Derby Trail Forums

Go Back   Derby Trail Forums > Main Forum > The Paddock
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 12-11-2006, 02:15 PM
oracle80

Quote:
Originally Posted by eurobounce
I agree with you to a point. However, I wouldnt be so enthusiastic to have my face plastered on TV and in newspapers if I wont that much money. Marketing horse racing is very difficult concept. The game is very confusing. Once you get a fan to the track then what do you do?
Well my idea is a little different than most.
I think that most racetracks have stigma attached to them(not all) that prevent the kinda folks we are trying to grab in the game from going to them.
I don't think track attendance matters as much as handle.
YOu build very nice restuarant/bar/betting locations in states that have racing.
You try and grab the crowd with bucks to spend who dont just wanna go to the track per say. Those who wanna watch games and have a few beers and a meal.
Here in NY State Capital OTB had a brilliant idea that is working out very well.
They closed some small OTB parlors in various locations and allowed bars/restaurants to become "EZ BET" locations. They get SAm machines and the satellite that allows them to show the tracks and take bets. They are also provided with pp's. They get something like 3% of handle in exchange for it. You buy vouchers from the bartender and you cash in when you are done there as well. Some decent places have picked this up and they do a good business. They get regulars who never bet before playing races.
You can get drinks and food thats good at real prices, not racetrack prices, and the crowd is neat and clean as well.
You have to take the racing to the public, and stop trying to get the public to come to racing.
Old 12-11-2006, 03:05 PM
eurobounce

"You have to take the racing to the public, and stop trying to get the public to come to racing." Oracle, this might be the most intelligent thing you have ever said. Not that is saying much. But very good.
Old 12-11-2006, 03:07 PM
oracle80

Quote:
"You have to take the racing to the public, and stop trying to get the public to come to racing." Oracle, this might be the most intelligent thing you have ever said. Not that is saying much. But very good.
Dude owning 5% of a claimer does not make you a racing authority.
Save the condescension for something you actually know something about.
Old 12-11-2006, 03:11 PM
eurobounce

Quote:
Originally Posted by oracle80
Well tell us Oracle, how many horses do you own or own part of?
Old 12-11-2006, 03:27 PM
Atlantic City Race Course

Quote:
Quote:
my **** is bigger than yours!

this is the world's most amusing pissing contest
Old 12-11-2006, 03:27 PM
oracle80

Quote:
Well actually I just bought someone half of an ownership in a broodmare. He was thrilled at the price, and rather than give me a piddly commission, he gave me a ten percent interest in the foal that will be produced from her mating this spring with First Samurai!! The foal will be a half sibling to the New York Bred stakes winner Imanumbersguy.
Kind of exciting. So no ownership yet, but sometime in spring of 2008 I will have an exciting day when the foal is born?
Thanks for asking!!!
Old 12-11-2006, 03:33 PM
eurobounce

Quote:
Well actually I just bought someone half of an ownership in a broodmare. He was thrilled at the price, and rather than give me a piddly commission, he gave me a ten percent interest in the foal that will be produced from her mating this spring with First Samurai!! The foal will be a half sibling to the New York Bred stakes winner Imanumbersguy.
Kind of exciting. So no ownership yet, but sometime in spring of 2008 I will have an exciting day when the foal is born?
Thanks for asking!!!
Awww...very nice and congrats. And you know what...makes it so much better, you are using someone else's money and kindness. Let me you ask you something....have you ever done anything on your own with your own resources or do you just sit back and piggy back on other people's money and kindness?
Old 12-11-2006, 03:34 PM
eurobounce

Quote:
Thanks for asking!!!
Awww...very nice and congrats. And you know what makes it so much better, you are using someone else's money and kindness. Let me you ask you something....have you ever done anything on your own with your own resources or do you just sit back and piggy back on other people's money and kindness?
Old 12-11-2006, 03:50 PM
Flemington

Quote:
Originally Posted by brianwspencer
my **** is bigger than yours!

this is the world's most amusing pissing contest
Now watch....some silly troll will probably register under the name Mike Hawk, and start to participate in this thread.

I think something to that effect happened here a few days ago. People can get to be so juvenile on these internet message boards from time to time.
Old 12-11-2006, 03:52 PM
oracle80

Quote:
Awww...very nice and congrats. And you know what makes it so much better, you are using someone else's money and kindness. Let me you ask you something....have you ever done anything on your own with your own resources or do you just sit back and piggy back on other people's money and kindness?
LOL!!! Well I think when you do a good job at something and someone wants to offer you something like that its wise to accept it rather than a small commission up front.
I'm so very sorry that it offends you, oh wait a minute, nah I'm not.
If I ever wanted to own one or part of one I'd either buy a piece of a NY bred or a claimer.
Old 12-11-2006, 03:56 PM
eurobounce

Quote:
LOL!!! Well I think when you do a good job at something and someone wants to offer you something like that its wise to accept it rather than a small commission up front.
I'm so very sorry that it offends you, oh wait a minute, nah I'm not.
If I ever wanted to own one or part of one I'd either buy a piece of a NY bred or a claimer.
I am trying to buy into a NY bred. The program is just too good not to be part of IMO. Do a good job--HA HA. That is funny. You are just a horse whore. Basically, you are someone else's bitch because they are too busy with more important stuff. So they hire a horse flesh whore like yourself to do their work for them. You dont care about this sport, you are in it for yourself and yourself only. You only care about getting yours, that is why you never have put any of your own resources into the game.
Old 12-11-2006, 04:09 PM
oracle80

Quote:
I am trying to buy into a NY bred. The program is just too good not to be part of IMO. Do a good job--HA HA. That is funny. You are just a horse whore. Basically, you are someone else's bitch because they are too busy with more important stuff. So they hire a horse flesh whore like yourself to do their work for them. You dont care about this sport, you are in it for yourself and yourself only. You only care about getting yours, that is why you never have put any of your own resources into the game.
I respect everyone who owns no matter how big or small, including you, but if you think that buying 5% of a 5 claimer(which you have) and spending 250 bucks "puts something big" into the game, well I dunno.
Trying to use that as a stance to look down on others is pretty lame.
Do you really think that you aren't "in it for yourself" when you plunked down that 250 bucks?
You are delusional pal.
Old 12-11-2006, 04:58 PM
Cahokia Downs

its one of the few downfalls of being super rich, you always are going to have people dragging on your coattails trying to get a buck or 3 thrown their way. no i am not near rich but i am surrounded by people who pay more for their plasma tvs than i do my car. lame way to go through life if you ask me. i would rather stay struggling. buy your own damn horse if you want to be a player.
Old 12-11-2006, 05:00 PM
Sha Tin

Quote:
Originally Posted by uscrules
its one of the few downfalls of being super rich, you always are going to have people dragging on your coattails trying to get a buck or 3 thrown their way. no i am not near rich but i am surrounded by people who pay more for their plasma tvs than i do my car. lame way to go through life if you ask me. i would rather stay struggling. buy your own damn horse if you want to be a player.
I've tried both....I'll take rich!
Old 12-11-2006, 05:02 PM
oracle80

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cannon Shell
I've tried both....I'll take rich!
The ****ing nerve of you!!! I bet your wife is real mad that her husband is trying to make a living instead of being a player!!! Oh the shame!!
Old 12-11-2006, 05:05 PM
Sha Tin

Quote:
The ****ing nerve of you!!! I bet your wife is real mad that her husband is trying to make a living instead of being a player!!! Oh the shame!!
She has more money than me!
Old 12-11-2006, 05:07 PM
oracle80

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cannon Shell
She has more money than me!
Of course she does!! You are a horse trainer.
Old 12-11-2006, 05:10 PM
Newmarket

My advice to all you people...

start drinking heavily.
Old 12-11-2006, 05:12 PM
Cahokia Downs

yes i want to be rich hypothetically someday but I will do it myself and with only my hard work, that is how i was brought up. not to mooch off others even though i know i could if i sought that way out.
Old 12-11-2006, 05:14 PM
Oriental Park

God USC is lucky they lost to UCLA, Ohio State may have beat them 100 to 0