Derby Trail Forums

Go Back   Derby Trail Forums > Main Forum > Equine Health, Retirement & Aftercare
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 09-04-2007, 04:23 PM
Steve Byk

Default Paraplegic Foal: UPDATE..

North Carolina family working hard to save/rehab a Quarter Horse foal (born 3.17/07) that suffered debilitating viral spinal illness/damage.. Tremendous commitment involved with no certainty for a happy ending.

http://www.thehorse.com/ViewArticle.aspx?ID=10293

Provokes a discussion point...

While noble, is trying to save this foal the 'right thing to do' for the horse?
Old 09-04-2007, 04:32 PM
Del Mar

It seems like they euthanize older horses for much less than that. . .
Old 09-04-2007, 04:45 PM
The Curragh

While my initial thought was no, they should have just euthanized, after reading the article, I now feel that as long as the horse is happy and not suffering, and the family doing this is happy, then GOOD FOR ALL INVOLVED! It's a pretty heart-warming story.
It reminds me of the stories of people who either have or deal with handicapped children, and consider them the greatest gift they could have ever been exposed to.
With the proper attitude, people (and animals) can deal with just about anything.
Old 09-04-2007, 04:48 PM
Coach Pants

Someone needs to save Anita from herself.
Old 09-04-2007, 06:43 PM
Sha Tin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kasept

Yes
Old 09-04-2007, 06:51 PM
Dee Tee Stables

my initial thought was no. then i thought a bit(and remembered a story i read years ago about a pony who became blind, but learned how to move and even jump by listening to his rider-whether or not it was all bullsh!t i don't know, but it was a good story!), and then i read the article. and once more, it has to be on a case by case basis. the right horse, the injury in the 'right' spot, treatable, the right vet, and most importantly, the right owners. best of luck to Lucky and his family.
Old 09-04-2007, 08:34 PM
Delaware Park

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danzig
my initial thought was no. then i thought a bit(and remembered a story i read years ago about a pony who became blind, but learned how to move and even jump by listening to his rider-whether or not it was all bullsh!t i don't know, but it was a good story!), and then i read the article. and once more, it has to be on a case by case basis. the right horse, the injury in the 'right' spot, treatable, the right vet, and most importantly, the right owners. best of luck to Lucky and his family.
I agree 100% with your post. I've had two fillies within the last three years that had problems that had very good chances of ending in euthansia. Both fillies have made outstanding show horses and while there were some very bleak times during the course of treatments and aftercare, I'm thankful we stayed the course.
Old 09-04-2007, 08:40 PM
"The Kentucky Killing Machine"

as breeding has nothing to it..lol..new bolton should step up and help...ill wait for them to contact the people...till hell freezes over..
Old 09-04-2007, 08:53 PM
Keeneland

While noble, is trying to save this foal the 'right thing to do' for the horse?[/quote]

Yes. Every animal has a right to a chance at life when brought into the world deliberately by humans. Euthanasia is always a choice along the way.

However it is entirely the decision of the owners. You lay out the options. You help them decide and weigh options. But whatever they decide, you go with.

I've killed easily healable animals because their owners didn't want to spend over $50 on them. I've killed perfectly fine and healthy animals just because nobody wanted them. I've had owners (most) with unlimited commitment, time, budget, love.

Only once have I ever had to tell an owner, who loved their pet, that it was past time to let the animal go. Owners know, and they don't get it wrong.

Nobody outside the owner can judge the owner's decision as to, "too much" or "too little", even though their own personal decision, if it were their own animal, would be different.
"Have the clean racing people run any ads explaining that giving a horse a Starbucks and a chocolate poppyseed muffin for breakfast would likely result in a ten year suspension for the trainer?" - Dr. Andrew Roberts
Old 09-04-2007, 09:00 PM
Flemington

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riot

Nobody outside the owner can judge the owner's decision as to, "too much" or "too little", even though their own personal decision, if it were their own animal, would be different.
This is always my position in this sort of discussion.
Old 09-04-2007, 09:05 PM
Atlantic City Race Course

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riot
Yes. Every animal has a right to a chance at life when brought into the world deliberately by humans. Euthanasia is always a choice along the way.

However it is entirely the decision of the owners. You lay out the options. You help them decide and weigh options. But whatever they decide, you go with.

I've killed easily healable animals because their owners didn't want to spend over $50 on them. I've killed perfectly fine and healthy animals just because nobody wanted them. I've had owners (most) with unlimited commitment, time, budget, love.

Only once have I ever had to tell an owner, who loved their pet, that it was past time to let the animal go. Owners know, and they don't get it wrong.

Nobody outside the owner can judge the owner's decision as to, "too much" or "too little", even though their own personal decision, if it were their own animal, would be different.[/quote]

When I had to make that call (on a sunday) I wanted to make double sure and he just said, "owners know when it's time" I did but I wanted to hear something else.
Old 09-04-2007, 09:35 PM
Keeneland

Quote:
When I had to make that call (on a sunday) I wanted to make double sure and he just said, "owners know when it's time" I did but I wanted to hear something else.
I know. I'm sorry.

Nobody wants to be responsible for choosing that option, for picking the day or hour, for "playing god". I never wanted to with my own pets. It sucks. Owners need permission that it's okay to choose euthanasia, permission to not feel guilt, to know that their decision is indeed recognized as a final gift given to a much-loved animal.

This thread is too depressing now - I'm glad that foal is improving and doing better!
"Have the clean racing people run any ads explaining that giving a horse a Starbucks and a chocolate poppyseed muffin for breakfast would likely result in a ten year suspension for the trainer?" - Dr. Andrew Roberts
Old 10-02-2007, 10:41 AM
Steve Byk

Default Update..

Updated info on the paraplegic foal's progress:

http://www.thehorse.com/ViewArticle.aspx?ID=10493
Old 10-02-2007, 12:08 PM
Havre de Grace

Quote:

Lucky is truly lucky to have such caring people around him. I hope they have continued success with him.
Old 10-02-2007, 02:27 PM
Woodbine

Quote:

Thanks for the update. i hope they have continued success with Lucky.