Derby Trail Forums

Go Back   Derby Trail Forums > Main Forum > The Paddock
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 08-21-2006, 01:50 PM
Atlantic City Race Course

I guess the Jockey Club should downgrade those three big GI races to GIII races because of the fields this year. I can't wait to see Evening Attire or Danthebluegrassman give the GIII Pacific Classic a go next year since they're so obviously GIII races.
Old 08-21-2006, 01:50 PM
Coach Pants

Quote:
Originally Posted by kentuckyrosesinmay
The same with Invasor's Surburban. That wasn't a true Grade I field now was it? See, you can play this game all you want to, but it only goes around in circles. Invasor has beat nothing of Grade I quality all year. He almost lost to Sun King for God's sake. Don't give me that FA crap either because FA isn't the same horse that he was last year.
I agree that the Suburban was a crap race as well. The whole division reminds me of the Heavyweight division in boxing. Lackluster and no clear cut champion(s).

To be quite honest I am far more impressed with the crop of two year olds and not to mention Gorella. She's an amazing animal.
Old 08-21-2006, 01:52 PM
Churchill Downs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pillow Pants
I agree that the Suburban was a crap race as well. The whole division reminds me of the Heavyweight division in boxing. Lackluster and no clear cut champion(s).

To be quite honest I am far more impressed with the crop of two year olds and not to mention Gorella. She's an amazing animal.
That I can agree with. The two year olds seem to be outstanding, and I think that we still have a really good group of three year olds despite all of the injuries. Gorella is the mare. I have liked her for a very, very long time.
Old 08-21-2006, 01:54 PM
Coach Pants

Quote:
Originally Posted by slotdirt
I guess the Jockey Club should downgrade those three big GI races to GIII races because of the fields this year. I can't wait to see Evening Attire or Danthebluegrassman give the GIII Pacific Classic a go next year since they're so obviously GIII races.
Or we could just call Lava Man the greatest horse since Secretariat. Does that work for you? I know it's on the opposite side of the sarcasm meter but i'll be damned if I let you be the only smart ass in the thread.
Old 08-21-2006, 02:01 PM
Del Mar

Quote:
Originally Posted by oracle80
So then what was the point of the post? Pointing out the obvious is fine but to represent those who doubt his success if shipped away from Cali as "haters" is not at all fair. I personally think hes one hell of a great story. A claim that makes all that loot and tries so damn hard. I love the horse and his story. But a perusal of what he has beaten in that stretch is basically a whos who of horses who get knocked for hanging, and horses who just aren't very good. I don't find it to be "hating" if someone questions his competition and how much home field advantage plays into things. hes a gelding, so there is no residual value in the shed. They have managed him to PERFECTION by maximizing his earning value in spots worth big cash at home. They deserve incredible kudos for this. Its what you do with a gelding. But I draw the line with those who say he leaves California and wins a race agaisnt grade one company this fall. Thats not gonna happen.
They haven't picked easy spots for him. They shipped him to New York and even shipped him to Japan. He lost in New York. So what. He obviously did not fire that day. Borrego won that race by 7 lengths and LM is much better than Borrego. LM's poor performance in New York is no more significant than Saint Liam's poor performance in California.

Your arguments are not very conistent. By the way, since you think those sheet figures work so well, why don't you look at LM's sheet figures. I don't even know what his figures are, but I can guarantee that he has run faster than all the east coast dogs that you think are so good. HE's run some huge races the last year 15 months. You swear by those sheet figures except for when they contradict your opinion.
Old 08-21-2006, 02:02 PM
Woodbine

WOW, Weak size on the can O worms opened on this thread. Hey, can we just squash all the BS and say Lava Man is a Gamer and he wins where his guys put him? Gee. He may be improving. Someone posted this may be the best spot to beat him after his troubled trip before, and he sh1t rolled em.
Old 08-21-2006, 02:13 PM
Narragansett Park

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rupert Pupkin
I don't know the medication rules in Japan but I know you are allowed to use bute in New York. New york has pretty much the same rules as California and Kentucky. In all three states bute is legal as long as it is given the day before the race.
Say what? There is no bute allowed in NY. Rupert, you have been hanging out with Sandra Bernhardt too long.
Old 08-21-2006, 02:15 PM
Del Mar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slewbopper
Say what? There is no bute allowed in NY. Rupert, you have been hanging out with Sandra Bernhardt too long.
That's interesting since when I've run horses in NewYork, they've run on bute. The rule is the same in New York as everywhere else. You can ask anyone on this board.

Last edited by Rupert Pupkin : 08-21-2006 at 02:17 PM.
Old 08-21-2006, 02:15 PM
Atlantic City Race Course

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pillow Pants
I love it when overrated horses win because posts like these are always the outcome. Comparing Lava Man to Cigar? Wow.
As others have said, I wasn't comparing horses, I was comparing how they were seen by the cynics. Analogy is not a difficult concept but it always seems lost on a lot of folks on message boards. Lava Man is the first horse ever to win the big three California races in the same year, the first in about twenty years, maybe more, I believe, to win grade one races on turf and dirt in the US. He's undefeated, clearly had legit excuses last year at Belmont and Japan and yet....folks go out of their way to hate! Jerry, who lacks common sense in most things, makes statements indicating his mind was made up about the horse BEFORE the year began...I guess if he does win 20 in a row including the BCC and god knows how many other G1's, he'll still be second-rate to him...usless to engage him further. Same with Coach...emotion over fact always. Some here just think racing stops at the Mississippi River, others just want to argue I think. Well, the horse is CLEARLY number one until beaten...nobody can see the future so that's a moot argument!
Old 08-21-2006, 02:17 PM
Keeneland

Quote:
Rupert is right. I researched this last year.
Old 08-21-2006, 02:21 PM
The Curragh

Quote:
Originally Posted by somerfrost
As others have said, I wasn't comparing horses, I was comparing how they were seen by the cynics. Analogy is not a difficult concept but it always seems lost on a lot of folks on message boards. Lava Man is the first horse ever to win the big three California races in the same year, the first in about twenty years, maybe more, I believe, to win grade one races on turf and dirt in the US. He's undefeated, clearly had legit excuses last year at Belmont and Japan and yet....folks go out of their way to hate! Jerry, who lacks common sense in most things, makes statements indicating his mind was made up about the horse BEFORE the year began...I guess if he does win 20 in a row including the BCC and god knows how many other G1's, he'll still be second-rate to him...usless to engage him further. Same with Coach...emotion over fact always. Some here just think racing stops at the Mississippi River, others just want to argue I think. Well, the horse is CLEARLY number one until beaten...nobody can see the future so that's a moot argument!

hey if he wins the BCC with the top quality then yes ill have changed my mind, i said i dont care if he beats up on the same horse time and time again
Old 08-21-2006, 02:21 PM
Narragansett Park

Quote:
Originally Posted by KY_Sasquash
Unlike Best Pal Lava Man has a "miraculous" trainer and he hasnt beaten anything of quality yet. Kudos to the horse for taking advantage of a weak colony, i hope all of his backers load up on him for the breeders cup b/c he'll have no shot vs Invasor and Bernardini.
Invasor had a tough time beating Sun King. Bernie will stomp Invasor. Not so sure about the Lava Man. Bernie hasn't had to dig in yet. We will see. Slew's grandson has heart and I expect him to run his guts out on Nov 4 (?)
Old 08-21-2006, 02:24 PM
Narragansett Park

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seattleallstar
kissing whos butt, ive been agaisnt Lava Man for well over 2 years now
Why? He has won three million dollars in that time. Who else in training has other than Electrocutionist?
Old 08-21-2006, 02:25 PM
Hawthorne

Quote:
I dont care if he wins 20 more races, he can beat up on Magnum, Preachinatthebar that many times if he wants wont mean damn thing. Just that one race where he is competitive agaisnt Bernard,invasor, flower alley, and the rest of the east coast handicap horsies
LOL!!! Flower Alley, now theres a champion!!!! lol, Lava Man is 10 times the horse that one is! You want to talk about OVER-RATED!!!!!
Old 08-21-2006, 02:27 PM
The Curragh

Quote:
Why? He has won three million dollars in that time. Who else in training has other than Electrocutionist?

there are horses in japan with 4-9 million bucks in earnings does that make them great as well
Old 08-21-2006, 02:27 PM
Narragansett Park

Quote:
LOL...thats funny I dont kiss ass unless its a chic.
You only kiss shieks asses? Wow!
Old 08-21-2006, 02:28 PM
Keeneland

Quote:
there are horses in japan with 4-9 million bucks in earnings does that make them great as well
Now that depends, are you talking about US dollars or Japanese yen?
Old 08-21-2006, 02:30 PM
Narragansett Park

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cajungator26
Rupert is right. I researched this last year.
Thern why doesn't it say B in the PPs?
Old 08-21-2006, 02:36 PM
Del Mar

Quote:
Thern why doesn't it say B in the PPs?
They just denote it differently in New York. I guess back there they consider no bute on race day meaning no bute. But there's no bute on race day anywhere. You have to give it the day before.

Last edited by Rupert Pupkin : 08-21-2006 at 03:23 PM.
Old 08-21-2006, 03:14 PM
Coach Pants

Just found some video footage from the winners circle after the race. With the energy on display how could you not get excited about this horse?