Derby Trail Forums

Go Back   Derby Trail Forums > Main Forum > The Paddock
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 10-08-2006, 10:05 AM
eurobounce

Default Good Morning Everyone

Finally woke up from my trip from Keeneland. Just a couple of thoughts. Circular Quay ran one heck of a race yesterday. He was caught wide, he was inbetween horses and ran a winning race but Great Hunter (4 seconds and 1 win going into yesterday) got a little better trip and first jump on Quay. The horses Great Hunter was facing were far better than what Quay was facing. I for one am totally excited about the 2 year olds this year. Could be the best crop and many of years. I saw Quay back at his barn after his race and he looked perfect. If this horses continues to fill out and improve then he can be a monster. But there are some really good year olds out there.

Don't get all excited about Aussie from yesterday. He got a perfect trip and beat a very suspect field. This horse is a bet agaisnt if he goes in the Breeders Cup turf.

Speed horses did a little better yesterday but I was totally wrong about betting speed at this track. This surface is playing totally different from Turfway. I finally got on board and hit a couple of nice tickets. My biggest ticket was the late pick 4. We singled Kellys Landing on 1 ticket and then went Quay and Hunter, then we went Aussie, Three Valleys, Cosmanaut and then we went all. We had 4 of us on the ticket so I got 25% back.

From what I saw on TV from Belmont. A site I won't forget is when Johnny V looked under his left arm while in the middle of the turn while riding Henny Hughes. He is unreal and a pleasure to watch race.

Bernardini--well, how can he not be your single on Breeders Cup day. I will bet some win money on Sun King, but Bernardini is my single.

English Channel--what was the reasoning of Icy Atlantic!!!! I thought he was suppose to set a nice pace. Well he went SLOW!!!. But English Channel's performance was top notch because the rail was out. We all know that when the rail is out, speed usually holds up on turf.

But what a great day of racing, and I can't wait until next year.
Old 10-08-2006, 10:14 AM
Jerome Park

If you think Circular Quay ran well yesterday then you must be beside yourself by the performance of the third finisher who was forced four wide on the first turn, shuffled back to last, made a long sustained run on the outside down the backstretch and turn to actually clear to the lead into the strecth and eventully get nosed out by Circular Quay for the place. No horse had a tougher trip in that race than him.

Perhaps it was polytrack that did Circular Quay in, though he seemed to run OK, and I would say there is a possibility based on yesterday that he was exposed as a closing sprinter or an overrated horse that benefited from perfect set ups in his wins.
Old 10-08-2006, 10:17 AM
Coach Pants

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackthroatedwind
If you think Circular Quay ran well yesterday then you must be beside yourself by the performance of the third finisher who was forced four wide on the first turn, shuffled back to last, made a long sustained run on the outside down the backstretch and turn to actually clear to the lead into the strecth and eventully get nosed out by Circular Quay for the place. No horse had a tougher trip in that race than him.

Perhaps it was polytrack that did Circular Quay in, though he seemed to run OK, and I would say there is a possibility based on yesterday that he was exposed as a closing sprinter or an overrated horse that benefited from perfect set ups in his wins.
ergghh thought I had a winner when they hit the stretch. Don't remind me.
Old 10-08-2006, 10:18 AM
eurobounce

Quote:

I had $400 to win on Street Sense (the third place horse). I was not very happy with the trip that horse recieved. There is tons of room for improvement on his end.

We talked about Quay only being a closing sprinter. We actually compared Quay to Sun King. I won't be betting Quay for a very long time. In fact, I think we won't even see this horse come triple crown time. He might be one of the two year olds that were head and shoulders above everyone else in the spring and summer. Then in the fall everyone else caught up to him.
Old 10-08-2006, 10:22 AM
Jerome Park

I'm not sure how Circular Quay qualified himself as " head and shoulders " above anyone. He got dream setups in his last two efforts. Look, I never believed in this horse, so it's easy for me to seem smart now, but I still don't know what about his races made him seem so superior that he was receiving the accolades he was.
Old 10-08-2006, 06:14 PM
eurobounce

Quote:
I'm not sure how Circular Quay qualified himself as " head and shoulders " above anyone. He got dream setups in his last two efforts. Look, I never believed in this horse, so it's easy for me to seem smart now, but I still don't know what about his races made him seem so superior that he was receiving the accolades he was.
I feel that same as you do about Quay. I thought With A City was the best horse in the Bashford Manor. But he broke awful and lost all chance. Quay has had everything his own way up until yesterday. Perfect trips, perfect pace etc etc. I think he will be long fogotten by the end of the year.
Old 10-08-2006, 06:19 PM
Super Mod.. and Super Fly

Quote:
Originally Posted by eurobounce
Finally woke up from my trip from Keeneland. Just a couple of thoughts. Circular Quay ran one heck of a race yesterday. He was caught wide, he was inbetween horses and ran a winning race but Great Hunter (4 seconds and 1 win going into yesterday) got a little better trip and first jump on Quay. The horses Great Hunter was facing were far better than what Quay was facing. I for one am totally excited about the 2 year olds this year. Could be the best crop and many of years. I saw Quay back at his barn after his race and he looked perfect. If this horses continues to fill out and improve then he can be a monster. But there are some really good year olds out there.
Quote:
Originally Posted by eurobounce
I feel that same as you do about Quay. I thought With A City was the best horse in the Bashford Manor. But he broke awful and lost all chance. Quay has had everything his own way up until yesterday. Perfect trips, perfect pace etc etc. I think he will be long fogotten by the end of the year.
LOL.. WHAT?!
Old 10-08-2006, 06:28 PM
eurobounce

Quote:
Originally Posted by ateamstupid
LOL.. WHAT?!
Meaning that I wasnt sold on Quay being the dominate 2 year old going into the race yesterday. I was impressed with his race yesterday and if a big IF he continues to improve he could be a force, however, I beleive that he was just slightly more mature than the other 2 year olds out there and now they have caught up with him. Does that clear anything up?