaL clearly dropped off of VOY on the first turn don't seem to mean anything?

Quote:
I think speed might do a little better in routes on that track if the jockeys kept their horses five paths off the rail instead of crossing over. The ground loss seems near meaningless and the horse might relax better so far away from the rail.
I'm pretty confident had LaL gotten away with being able to run 1:13 for 3/4, the result of the race would have been different. This from a horse that seems to prefer being up close to the lead.

Quote:
This might be the single dumbest thing I've ever argued on a message board.
Clearly. It is.

Quote:
I guess you were dazzled by his awesome 83 Beyer win when he saved ground at Hollywood - over a synthetic track where racing inside seems far more advatageous.
Now you are quoting BSFs for synthetics to back your opinion?

You are right, this is the dumbest thing you've ever argued.

Quote:
Afleet Alex ran WAY better than Giacomo did in the Derby. I don't think anyone stated that more clearly than me after the race.
No kidding Captain Obvious. What I was trying to impart was your sense of panic and unease at that 'horrible' trip Giacamo was getting in the early stages of the race. Similar to how you panicked with VOY over absolutely nothing, while the other horse was getting it in the ass.
Old 12-28-2009, 07:09 AM
Flemington

^

No wonder I've done so well betting and handicapping synthetic track racing. People still think it's the same as every other surface.
Old 12-28-2009, 12:06 PM
Goodwood

Quote:
^

No wonder I've done so well betting and handicapping synthetic track racing. People still think it's the same as every other surface.
Well, that and trips like LaL got vs VOY.
Old 12-28-2009, 12:42 PM
Flemington

Quote:
Well, that and trips like LaL got vs VOY.
Yes - in the Hollywood Futurity - LaL really showed his vast superiorty to that son of Cuvee who looked good at Presque Isle Downs. The mighty Noble's Promise.

LaL beat Pulsion by less than 2 lengths in the Norfolk - he crushed him in the Juvie despite a supposed horror show trip.

You don't hustle horses out of the gate in synthetic track routes - it's idiotic. And when you do - and you run up on heels and have to check sharply - you're rarely going to finish - and the name of the game is finishing.

The horses that thrive routing on that surface are mostly wide closers.
Old 12-28-2009, 03:45 PM
Flemington

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sightseek
Haskin did it by best losing performance in a TC or BC race:

http://cs.bloodhorse.com/blogs/best-...rown-race.aspx
By the way - Xtra Heat's defeat in the Test Stakes her 3yo season was absolutely one of the most impressive performances in defeat of this decade among races not involved in the BC or Triple Crown series.

I thought she had next to no chance against Victory Ride that day - and that Xtra Heat was wildly overrated ... that performance turned me from a mocker into a fan of hers.

I can't think of any bigtime horse over the last 10 years who my opinion shifted on so strongly after a single losing performance. She was amazing that day - and dueled two VERY fast good fillies into complete submission - both were just about eased ... and she surprisingly fought Victory Ride hard through the stretch after Victory Ride had one of the dreamiest trips a horse can possibly have.

People might not remember Victory Ride so well ... but she was an awesome filly. Won her debut by almost 15 lengths and ran a 108 Beyer for Rusty Arnold. The Test was only her 4th start - she was injured shortly after the race and didn't run again for almost a year.

Vol Jack will surely come around to point out that she also got a 7lbs weight break from Xtra Heat that day. Every little thing and every big thing went in her favor.

Victory Ride went off the 7/5 favorite and Xtra Heat was like 2/1 or 5/2 so it was no upset ... but I thought XH didn't have a prayer in the world and she was without a doubt much the best.
Old 12-28-2009, 03:58 PM
"The Kentucky Killing Machine"

Quote:

i had him also so your smart drugsy.vale is a pretty good horse
Old 12-28-2009, 04:52 PM
The Curragh

Quote:
By the way - Xtra Heat's defeat in the Test Stakes her 3yo season was absolutely one of the most impressive performances in defeat of this decade among races not involved in the BC or Triple Crown series.

I thought she had next to no chance against Victory Ride that day - and that Xtra Heat was wildly overrated ... that performance turned me from a mocker into a fan of hers.

I can't think of any bigtime horse over the last 10 years who my opinion shifted on so strongly after a single losing performance. She was amazing that day - and dueled two VERY fast good fillies into complete submission - both were just about eased ... and she surprisingly fought Victory Ride hard through the stretch after Victory Ride had one of the dreamiest trips a horse can possibly have.

People might not remember Victory Ride so well ... but she was an awesome filly. Won her debut by almost 15 lengths and ran a 108 Beyer for Rusty Arnold. The Test was only her 4th start - she was injured shortly after the race and didn't run again for almost a year.

Vol Jack will surely come around to point out that she also got a 7lbs weight break from Xtra Heat that day. Every little thing and every big thing went in her favor.

Victory Ride went off the 7/5 favorite and Xtra Heat was like 2/1 or 5/2 so it was no upset ... but I thought XH didn't have a prayer in the world and she was without a doubt much the best.
Do you think Lost Aptitude can overcome the 2lbs he is spotting the field in the Tropical Derby?
Old 12-28-2009, 06:35 PM
Flemington

Quote:

How is this race not on Youtube?!

Surely this race must make your list...

Aqueduct April 8, 2006 - It's cold, bitterly cold. The sleet falling down makes it barely bareable to be outside. It's the kind of day that has you dreaming of August at Saratoga. The stakes are high and the only way into the Derby is with a first or second finish, but even that may not be enough. The field breaks, the tiny bay colt trails the field. The pace is honest up front. The bay colt bides his time waiting to unleash his furious run. At the 3/4 mark he is still last until his little legs start moving - faster and faster. He starts passing horses leaping through the giant puddles of slop. Only the bright star on his forehead remains mud free. As the chart would later read he's "coming fast outside" with only one more horse to catch, but the wire comes much too soon and he finishes second.
Old 12-28-2009, 06:39 PM
Belmont Park

Quote:

Aqueduct April 8, 2006 - It's cold, bitterly cold. The sleet falling down makes it barely bareable to be outside. It's the kind of day that has you dreaming of August at Saratoga. The stakes are high and the only way into the Derby is with a first or second finish, but even that may not be enough. The field breaks, the tiny bay colt trails the field. The pace is honest up front. The bay colt bides his time waiting to unleash his furious run. At the 3/4 mark he is still last until his little legs start moving - faster and faster. He starts passing horses leaping through the giant puddles of slop. Only the bright star on his forehead remains mud free. As the chart would later read he's "coming fast outside" with only one more horse to catch, but the wire comes much too soon and he finishes second.

If you were in foal to DrugS the pending foal would be on Abe's list immediately as a Derby contender.. Can I be the G-d father?
Old 12-28-2009, 06:46 PM
Flemington

Quote:
Originally Posted by freddymo
If you were in foal to DrugS the pending foal would be on Abe's list immediately as a Derby contender.. Can I be the G-d father?
HA! HA!
Old 12-28-2009, 06:54 PM
Belmont Park

Quote:
HA! HA!
Don't laugh Nick I am trying to earn. Imagine the interest in a Sightseek DrugS Nick?
Old 12-28-2009, 07:21 PM
Goodwood

Quote:

Go back and watch the First Saturday in May segment during this race- there's one lonely soul in a yellow rain jacket and a green cap braving the rain and sleet, unbeknownst to him they are filming McLaughlin close by.

You know that guy.
Old 12-28-2009, 07:40 PM
Flemington

Quote:
Originally Posted by philcski
Go back and watch the First Saturday in May segment during this race- there's one lonely soul in a yellow rain jacket and a green cap braving the rain and sleet, unbeknownst to him they are filming McLaughlin close by.

You know that guy.
Did we know you yet? We're in this photo:

http://cache1.asset-cache.net/xc/814...FD13ED7B73D4BC
Old 12-28-2009, 08:10 PM
Goodwood

Quote:
Did we know you yet? We're in this photo:

http://cache1.asset-cache.net/xc/814...FD13ED7B73D4BC
No- we met at the Belmont that year. That photo link doesn't work though?