Derby Trail Forums

Go Back   Derby Trail Forums > Main Forum > The Paddock
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 07-05-2010, 10:49 PM
Randwyck

Quote:
Originally Posted by 10 pnt move up View Post
While I do think that would help, wonder how many people would drop out of the the game?

How do you pay the bills for 7 day a week training when there are 26 or so races run?
You take the money from the other two days of racing and pump up the purses and most likely you could fill more than 9 races a day.

Horses are like strawberries....they can go bad overnight. Charlie Whittingham
Old 07-06-2010, 11:12 AM
Oriental Park

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cannon Shell View Post
I'm not sure I follow the logic? If they dropped a few days they could run more races on the days that they did run. And since they seem to be having trouble with filling races wouldnt reducing the number of races seem logical? How many horses that want to run arent getting a chance to?
They can run right now about 32-38 races a week. I dont see how dropping days and running 12-12-12 does anything for anyone, it would be a wash.

If they did sat and sun and ran 16....you would still not see full fields for very long as everyone would be gone.
Old 07-06-2010, 11:13 AM
Oriental Park

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honu View Post
You take the money from the other two days of racing and pump up the purses and most likely you could fill more than 9 races a day.
Dont see it......not sure that will do all that much for handle, it would help but so they go from 8 mil to 10 mil handle. They dont have the margin for a Monmouth type growth.
Old 07-06-2010, 11:17 AM
Oriental Park

Quote:
Originally Posted by philcski View Post
I don't know for sure. Probably the cost of stabling a horse in California, the surface issues, and no opportunity to poach runners from other circuits since they're basically on an island. People are still betting the product which means there could still be life.

If I were a trainer, though, that's where I'd want to be (if they went back to dirt.)
They have always been an island.

The reason the model does not work if you are an owner is the cost, the gov in socal has some many regulations to meet the cost is ridiculous, its not the labor.

There is very little incentive to me to have a big stable in socal. People still bet the brand name.

Dirt or no dirt has little affect on this, problem started about 1990ish.
Old 07-06-2010, 01:44 PM
Randwyck

Quote:
Originally Posted by 10 pnt move up View Post
Dont see it......not sure that will do all that much for handle, it would help but so they go from 8 mil to 10 mil handle. They dont have the margin for a Monmouth type growth.
Well the only way to find out is try it.

Horses are like strawberries....they can go bad overnight. Charlie Whittingham