Derby Trail Forums

Go Back   Derby Trail Forums > Dee Tee Stables
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 08-26-2007, 08:18 PM
The Curragh

Just got back home from fun day at Saratoga. Thanks to Steve for his continued hospitality (and chow).

I really think the fact that purchased and campaigned a 3YO period, is a tremendous accomplishment. The fact that she came from where she did and held her own against the class she did is really remarkable.

For us the partnership has been a real blast so far. Big thanks to Chuck, Steve and rest of team.

Looking forward to Sumwon's 4YO season and well as 07-02 and hopefully 07-03...
Old 08-26-2007, 08:28 PM
Oriental Park

You bought a horse for around 20k who was live to win a Saratoga allowance race, TWICE. She was odds on at Arlington, and runs huge for the 50 ball at Churchill, thats a very good purchase. They dont always run well, sooner or later they get their head jerked off. Today was her day to get her head jerked off.

15k gets 2 runs at Toga, 1 run at Keeneland, 1 at CHD, 1 at Arlington Park. This from a filly who was running for 15k and getting drilled at Mountaineer. Not too bad.
Old 08-26-2007, 08:54 PM
Suffolk Downs

Just got back from the barn & she's eating up well,seemed tired but not out of it.She was happy to see everyone,she's an attention hog for sure.SWLY didn't seem to be favoring her right front that she grabbed & all things considered was doing well.No mints though they had to pad a metal latch because she develops a bad habit of grabbing at it.Now that the dog days are over maybe we all can take it a bit easy & maybe the see everyone in the BIG EASY.
Old 08-26-2007, 08:54 PM
Sunshine Park

We were at the race live; we all wondered why she jstopped running . Cherie said she stepped on her own foot. We went to the barn she was eating well and seems fine. Will be back at the barn tomorrow.
Old 08-26-2007, 10:42 PM
Hialeah Park

Just curious, if she kicked her foot while Ramon was trying to get her to change leads could that make it even tougher down the line to get her to change leads?
Old 08-27-2007, 01:35 AM
Gulfstream Park

sorry things didnt go well today=( well shes getting a much deserved rest, shes run hard and been shipped all over the place. have no idea whatya guys got planned but a return to training over the winter@TP?

PWNED
Old 08-27-2007, 07:45 AM
Hollywood Park

Quote:
Originally Posted by SniperSB23
Just curious, if she kicked her foot while Ramon was trying to get her to change leads could that make it even tougher down the line to get her to change leads?

My thoughts exactly. She tried and got a pretty negative reinforcement in her attempt. Maybe the time off will let this fade from her memory and she will do it easily in the morning and maybe even try it during a race.
Old 08-27-2007, 08:48 AM
Flemington

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cannon Shell
Sumwon has been asking for a vacation and I guess it is time that we gave one to her. She came out of the race with a pretty good grab on her foot but I dont know if it had anything to do with her finish or not. Though the race was not ideal as far as distance or competition, we bought her to race and being that she was headed to pasture win or lose, it seemed like a good spot to try something different. She broke sharp and was close to pace on her own. I had told Ramon that she always breaks sharp and try to place her where she is comfortable. She was sitting off the pace in reasonable fractions and I thought we were in good shape entering the turn. But she had no real response when asked for something approaching the 1/4 pole. While she did not change leads once again, Ramon said that she warmed up great and felt fine during the race and pulling up but she had no try in her once the horses started passing her. He smacked her a few times to try to get her to change leads but she never would.

I did not scope her because there is no real reason to. If I believed that there was a problem than I would have. She is going to the farm at the end of the week and will stay there until December 1st or thereabouts. I actually have not decided where she is going yet as my place is not yet ready for turnouts. She is a little tired physically and probably a little weary of being in a 12 x 12 stall too. When bringing her back this winter, I expect her to be a bit stronger as she matures into a 4 year old.

Once again it was great seeing all the people who were able to get out to the races. I hope to see many more of you in the coming months in KY and New Orleans over the winter. I also may have a small group of horses at Tampa but nothing is for sure yet.

Steve and I are grateful that everyone has been so supportive through the entire process despite some tough outings and narrow defeats. It has been a pleasurable experience for us both in dealing with so many new people who have never owned or thought that they could own a horse that races in the "big leagues". Hopefully we have helped you understand some of the 'ins and outs' of horse ownership and had a lot of fun in the process.
CS
Thanks Chuck for all you have done!
Old 08-27-2007, 09:06 AM
Churchill Downs

Quote:
Originally Posted by kelster
We were at the race live; we all wondered why she jstopped running . Cherie said she stepped on her own foot. We went to the barn she was eating well and seems fine. Will be back at the barn tomorrow.

She seemed to be moving her front legs in the starting gate, waiting for the eight to load, and unload, and put a blanket on & re-load... Not sure if she may of hit the leg before the start ?
Gotta Love Horse Racing !!
Old 08-27-2007, 09:15 AM
Churchill Downs

I too want to thank Chuck, Steve & his fine crew for the fun ride this three year old filly has given to all of us. Could you really ask for more ?... [ except a winners circle picture ] Being the post time fav @ two MAJOR league tracks & having the heart of a champion. After all we all have taken OUR summer vacations, now its time for her to take her vacation & come back even stronger & wiser for the next challenge. Thanks again for EVERYONE'S efforts in bring the Sport of Kings to us common people !
Btw.. with all the talk of peppermints.. Would the Next name for a DT stable filly be......... Peppermint Patty ?
Gotta Love Horse Racing !!
Old 08-27-2007, 11:39 AM
Hippodrome Bluebonnets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danzig
that's my mike the tiger nod. i was just waiting for after the race today to put him up.
it's football season!!! yay!!
have you heard if they found a new mike since the last one past away earlier this year.
geaux tigers!!!

thursday night espn
Old 08-27-2007, 11:51 AM
Saratoga

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArlJim78
good of him to wrap up on her late, i agree, but of course he knew she had nothing left.
what i don't get at all is the tactics that were used, why put her into a speed duel? I fully expected that as a router shortening up that she would be coming from off the pace, and try to rally from mid pack. why was she setting fast fractions along with horses that were being really hustled from the gate? she didn't figure to be able to wire that field at six furlongs.
Agree with you on both points, great that he wrapped her up. However, the one thing that guaranteed a loss here was being right on the pace. I only got to watch the replay at the track, but it did not look to me like she was forcing Dominguez' hand so that he had to have a choke hold on her, looked more like he put her in that nonsensical position. I look forward to Willie getting back on her, he seems to really get along well with her.

Chuck and Steve, thank you once again. The day was great despite the results and there is no more gracious host than Steve Byk. Chuck keep up the great work, 8 months ago I could never imagined owning part of a throughbred that ran at Saratoga, what a thrill it is to just have this opportunity at this point of my life. It was great meeting some of the DTer's yesterday and look forward to doing it again in the future.
Old 08-27-2007, 09:32 PM
Dee Tee Stables

Quote:
Originally Posted by deltagulf
have you heard if they found a new mike since the last one past away earlier this year.
geaux tigers!!!

thursday night espn
yes they did. peta tried to get them not to have a live mascot. um, yeah.

check this out:
by karen gros
The search for a new Bengal tiger mascot for Louisiana State University is over, according to a statement from the school made earlier this week. The new mascot will be coming from Great Cats of Indiana and meets all of the strict requirements set forth by the University's Vet School for mascot selection, as well as requirements by the USDA. Great Cats of Indiana is a non-profit rescue facility for large animals located in Idaville, Indiana.

The Bengal cat selected by LSU is a 2-year-old male tiger. He will become Mike VI after a two week quarantine period that is required for health and safety reasons. The new Bengal tiger will arrive on campus sometime in August, 2007. A specific date will not be announced to the public, as they want the actual arrival date and quarantine process to be as least stressful on the animal as possible. Once the new Bengal tiger comes out of quarantine and passes all the health requirements, he will be presented to the University as Mike VI. The time frame will likely be just in time for the first opening home football game on September 8, 2007 against Virginia Tech.

The Bengal tiger mascot will be cared for by Dr. David Baker, a veterinarian from the LSU Vet School, who has been caring for previous mascots on campus.

Mike VI will reside in a natural habitat on campus next to the Pete Maravich Assembly Center that cost $3 million to build. Funds were contributed in part by the "I Like Mike" campaign to raise funds for building the new facility. It consists of free space to roam, a waterfall, a stream for swimming built with rocks all around it, trees, natural plants, grassy areas, and a den to sleep in. The entire enclosure is covered with a stainless steel mesh for protection and added security. You will be drawn to the Tower, which stands majestically at 60 ft. tall. It can be seen from surrounding areas and marks the home of the beloved mascot on campus. The total area is over 15,000 square feet. It is one of the finest facilities built for tiger habitation in the United States with state-of-the-art technology. The Tiger Athletic Foundation is responsible for maintaining the facility.

The previous mascot, Mike V, died on May 15, 2007 of renal failure. He was 17 years old and will be remembered as one of the best mascots in Tiger history.