Derby Trail Forums

Go Back   Derby Trail Forums > Main Forum > Equine Health, Retirement & Aftercare
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 08-26-2007, 06:35 PM
Saratoga

Default Farewell, Indian Flare

Sad news from BH.....

Indian Flare Dies After Ballerina Stakes Injury
by Claire Novak

Indian Flare, trained by Bobby Frankel and owned by Juddmonte Farms, died after apparently fracturing her pelvis in the Aug. 26 running of the Ballerina Stakes (gr. I) at Saratoga Race Course, according to track veterinarian Anthony Verderosa.

"She fractured her pelvis, probably at the break, and died of cardiovascular shock," Verderosa said. "It's not uncommon for a horse to run their race and come back like that."

Jockey Javier Castellano said he found it hard to believe the mare was injured anywhere near the start.

"She broke so good; she ran so well," he said. "I didn't feel anything wrong during the race. She felt tired and I pulled her up, and she felt like she didn't want to walk, so I jumped off. I tried to take off the tongue tie and when I handed her to the groom, she went down. I was really surprised when the vet said she passed away, because they gave her water, gave her attention, everything was so quick, and when I left I thought she was just tired like a normal horse."

Indian Flare led the field of nine through most of the Ballerina, setting early fractions of :22.27 and :44.57 before losing her position to Baroness Thatcher on the far turn. She was sixth at the head of the stretch and faded to last by the wire. After galloping back, the bay mare collapsed near the winners' circle and was removed from the track by equine ambulance after efforts to revive her failed.

Indian Flare, foaled in Kentucky March 12, 2002 by Juddmonte Farms, was a 5-year-old daughter of Cherokee Run out of the Capote mare True Flare. With a lifetime record of 7-5-3 from 20 starts, she raced on the dirt, turf, and over Keeneland's Polytrack surface, and won the Vagrancy Handicap (gr. II) at Belmont Park June 17. Her lifetime earnings amounted to $443,236.
Old 08-26-2007, 06:42 PM
Woodbine

Quote:
Originally Posted by my miss storm cat
Sad news from BH.....

Indian Flare Dies After Ballerina Stakes Injury
by Claire Novak

Indian Flare, trained by Bobby Frankel and owned by Juddmonte Farms, died after apparently fracturing her pelvis in the Aug. 26 running of the Ballerina Stakes (gr. I) at Saratoga Race Course, according to track veterinarian Anthony Verderosa.

"She fractured her pelvis, probably at the break, and died of cardiovascular shock," Verderosa said. "It's not uncommon for a horse to run their race and come back like that."

Jockey Javier Castellano said he found it hard to believe the mare was injured anywhere near the start.

"She broke so good; she ran so well," he said. "I didn't feel anything wrong during the race. She felt tired and I pulled her up, and she felt like she didn't want to walk, so I jumped off. I tried to take off the tongue tie and when I handed her to the groom, she went down. I was really surprised when the vet said she passed away, because they gave her water, gave her attention, everything was so quick, and when I left I thought she was just tired like a normal horse."

Indian Flare led the field of nine through most of the Ballerina, setting early fractions of :22.27 and :44.57 before losing her position to Baroness Thatcher on the far turn. She was sixth at the head of the stretch and faded to last by the wire. After galloping back, the bay mare collapsed near the winners' circle and was removed from the track by equine ambulance after efforts to revive her failed.

Indian Flare, foaled in Kentucky March 12, 2002 by Juddmonte Farms, was a 5-year-old daughter of Cherokee Run out of the Capote mare True Flare. With a lifetime record of 7-5-3 from 20 starts, she raced on the dirt, turf, and over Keeneland's Polytrack surface, and won the Vagrancy Handicap (gr. II) at Belmont Park June 17. Her lifetime earnings amounted to $443,236.
It was very sad. Godspeed Indian Flare...
Old 08-26-2007, 07:21 PM
Dee Tee Stables

that's so sad. rip pretty girl.
Old 08-26-2007, 07:50 PM
Sunshine Park

she was such a beautiful horse!!! if she did fracture her pelvis at the start that shows what a gutsy horse she was to still run her heart out and she left it all on the track......
Old 08-26-2007, 07:54 PM
Keeneland

How terrible! Rest in peace, beautiful girl.
"Have the clean racing people run any ads explaining that giving a horse a Starbucks and a chocolate poppyseed muffin for breakfast would likely result in a ten year suspension for the trainer?" - Dr. Andrew Roberts
Old 08-26-2007, 07:55 PM
Oaklawn

Very odd story indeed. She ran like a horse that ran out of air, not one with a busted pelvis.
Old 08-26-2007, 08:07 PM
Keeneland

Sadly, if she was bleeding due to a fractured pelvis, that process is accelerated when the heart is beating full speed during a race. The blood loss causes loss of oxygenation.

Fortunately, she probably never experienced severe distress.
"Have the clean racing people run any ads explaining that giving a horse a Starbucks and a chocolate poppyseed muffin for breakfast would likely result in a ten year suspension for the trainer?" - Dr. Andrew Roberts
Old 08-26-2007, 08:23 PM
Santa Anita

My condolences to all. Terribly shocking event.
Old 08-26-2007, 08:35 PM
Santa Anita

I remember them commenting on it on TVG as she pulled up. Never occurred to me that I was looking at a horse with a fractured pelvis. She just looked absolutely worn out. Poor girl. And she ran well for awhile there in spite of it all.
Old 08-26-2007, 09:09 PM
Cahokia Downs

She was a lovely mare. Very tragic indeed.
Heartfelt condolences to all of her people.

http://video.nbcsports.com/player/?id=55577
Old 08-26-2007, 09:48 PM
Goodwood

That's an incredible shame. A really nice mare.
Old 08-26-2007, 10:54 PM
Keeneland

RIP... I hate reading this stuff. Too many lost.
Old 08-27-2007, 11:52 AM
Fairgrounds

Very odd, shocking and tragic situation. It just looked like she ran out of steam, I wondered if something was wrong, never dreamed it would be anything like this.
Was anyone there? Did this happen in front of the grandstand or did she make it to the van?
RIP...so sad.
Old 08-27-2007, 02:13 PM
Hollywood Park

RIP dear girl, she truly died trying
Old 08-27-2007, 02:26 PM
Woodbine

Quote:
Originally Posted by FGFan
Very odd, shocking and tragic situation. It just looked like she ran out of steam, I wondered if something was wrong, never dreamed it would be anything like this.
Was anyone there? Did this happen in front of the grandstand or did she make it to the van?
RIP...so sad.
I was there. It was not a pleasent thing to see. It was happend just past the finish line after she turned around less then a 1/16 past the line, and she did not make it onto the van.

It ruined the day for me. It was extrememly sad.

Godspeed...
Old 08-27-2007, 02:33 PM
Fairgrounds

Quote:
Originally Posted by ARyan
I was there. It was not a pleasent thing to see. It was happend just past the finish line after she turned around less then a 1/16 past the line, and she did not make it onto the van.

It ruined the day for me. It was extrememly sad.

Godspeed...
Oh that's just awful on such a fun day. I was hoping it didn't happen that way for everyone involved.
Old 08-27-2007, 03:25 PM
Hail2Reason

Frankel just said she actually bled to death. That is really tough.
Old 08-27-2007, 04:39 PM
Churchill Downs

Thats A shame.... Tough way to go... I even put her in my exacta yesterday...
Gotta Love Horse Racing !!