Derby Trail Forums

Go Back   Derby Trail Forums > The Charles Hatton Reading Room
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 12-22-2009, 06:05 PM
Flemington

Default The Decades Most Under Appreciated Race

My vote would go to a race that still isn't even on Youtube - the 2001 Adirondack Stakes.

2-year-old female sprinters aren't exactly the kind of horses that attact a lot of attention from casual racing fans... but perhaps the two best of the entire decade met up in the '01 Adirondack at Saratoga .. and both of them ran a mind-boggling race while both fairly fresh off of monumental trainer changes.

* You - RNA'd for just $9,000 as a yearling and came from the Rachel Alexandra connections (Bred by Dolphus Morrison, trained by Hal Wiggins, ridden by Calvin Borel) -- she scored a fast debut win at 9/1 odds in a maiden claiming race.

Was 2nd to Cashier's Dream in an alw race over a slow muddy track that came back MIND-BOGGLINGLY fast. After those 2 starts - she was bought by Ed Gann and recieved a giant trainer change from Hal Wiggins to Bobby Frankel. Frankel moved everything up at an alarming rate at that time.

* Cashier's Dream - was a Michigan bred filly trained by a guy who at the time was mainly a River Downs trainer - and is now mainly a Pinnacle trainer. Both the sire and dam of Cashier's Dream raced at the old Detroit Race Course.

Cashier's Dream won her debut in hand - at 43/1 odds in a maiden claimer at Churchill. Jumped up and beat You in a wickedly fast alw race in just her 2nd start. She was bought up by Team Valor and Heiligbrodt and transferred into the barn of Steve Asmussen. A fairly big positive trainer move.

Cashier's Dream won her Asmussen debut in the Debutante and set a track record at Churchill that still stands today. The Adirondack would be her 2nd start for Assmussen - and it would be You's first start for Frankel.

* In the Adirondack - Cashier's Dream and You ripped through fractions of 21.65, 44.62, 1:08.71 and battle down to the wire for 6.5 furlongs in 1:15 flat. You just edging by late.

The 3rd place finisher - a future Grade 2 stakes winner - was beaten 16 lengths. Smok'n Frolic .. a future 6 time Graded Stakes winning millionaire was beaten 21 lengths. The top two just obliterated the field.

The Beyer came back 107 - an absolutely insane figure for a 2-year-old filly in the summer. By comparison, 2-yo champions Storm Song and Folklore both won the Adirondack with Beyers in the mid 70's.

Cashier's Dream returned to easily take the Grade 1 Spinaway in her next start. Her winning Beyer in that race remains 3 points faster than Flanders for fastest in the Spinaway's history. You beat CD again in the Frizette and CD was laid off for a while after that race.

Cashier's Dream won her return in the La Troienne on Derby week as a 3yo - winning a sprint battle with Shameful - the dam of another good female sprinter in Indian Blessing. You is the only horse who ever finished ahead of Cashier's Dream in a race.

You eventually became a 4 time Grade 1 winner.

Two tremendously precocious overachievers for very shabby trainers fell into the right barns and got their teeth cleaned up really good by two of the best trainers - the result was not only two of the greatest individual performances in the history of summer time 2yo filly sprint racing ... but also an exciting and absolutely epic horse race from start to finish.

Old 12-22-2009, 06:47 PM
Flemington

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Indomitable DrugS
Cashier's Dream and You ripped through fractions of 21.65, 44.62, 1:08.71 and battle down to the wire for 6.5 furlongs in 1:15 flat.
I forgot to mention ... that very same day at Saratoga ... a 4-year-old male named Left Bank won by 8 and ran six furlongs in 1:08.53

Basically .. a mid-summer 2yo filly (Cashier's Dream) posted a 1:08.71 six furlong fractional clocking in a 6.5f race, the same day a soon to be champion older male needed 1:08.53 to crush in a 6f race.

Two races later, Left Bank beat next out BC Sprint winner Squirtle Squirt with a 118 Beyer going 7fs.

Left Bank's finest moment came in the Whitney at Saratoga the following year. He shed the sprinters label and held off Street Cry in a 121 Beyer victory.

Cashier's Dream might not be remember as anything other than possibly the best Michigan bred of all-time ... but she was a crazy fast sprinter for Assman. I'm 99.9% sure she still holds the CD track record for 5.5f
Old 12-22-2009, 07:08 PM
Steve Byk

Wow Dougie.. I remember Cashier's Dream. There's a horse I haven't thought about or heard mentioned in forever... Cool choice.
Old 12-22-2009, 07:13 PM
Randwyck

Great race. I actually got to witness that race in person...definitely one I'll never forget.
Old 12-22-2009, 07:58 PM
Belmont Park

Quote:
My vote would go to a race that still isn't even on Youtube - the 2001 Adirondack Stakes.

2-year-old female sprinters aren't exactly the kind of horses that attact a lot of attention from casual racing fans... but perhaps the two best of the entire decade met up in the '01 Adirondack at Saratoga .. and both of them ran a mind-boggling race while both fairly fresh off of monumental trainer changes.

* You - RNA'd for just $9,000 as a yearling and came from the Rachel Alexandra connections (Bred by Dolphus Morrison, trained by Hal Wiggins, ridden by Calvin Borel) -- she scored a fast debut win at 9/1 odds in a maiden claiming race.

Was 2nd to Cashier's Dream in an alw race over a slow muddy track that came back MIND-BOGGLINGLY fast. After those 2 starts - she was bought by Ed Gann and recieved a giant trainer change from Hal Wiggins to Bobby Frankel. Frankel moved everything up at an alarming rate at that time.

* Cashier's Dream - was a Michigan bred filly trained by a guy who at the time was mainly a River Downs trainer - and is now mainly a Pinnacle trainer. Both the sire and dam of Cashier's Dream raced at the old Detroit Race Course.

Cashier's Dream won her debut in hand - at 43/1 odds in a maiden claimer at Churchill. Jumped up and beat You in a wickedly fast alw race in just her 2nd start. She was bought up by Team Valor and Heiligbrodt and transferred into the barn of Steve Asmussen. A fairly big positive trainer move.

Cashier's Dream won her Asmussen debut in the Debutante and set a track record at Churchill that still stands today. The Adirondack would be her 2nd start for Assmussen - and it would be You's first start for Frankel.

* In the Adirondack - Cashier's Dream and You ripped through fractions of 21.65, 44.62, 1:08.71 and battle down to the wire for 6.5 furlongs in 1:15 flat. You just edging by late.

The 3rd place finisher - a future Grade 2 stakes winner - was beaten 16 lengths. Smok'n Frolic .. a future 6 time Graded Stakes winning millionaire was beaten 21 lengths. The top two just obliterated the field.

The Beyer came back 107 - an absolutely insane figure for a 2-year-old filly in the summer. By comparison, 2-yo champions Storm Song and Folklore both won the Adirondack with Beyers in the mid 70's.

Cashier's Dream returned to easily take the Grade 1 Spinaway in her next start. Her winning Beyer in that race remains 3 points faster than Flanders for fastest in the Spinaway's history. You beat CD again in the Frizette and CD was laid off for a while after that race.

Cashier's Dream won her return in the La Troienne on Derby week as a 3yo - winning a sprint battle with Shameful - the dam of another good female sprinter in Indian Blessing. You is the only horse who ever finished ahead of Cashier's Dream in a race.

You eventually became a 4 time Grade 1 winner.

Two tremendously precocious overachievers for very shabby trainers fell into the right barns and got their teeth cleaned up really good by two of the best trainers - the result was not only two of the greatest individual performances in the history of summer time 2yo filly sprint racing ... but also an exciting and absolutely epic horse race from start to finish.

It was at 6.5 at SPA the time is debatable.. The real time could be anything
Old 12-22-2009, 08:03 PM
Idlewild Airport

Oh the glory days of juicing in racing.
Old 12-22-2009, 11:05 PM
Hollywood Park

I'll offer the 2001 Jim Dandy Stakes at Saratoga. Congaree, Gary Stevens up, with millions in bridge jumper cash, was the heavy fav. Longshot Free Of Love took the lead to the 1/2 mile. Then Congaree forged to the front to the audible relief of the big crowd. Suddenly he faltered and Free Of Love retook the lead on the far turn. The crowd gasped in disbelief. At the top of the stretch Congaree has all he could do to stay in touch with Free Of Love. Incredibly, with 100 yards to the wire D. Wayne Lucas' Scorpion , Jerry Bailey piloting, raced by both front runners to clip Free Of Love at the wire . Congaree struggled to hang on to show in a gut wrenching race for the bridge jumpers. It was a stunning Lucas shocker.

this classic just made youtube
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nDcnEeCvNhk
Old 12-22-2009, 11:10 PM
The Curragh

I think it is fair to say the 7lbs helped YOU get by cashier's dream.
Old 12-22-2009, 11:12 PM
Flemington

I needed Free of Love really bad in that race. Did you have to try and subject me to that again? I won't even click the link.

That was such a painful loss.

It was certainly a very wild race to watch ... but really, Congaree didn't perform well and was sidelined with an injury right after that race. Free of Love - while a sharp Rick Violette horse at the time - wasn't a whole lot and Scorpion stunk.
Old 12-22-2009, 11:15 PM
Flemington

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kasept
Wow Dougie.. I remember Cashier's Dream. There's a horse I haven't thought about or heard mentioned in forever... Cool choice.
I didn't remember that Cashier's Dream died just a month after her comeback race as a 3yo when she won the La Troienne over Indian Blessing's dam.

Found this write up on the Team Valor website about her:

Quote:
She confirmed her brilliance in her next start, when she failed by a neck to hold off subsequent multiple Grade 1-winning You in the Grade 2 Adirondack Stakes. Final time of 1:15 is the fastest time ever run by a 2-year-old of any sex and the fastest for the distance at Saratoga since Affirmed ran 1:15 2/5 to win the Grade 1 Hopeful Stakes in 1977. Cashier’s Dream had to give 7 pounds in weight to the winner, prompting more than one seasoned veteran to remark that on sheer handicapping Cashier’s Dream had run a better race than the winner.

Daily Racing Form columnist Joe Hirsch, who has been covering Saratoga since the 1940s, described the Adirondack as one of the greatest races in the history of The Spa.

Cashier’s Dream next won the Grade 1 Spinaway Stakes by 8 lengths. The quality of the race was confirmed when the hopelessly beaten runner-up came back to win 3 of her next 4 outings, including the Tempted and Demoiselle Stakes by several lengths.

At age three, she returned to her home track, Churchill Downs and won the Grade 3 La Troienne S. in her only start of the year. Tragically, Cashier's Dream died of colic a month later, at age 3, at the height of her career.
Old 12-22-2009, 11:44 PM
Flemington

Quote:
Originally Posted by randallscott35
Oh the glory days of juicing in racing.
It was certainly a time when bettors seemed to suddenly become very skeptical about a select few trainers.

Cashier's Dream died less than a year after that epic bout with You. Carson Hollow died just a year after her great race with You in the Test.

Asmussen and Dutrow. Both had non-racing or training related deaths.

The year Cashier's Dream died was the same year Pletcher had the trio of Freedom's Daughter, Warners, and Left Bank all run absolutely huge at Saratoga within 2 weeks of each other and all get sick and drop dead.

It probably was all just coincidence .. but I know the Pletcher trio looked REALLY bad.

All 3 of them running their eyes out in spectacular performances. Truly at their peak ... and like that you read they're fighting for their life - and none win that fight.

Come to think of it - Asmussen wasn't a big target yet at that time - but Dutrow and Pletcher sure were.
Old 12-23-2009, 12:17 AM
v j stauffer

One of my favorites was Read The Footnotes in the Fountain of Youth.
Old 12-23-2009, 12:56 AM
Suffolk Downs

You mentioned that Test Stakes.....You and Carson Hollow.

I believe that you can recall all of the greatest races you ever saw, and there will always be greater races in import that the Test Stakes of 2002, but the fact is that the 2002 Test Stakes is one of the most revered and treasured stakes races of all time.

It's been 7 years since that Saratoga day, and it's still like it was yesterday. You won that race, but it really didn't matter. The 2002 Test Stakes was a race for the ages, and it may very well be one of the most remembered races of all time.
Old 12-23-2009, 01:09 AM
Goodwood

Quote:
I needed Free of Love really bad in that race. Did you have to try and subject me to that again? I won't even click the link.

That was such a painful loss.

It was certainly a very wild race to watch ... but really, Congaree didn't perform well and was sidelined with an injury right after that race. Free of Love - while a sharp Rick Violette horse at the time - wasn't a whole lot and Scorpion stunk.
That was lovely.

You know who lost out huge on that race as well, he needed that g1 win from FOL.

I got whining in stereo for a week.
Old 12-23-2009, 05:18 AM
Steve Byk

In view of its' 5 year anniversary, I'll throw an under-appreciated into the ring:

2004 MALIBU

Rock Hard Ten
Lava Man
Harvard Avenue (Whom I loved and bet at 22-1)
Perfect Moon

All 4 within a length at the wire...

Mass Media (Beaten favorite 5th!)
Old 12-23-2009, 08:24 AM
Flemington

Another absolutely epic race that I couldn't find on YouTube is the 2001 Bing Crosby at Del Mar.

Kona Gold over Caller One over Swept Overboard.

Here's a pretty good sprint though ... Swept Overboard putting an end to Kona Gold's streak of 7 straight Graded Stakes wins (a nose short of 9 straight Graded Stakes wins going into this race)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a-y314oJ9QM

Swept O got his pace setup and ran a 122 Beyer that race. Kona Gold was good in defeat - carrying 127lbs (11lbs more than a future blowout Met Mile winner in SO)
Old 12-23-2009, 08:56 AM
Woodbine

The 2002 Diana (with Tate's Creek winning by a nose) on the same card as the You/Carson Hollow Test was not too shabby either.
Old 12-23-2009, 09:02 AM
Flemington

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kasept
In view of its' 5 year anniversary, I'll throw an under-appreciated into the ring:

2004 MALIBU

Rock Hard Ten
Lava Man
Harvard Avenue (Whom I loved and bet at 22-1)
Perfect Moon

All 4 within a length at the wire...

Mass Media (Beaten favorite 5th!)
Personally I prefer Mizzen Mast's Malibu.
Old 12-23-2009, 09:05 AM
Idlewild Airport

Gander's 2001 Med Cup

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2syXc2Lnq3M
Old 12-23-2009, 09:09 AM
Santa Anita

DrugS, how is that you made about 200 posts talking about the unreliable times at 6.5 furlongs at Saratoga, then you do a whole thread extolling the virtues of a 6.5 furlong race at Saratoga based mostly on time?

Not only that, when Freddy tries to point this out, you respond to EVERY OTHER REPLY in the thread, but conveniently ignore his.