Derby Trail Forums

Go Back   Derby Trail Forums > Sports Bar & Grill
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 07-07-2008, 11:17 AM
Hialeah Park

Default Favre...gimme a break

Obviously been reading all the Favre news lately with mixed emotions, but this is getting ridiculous. As much as I can admire him as a player and most of the time as a person, enough is enough. Ted Thompson and the Packers in general should not be taking any heat for this and are being put in an impossible position through no fault of their own. Even Brett's best ass-kisser, Peter King tells it like it is in this column.

You know..if he really wants to go play in the dome for the Vi-queens...go for it. The way you have handled the last 4 months, and the way you handled the last 3 offseasons was a joke. You are respected as much as anyone, but enough is enough.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/200...vre/index.html
Old 07-07-2008, 04:23 PM
Saratoga

do you really think he will play for the Vikings? I never in a million years think that this would happen. Although, I never thought Jordan would play anywhere but the Bulls, and he tried to play in Washington......
Old 07-07-2008, 04:54 PM
Hialeah Park

If he returns, my respect for the man plummets. He has to know that his decision to retire did not only affect him, but his family, his franchise and fans.

He's had a great career. He should leave it that way. Does he really think he's going to go out like Elway, on top??
"A person who saw no important difference between the fire outside a Neandrathal's cave and a working thermo-nuclear reactor might tell you that junk bonds and derivatives BOTH serve to energize capital"

- Nathan Israel
Old 07-07-2008, 05:07 PM
Coach Pants

It was a real dumb move to retire and he knows it now. The Packers are a contender. Why he wanted to retire after the season they had is beyond me.
Old 07-07-2008, 05:10 PM
Churchill Downs

I understand if he retires...he lose's his Wranglers gig......
Gotta Love Horse Racing !!
Old 07-07-2008, 05:11 PM
Atlantic City Race Course

The Packers were counting the days til Favre retired. They have been wanting him gone for the past few years. Of course, they couldn't publicly come out and say that but that's what they've wanted. They've been wanting to move on but how could they force Favre out of Green Bay? And he still wanted to play so a split was difficult. I just have a gut feeling that this "retirement" and the possible comeback with another team were ways for the two parties to part company without anyone looking like the bad guy.
Manila, Java Gold, Alysheba, Sunday Silence, Go for Wand, In Excess, Paseana, Kotashaan, Holy Bull, Cigar, Alphabet Soup, Formal Gold, Skip Away, Artax, Tiznow, Point Given, Azeri, Candy Ride, Smarty Jones, Ghostzapper, Invasor, Curlin, Zenyatta, Zenyatta, Goldikova, Havre de Grace, Wise Dan, Wise Dan, California Chrome, American Pharoah, Arrogate, Gun Runner, Accelerate, Maximum Security, Gamine
Old 07-07-2008, 05:19 PM
Hialeah Park

Isnt he under contract with the Pack?? So, if he does return, the franchise that has been 'wanting him gone for the past few years' will have to deal him or make AaRod wait another year.

I liked the way Rodgers commanded that offense when he was given the shot.
"A person who saw no important difference between the fire outside a Neandrathal's cave and a working thermo-nuclear reactor might tell you that junk bonds and derivatives BOTH serve to energize capital"

- Nathan Israel
Old 07-07-2008, 05:25 PM
Oaklawn

I heard he was going to the Redskins. He's the only thing left that Snyder can try that won't work.
Old 07-07-2008, 07:36 PM
Arlington Park

i heard earlier on espn radio that his agent may file reinstatement papers with the nfl as soon as tomorrow. the packers then have to A- take him back. B-release him. C-trade him away.
IF i were the packers front office, i'd either trade him or release him. it's time to move on.
Old 07-07-2008, 08:33 PM
Hialeah Park

Quote:
Originally Posted by King Glorious
The Packers were counting the days til Favre retired. They have been wanting him gone for the past few years. Of course, they couldn't publicly come out and say that but that's what they've wanted. They've been wanting to move on

What they wanted was to not have it drag out until April again. If he had stated after the Giants game.."OK..One more Year..Let's go for it"..Outside of MAYBE Aaron Rodgers, there would have been no disapointment in that organization. How could there be after the year he just had?

but how could they force Favre out of Green Bay? And he still wanted to play so a split was difficult. I just have a gut feeling that this "retirement" and the possible comeback with another team were ways for the two parties to part company without anyone looking like the bad guy.

Well...that sure backfired

PS..I gotta' learn how to split answer posts
Old 07-08-2008, 08:56 AM
Woodbine

This is like trying to break up with your girlfriend that just won't go away. She was once the best you ever had, but now you just want to move on and get away, but she keeps calling.

I enjoyed everything brett gave the packers, but it is time to move on. He is screwing the pack and himself. He may be mentally ill or he just can't handle not having the attention. This has been going on now for 3 years and we all got over it this year. I can respect that he still feels that he wants to play as an athlete, but it will not be with the packers. If he files his paperwork I think the only choice the packers have is to release him.
Old 07-08-2008, 09:03 AM
Goodwood

What would his return do to the Pack's cap number?
Old 07-08-2008, 09:05 AM
Woodbine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigsmc
What would his return do to the Pack's cap number?

$12 million, they have room for it; but that is a lot of $
Old 07-08-2008, 09:25 AM
Goodwood

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiphan
$12 million, they have room for it; but that is a lot of $
If they have the room, I would think it would be a no brainer. A guy that you know can get you to the playoffs vs. the great unknown.

Wishy-washy personality aside, he is your best bet to get into the playoffs and possibly make a NYG-like run.

If they had to cut $12 million in contracts, then you would have to assess it a lot closer and probably release him.
Old 07-08-2008, 09:30 AM
Hialeah Park

Quote:
If they have the room, I would think it would be a no brainer. A guy that you know can get you to the playoffs vs. the great unknown.

Wishy-washy personality aside, he is your best bet to get into the playoffs and possibly make a NYG-like run.

If they had to cut $12 million in contracts, then you would have to assess it a lot closer and probably release him.
No..they're like $25 Million under
Youngest team in the NFL (pretty sure), second youngest with Favre
Old 07-08-2008, 09:44 AM
Woodbine

Quote:

You are probably right, but then what do you do with A-Rodgers? It is a no win situation for the packers. Do you screw the future and the direction of the franchise for this year and for Farve again? If so, you need to trade Rodgers most likely? If not and Farve goes on to have another great year you look terrible or if Rodgers gets hurt or plays like crap you look horrible. Favre just put the packers in a bad situation by doing this. They have all the room in the world to keep him on the roster it just really screws things up.

Also, in the past Favre made ok wide receivers great, now I think we have a great group of Wide Receivers and they are helping to make Favre look better. If and it is a big if, Rodgers is the real deal and stays healthy you could actually see a better more reliable offense than with Favre.
Old 07-08-2008, 09:51 AM
Saratoga

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiphan
You are probably right, but then what do you do with A-Rodgers? It is a no win situation for the packers. Do you screw the future and the direction of the franchise for this year and for Farve again? If so, you need to trade Rodgers most likely? If not and Farve goes on to have another great year you look terrible or if Rodgers gets hurt or plays like crap you look horrible. Favre just put the packers in a bad situation by doing this. They have all the room in the world to keep him on the roster it just really screws things up.

Also, in the past Favre made ok wide receivers great, now I think we have a great group of Wide Receivers and they are helping to make Favre look better. If and it is a big if, Rodgers is the real deal and stays healthy you could actually see a better more reliable offense than with Favre.
NFL is a now league, when you have the pieces you have to go for it. Look at the Bears for example, if they had any other QB then Grossman in the Super Bowl, they would have smoked Indy. Hell, if STEVE WALSH was the QB they would have won that game, albeit it would have been close. Look at the Bears now, two years removed, they will struggle to win 8 games, let alone make the playoffs.
Old 07-08-2008, 10:21 AM
Coach Pants

I don't think Rodgers is the future. And selecting Brohm in the second round tells me the Packers front office doesn't either.

Bring Favre back, trade Rodgers and hand the team over to Brohm in two years.
Old 07-08-2008, 10:30 AM
Thistley Downs

This is what happens when you make a God out of a human.

Especially one who throws lots of interceptions....that no one notices.
Old 07-08-2008, 10:31 AM
Dee Tee Stables

i don't think favre should take heat for retiring. he obviously felt pressure earlier to decide asap, and i guess he didn't think it thru--we all change our minds at times, and on something this important, i think he should be given a pass.