Derby Trail Forums

Go Back   Derby Trail Forums > Stakes Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 08-01-2011, 12:24 AM
Oriental Park

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seattleallstar View Post
hehe Coil almost won by the same margin as his dad did.
I think Shackleford lost by almost the same margin his dad did.
Old 08-01-2011, 01:46 AM
Suffolk Downs

Baffert is 5 for 5 now in the Haskell starting with Point Given.

2001 Point Given
2002 War Emblem
2006 Roman Ruler
2010 Lookin At Lucky
2011 Coil

And he finished 2nd with Captain Steve in 2000. His influence on this race is even more amazing this year when you consider that he trained the sires of the first three finishers, two of which won the Haskell themselves.

Coil by Point Given
Shackleford by Forestry
Ruler On Ice by Roman Ruler

The white-haired boy just simply owns this race.
Old 08-01-2011, 08:37 AM
Atlantic City Race Course

So Shackleford is a game motherf-er, Ruler on Ice is probably not wholly awful, and Coil is blossoming late. Fair conclusion?
Old 08-01-2011, 09:08 AM
Flemington

I think the interesting thing about Coil yesterday was how he came from last to win the race. In his prior starts he has always been on or close to the lead. Baffert took the blinkers off, I'm guessing he didn't want to have to duel with Shack on the lead. Although I don't think that was the ideal gameplan for him (being absolutely last), it worked out perfectly. He was able to make a run on the good part of the track (which seemed to be pretty fair yesterday, with exception to the rail which looked pretty dead) in route to a very nice win. I think Baffert deserves a lot of credit for the equipment change in this case.
As far as Ruler on Ice goes, I just think he was the fresh horse and liked the slop at Belmont that day.
Old 08-01-2011, 09:19 AM
Saratoga

Quote:
Originally Posted by slotdirt View Post
So Shackleford is a game motherf-er, Ruler on Ice is probably not wholly awful, and Coil is blossoming late. Fair conclusion?
That is exactly what I thought. Shackleford ran his ass off yesterday.

If I could bet one horse to win the BC Classic right now, it would be Coil (if I could get 20/1)

I'd like to see Baffert send Coil to Saratoga now instead of shipping back to California. I think he would run a better race in the Travers if he did this, but I guessing trying to play trainer with one of his horses is pretty stupid considering how unbelievable he is.
Old 08-01-2011, 09:30 AM
Saratoga

Four things I think after Haskell

1. Shackleford is one courageous SOB that gives it everything all the time. If I were the connections I would focus on the Mile where I think he can be a superstar.

2. Coil, Last to First at Monmouth Park pretty much says it all. Now all we need to see is another strong Dirt effort so we can dismiss yesterday as a First Time Syn to Dirt bump.

3. Ruler on Ice shows that Belmont wasn't a fluke and I think he is a strong contender going forward and a Travers win wouldn't be far fetched.

4. Until I am proven otherwise I am considering 3 year olds winning preps at the Fairgrounds over the winter auto tosses elsewhere.
Old 08-01-2011, 10:39 AM
Del Mar

The problem for Shackleford is that, for some reason, we don't really have a mile division in this country besides a few races. I can't decide if the King's Bishop is too sharp for him and I sort of doubt they'll send him there.
Old 08-01-2011, 10:52 AM
The Curragh

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockey2315 View Post
The problem for Shackleford is that, for some reason, we don't really have a mile division in this country besides a few races. I can't decide if the King's Bishop is too sharp for him and I sort of doubt they'll send him there.
Just talking Woodward on ATR. Seems like a good fit.
Old 08-01-2011, 01:18 PM
Hollywood Park

www.thoroughbredreport.com Greg Brandow