Derby Trail Forums

Go Back   Derby Trail Forums > Main Forum > Equine Health, Retirement & Aftercare
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 03-10-2007, 04:13 PM
Idlewild Airport

Default Horse Slaughter Revisited

Worth Reading!

Editorial about the merits of it on NYTIMES.

Followed by a letter to the editor by Congressmen supporting a ban.

http://www.nytimes.com/2007/03/05/opinion/05weil.html
http://www.nytimes.com/2007/03/10/opinion/l10horse.html
Old 03-12-2007, 03:56 PM
Atlantic City Race Course

Those were both interesting reads, Randall; thanks for posting the links. Money quote in the first one:

But the fate of less charismatic food animals is also a brutal business. Last year, 150 pigs being shipped from Ohio to a Texas slaughterhouse died after spending up to 72 hours in a truck with no water, food or relief from 95 degree heat. The dispatch of male chicks on an egg farm can be flat-out horrific. The ill treatment of slaughter-bound horses is bad, but it would be worse still if it made us pay less attention to the undue suffering of other food animals.
Old 03-12-2007, 04:05 PM
Idlewild Airport

Glad you liked them Nicole---I didn't know many of the facts about Slaughter---nasty business but like anything else, the key to me is how humane it is. I'd like it gone entirely but is that realistic? No.
Old 03-12-2007, 04:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by randallscott35
Glad you liked them Nicole---I didn't know many of the facts about Slaughter---nasty business but like anything else, the key to me is how humane it is. I'd like it gone entirely but is that realistic? No.
I agree that the best path towards improving things is looking at what is realistic. Animal-rights groups will not likely ever persuade most of America to turn vegetarian, for example, but I bet if they really pushed for more humane conditions for food animals, they could get most people behind them on that. Many European nations have laws in place securing the humane treatment of food animals; I imagine we could follow suit if we really wanted to.
Old 03-12-2007, 04:11 PM
Idlewild Airport

If I ever got money--I'd donate to animal cruelty causes before anything else. Kills me....Except Canadian Geese--my weakness, they should be done away with, but not cruelly.
Old 03-12-2007, 05:16 PM

Quote:
If I ever got money--I'd donate to animal cruelty causes before anything else. Kills me....Except Canadian Geese--my weakness, they should be done away with, but not cruelly.
Yeah, I'm not such a fan of Canada geese, either (Canadian geese would have to be citizens of Canada. I'm sure my 10th grade biology teacher would be so proud of me right now- he was a bit of a birding nut). There are an awful lot of them by the Harlem Meer, and they're messy and nasty. And proliferate very easily. Darn generalists.
Old 03-12-2007, 05:20 PM
top predator.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GenuineRisk
Yeah, I'm not such a fan of Canada geese, either (Canadian geese would have to be citizens of Canada. I'm sure my 10th grade biology teacher would be so proud of me right now- he was a bit of a birding nut). There are an awful lot of them by the Harlem Meer, and they're messy and nasty. And proliferate very easily. Darn generalists.
I am a huge fan of them...but they don't winter up here so we never have the huge groups that are gross and dirty...
Last year my dog chased a pair that had a little gosling...mom and dad jumped in the pond...baby went the other way...after I called off Mrs. P, I caught the little bugger and brought him back to the pond...cutest fuzziest thing
Old 03-12-2007, 06:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by paisjpq
I am a huge fan of them...but they don't winter up here so we never have the huge groups that are gross and dirty...
Last year my dog chased a pair that had a little gosling...mom and dad jumped in the pond...baby went the other way...after I called off Mrs. P, I caught the little bugger and brought him back to the pond...cutest fuzziest thing
Yeah-- for Canada geese, they sure seem to not be a fan of cold weather!

You're lucky the parents didn't go after you- when I played an Australian character at the Prospect Park Zoo I had to keep a Cape Barron Goose company and people would ask me the difference between a duck and a goose. I told them if they chased it it was probably a duck. If it chased them it was probably a goose.

I did love that goose, Lucy. She was a character. She preferred my bottle of chilled water to her own dish of water so she would sit next to me and cough cough cough as though she were just DYING of thirst, until I'd fill my bottle cap with water and give it to her.
Old 03-16-2007, 12:20 PM
pgardn

There are limits on shooting the Canadians here in Texas. They come in massive numbers to the area where a lot of rice is grown (East Texas). They are good to eat. I very much enjoyed my goose hunting experience with them. I did not hunt but identified the birds by binocular so that my partner could shoot the correct type of goose and kill the proper number.

If horses can be killed humanely I see nothing wrong with eating them. Better than letting them starve in some field like is reported time after time all over the country.

I personally could not eat a horse unless I was starving. Same with cats and dogs, but thats my little problem.
Old 03-16-2007, 08:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pgardn
There are limits on shooting the Canadians here in Texas. They come in massive numbers to the area where a lot of rice is grown (East Texas). They are good to eat. I very much enjoyed my goose hunting experience with them. I did not hunt but identified the birds by binocular so that my partner could shoot the correct type of goose and kill the proper number.

If horses can be killed humanely I see nothing wrong with eating them. Better than letting them starve in some field like is reported time after time all over the country.

I personally could not eat a horse unless I was starving. Same with cats and dogs, but thats my little problem.
I was a strict vegetarian for about six years- now I eat meat once in a while (free range or grass-fed, if it's beef) but I did notice that after giving it up, when I came back my opinion on what was acceptable to eat changed- now I don't really see a difference between eating one mammal or another. Horse, dog, cow, pig, rat, rabbit-- what's the difference, really? So, if people want to eat horse, fine. No real difference from beef, other than being healthier for you. Not to mention I think if treating one kind of animal inhumanely is unacceptable to us, it should be unacceptable to treat any animal that way.

Well, maybe I feel differently about eating primates, but that's 'cause they're family.
Old 03-16-2007, 08:55 PM
Keeneland

Quote:

That's just the problem... they're not being killed humanely. And while I agree with the rest of your post (and Genuine's), I think that horses are a bit more intelligent than cows, thus making it all the more frightening for them to wait until it's their turn.
Old 03-16-2007, 08:57 PM
Idlewild Airport

If they were killed humanely it would be a necessary evil...I hate to see dogs and cats euthanized but let's be real, there are too many of them and not enough homes and jerky people don't get them fixed.
Old 03-16-2007, 09:01 PM
Keeneland

Quote:
If they were killed humanely it would be a necessary evil...I hate to see dogs and cats euthanized but let's be real, there are too many of them and not enough homes and jerky people don't get them fixed.
Yep... it's sad. That's why I've rescued all of my pets... not enough homes for the ones that are unwanted.
Old 03-16-2007, 09:16 PM
pgardn

Quote:
Well, maybe I feel differently about eating primates, but that's 'cause they're family.
Nothing like good Spider Monkey. When I was in Borneo, we shot them out of the trees with poison dart frogs. Just stuffed the frogs right down the tube of a 7 foot bamboo cannon and blew the troublesome little tree rats right out of the trees.

Hell broke loose when we fought the intruding Chimpanzee troop for the delicacy. It was our kill. The butler put on a good roast after securing our bounty following a brief but brutal skirmish.

If I misspelled a few words along the way... I think I could be Kentnessish.
Old 03-16-2007, 09:31 PM

Quote:
Nothing like good Spider Monkey. When I was in Borneo, we shot them out of the trees with poison dart frogs. Just stuffed the frogs right down the tube of a 7 foot bamboo cannon and blew the troublesome little tree rats right out of the trees.

Hell broke loose when we fought the intruding Chimpanzee troop for the delicacy. It was our kill. The butler put on a good roast after securing our bounty following a brief but brutal skirmish.

If I misspelled a few words along the way... I think I could be Kentnessish.
You're a brave man. Our genes are too close for my comfort- we can share too many viruses between us. I know zookeepers have to be very careful with macaques because many of them carry Herpes B, which, while harmless to them (just as Herpes A, while annoying, is harmless to humans), is absolutely deadly to humans.
Old 03-16-2007, 09:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cajungator26
That's just the problem... they're not being killed humanely. And while I agree with the rest of your post (and Genuine's), I think that horses are a bit more intelligent than cows, thus making it all the more frightening for them to wait until it's their turn.
I agree with you that it comes down to human slaughter, but even more, humane care while they're being raised. The way pigs are kept is nothing short of barbaric. And intelligence-wise, I'd put them above horses (and dogs, for that matter).
Old 03-16-2007, 09:35 PM

Quote:
I agree with you that it comes down to human slaughter, but even more, humane care while they're being raised. The way pigs are kept is nothing short of barbaric. And intelligence-wise, I'd put them above horses (and dogs, for that matter).
Which reminds me- I read an article in Reader's Digest while I was at the doctor's today about a pet pig that went after a pit bull that threatened her young boy owner. The pit bull was shot, but not before tearing up the pig pretty badly. She survived, though.
Old 03-16-2007, 09:44 PM
Keeneland

Quote:
That's why I said cows. LOL

We used to have two pot bellied pigs out at the barn... boy were they cute and SMART. They were escape artists...
Old 03-16-2007, 10:35 PM
pgardn

Quote:
You're a brave man. Our genes are too close for my comfort- we can share too many viruses between us. I know zookeepers have to be very careful with macaques because many of them carry Herpes B, which, while harmless to them (just as Herpes A, while annoying, is harmless to humans), is absolutely deadly to humans.
Well I know Zookeepers who have been stomped to death by Elephants. And I know Beekeepers. Know them well, on a first name basis. I think I one upped her.

No actually I agree. Our little primate brethren, while amusing in their anthropomorphic buffoonery, are quite dirtly little Bstrds from a viral point of view. Just think if we actually raised them on a massive basis as we do Birds and Pigs (thank you Asia). We could have a monkey-bird-swine flu that would wipe out the Christian South. Scuds would like that.
Old 03-17-2007, 09:26 AM

Quote:
Well I know Zookeepers who have been stomped to death by Elephants. And I know Beekeepers. Know them well, on a first name basis. I think I one upped her.

No actually I agree. Our little primate brethren, while amusing in their anthropomorphic buffoonery, are quite dirtly little Bstrds from a viral point of view. Just think if we actually raised them on a massive basis as we do Birds and Pigs (thank you Asia). We could have a monkey-bird-swine flu that would wipe out the Christian South. Scuds would like that.
I prefer to think they're not so much "dirty" as "similar" (though yes, they are awfully messy. So are we, though). In fact, the main theory on AIDS is that it hopped from primates to people, isn't that right? And the primate version is relatively harmless to primates? Or is my info years out of date?

Cajun, I bet those pigs were way cute. We have two at the zoo, Otis and Oliver. I don't like them the way I loved one of the pigs we had some years back, Tallulah. All black with four pink "booties" and if she thought you would stay with her longer than 20 seconds she rolled over on her back so you could scratch her belly. Oh, I loved her.