Derby Trail Forums

Go Back   Derby Trail Forums > Main Forum > International Racing
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 02-28-2008, 03:32 AM
Santa Anita

Default 2008 New Zealand Derby

Thought our biggest race of the year deserved a thread to itself.

2008 Mercedes New Zealand Derby: https://www.ebetonline.co.nz/forms/2..._M2_R9_Ext.pdf

This is an awesome field, the best Derby lineup for ages.

The betting looks like this:
Mission Critical 9-2
Fritzy Boy 20-1
Prince Kaapstad 30-1
Red Ruler 2-1 favourite
Sircross 14-1
Pierre Joseph 13-1
Il Divo 17-1
Nom du Jeu 5-1
Avancer 30-1
Six O'Clock News 9-1
Twoeezy 60-1
C'est La Guerre 14-1
Borrack 80-1
Steel 26-1
Butwaittheresmore 100-1
Pentour 25-1
Abitofado 150-1
Sing Song Girl 30-1
Thumbs Up 10-1
Strengthtostrength 100-1

So, who's looked the best going in to the race?

Nom du Jeu was favourite on the futures odds after this - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G82qbQUc5wo

But then Red Ruler passed him with this - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9vjyxd5tPKo

And let's not forget Mission Critical, it's not easy to do this - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mD2WPJxuVmY

Sure, he was beating up on weak fields, but Fritzy Boy's not too bad either - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BSWDX2hKVEE

I think Red Ruler's performance made my jaw drop the furthest, he went from a virtual no-name horse to Derby favourite in about 1 furlong. From now on I will say that any big winner like this of a Derby prep the month before the race is 'doing a Red Ruler'. Well, until one comes along that's better at least.

But Mission Critical's G1 win last start was massive too. You don't often have a horse in the Derby who has already won against older horses, let alone such an impressive win against horses like Sir Slick (who has beaten Xcellent and Princess Coup).

So who wins the Derby this year? I really have no idea. And the wait for 5:22 on Saturday is killing me.
Old 02-28-2008, 09:25 AM
Saratoga

Red Ruler looked great that last time (thanks for posting the link) but I'll stick with and root for Nom Du Jeu.

Should be a great day!
Old 02-29-2008, 11:16 AM
Santa Anita

My Derby day started early...4:15am. I had to come in to work and do the 5am-8am shift. Nice.

It can only get better from here!
Old 02-29-2008, 11:46 PM
Santa Anita

It rained a hell of a lot between 7am and 11am. Which kinda shattered my expectations of this being the best Derby ever.

But then the rain stopped and the racing was way better than I thought it might have been, the track was amazing considering the amount of rain that fell on it.

The Derby winner for 2008 is....

C'EST LA GUERRE

Video: http://www.ellerslie.co.nz/show.cfm?...wf&w=294&h=240

C'est La Who? I was really not expecting that. But he bolted in! 4 lengths, the biggest winning margin in 10 years. Amazing performance!

He's now won 5 out of 8.

Best Derby ever? No. But I think it would be the 3rd best I've been to after Zonda in 98 and Xcellent in 04. Awesome day.
Old 03-01-2008, 02:29 AM
Saratoga

Sounds like a great day and thanks for the replay!
Old 03-01-2008, 04:43 PM
Santa Anita

Found out today that C'est La Guerre had a major colic attack at the start of Feb...not bad to come back from that and win the Derby a month later!
Old 03-05-2008, 03:22 AM
Santa Anita

Great to see that both the trainer and jockey have said that C'est La Guerre's Derby victory on Saturday is the biggest moment of their racing careers.

The trainer, Kevin Myers, is a bit of an elusive guy. Hardly ever gives an interview, and isn't seen much in the winners' circle or among the celebrating owners after his victories. He's an amazing horseman though, and had his Derby horse at his absolute peak when the gates opened at the start of the Derby. His other major win as a trainer was when his underrated gelding Balmuse stunned Starcraft in the 2004 Kelt Capital Stakes at Hastings.

David Walker, like his retired father Jim, isn't given much credit as a jockey. He doesn't often leave the central region of New Zealand, and when the major races are in that part of the country he hardly ever seems to pick up many rides in the big races. He said after the race on Saturday that early in the season he was in a bad slump, thought his luck would never change and considered quitting. This was his first ever Derby ride, and he gave the horse a perfect trip. I hope there's more success ahead for him, he's only 32 so maybe a few good years ahead.

The problem with the trainer being so hard to get any information out of is that we have no idea what the plan is with C'est La Guerre now. I want to know where he's going!
Old 03-05-2008, 08:35 AM
Saratoga

Good for them.