Derby Trail Forums

Go Back   Derby Trail Forums > Triple Crown Topics/Archive..
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 05-31-2006, 11:10 AM
Secretariat

Default the starting gate at Pimlico

this has been on my mind for a few days, and it makes little sense to me. maybe someone can clarify it for me.
Bother derek, hits the gate when Barbo runs off so hard that he cuts his nose and starts to bleed, his gate doesn't open.
Barboro, however, according to prado, barely touches the gate, he suffers no facial injuries and his door pops open.
it makes no sense, unless the gate is dysfunctional, meaning that the mechanism covering each post is not in proper working order. one is too sensitive and one is not sensitive enough,
i wonder if this gate has been examined, and further if it was set to open like that.
Old 05-31-2006, 11:20 AM
Keeneland

Quote:
Originally Posted by Secretariat
this has been on my mind for a few days, and it makes little sense to me. maybe someone can clarify it for me.
Bother derek, hits the gate when Barbo runs off so hard that he cuts his nose and starts to bleed, his gate doesn't open.
Barboro, however, according to prado, barely touches the gate, he suffers no facial injuries and his door pops open.
it makes no sense, unless the gate is dysfunctional, meaning that the mechanism covering each post is not in proper working order. one is too sensitive and one is not sensitive enough,
i wonder if this gate has been examined, and further if it was set to open like that.
I wondered the same thing. Derek's face was literally smashed against his gate...
Old 05-31-2006, 11:27 AM
Hollywood Park

Not sure, but I recall stories of horses figuring out how to get out. Most recently was an article Kristin Muhall had stated Imperialism had figured it out. BD defintely didn't hit it in the sweet spot.

Earlier this year I had a horse at Gulfstream and the gate didn't open for him, did for everyone else....it happens I guess but that was a first for me. I'm sure they checked it out thoroughly though.

Last edited by dr. fager : 05-31-2006 at 11:30 AM.
Old 05-31-2006, 11:28 AM
Monmouth Park

I saw a great headshot of Barbaro breaking through the gate. I wonder if it's because his face had the fleece on it and BD didn't. Is there some kind of mechanism on the gates that shuts them down if it malfunctions? I don't know if I've ever seen more than one horse break through the gate.
Old 05-31-2006, 11:31 AM
Keeneland

Quote:
Originally Posted by dr.fager
Not sure, but I recall stories of horses figuring out how to do get out. Most recently was an article Kristin Muhall had stated Imperialism had figured it out. BD defintely didn't hit it in the sweet spot.

Earlier this year I had a horse at Gulfstream and the gate didn't open for him, did for everyone else....it happens I guess but that was a first for me. I'm sure they checked it out thoroughly though.
Yeah, I think there is a way of setting it off if the horse is smart enough to figure it out. LOL That would make for an interesting read though.
Old 05-31-2006, 11:49 AM
Monmouth Park

Well maybe I can get Imperialism to come program my remote for me.....